“Loved this historical Inn!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Thayers Inn

Thayers Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Littleton
Naperville, Illinois
“Loved this historical Inn!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Thayers Inn is a wonderful step back into history. We had pictures of past presidents who stayed there lining the walls leading to our room. The room was nicely decorated and very comfortable, with the noise level very low considering that we were at street level on Main Street. We had a very nice stay. My only negative is that there was nothing offered for breakfast. They have a restaurant on the premicise, but couldn't even provide bagels and sweet rolls? They did provide juice, coffee or tea. Aside from this factor I'd stay here again! Oh yes, the employees were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kidsfirst1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

It's old,too old and things start falling apart.This Inn was built in around 1843.Yes it has charm and personality and yes the staff is super and yes it is very well located BUT it needs serious renovation.

Many windows are broken and cannot be open( and there is a note taped on each one to tell you so) so you have to tolerate the very noisy and outdated window air conditioning.Bathtubs are worn down and water temperature goes crazy in the shower if you're not the only one using water.You have to close the bathroom door when you shower so that you don't set off the fire alarm(and there is a note on the wall to tell you so).The floors are dramatically uneven and they did what they could to level the beds and chairs.There was also a lack of cleanliness because many surfaces are old,peeled off ,etc.
We had selected a large corner room with queen size bed for a 3 night stay but we had to sleep in 3 different rooms.On our second night,it was pouring outside and at 1:50AM the ceiling suddenly started leaking on us and on the bed at two different spots(room#30).We had to put the ice bucket on the bed and the garbage can just beside the bed!We called reception and a staff member very candidly said " Thought that might be the reason when i heard the phone..."He kindly gave us the key to a room(#4) one floor below.Lucky for us there had been a no show otherwise the hotel was full booked.We didn't have to transfer our stuff in the middle of the night so we tried to go back to sleep but it was a smaller uncomfortable bed and the air conditioning was even louder in this tiny room so it was really a bad night.
In the morning we settled things with the reception and staff was once again very nice.They reserved a third room for our last night,didn't charge us for our second night and since we were leaving early to go hiking let us transfer our stuff when we return at the end of the afternoon.This third room(#10) had a queen size bed but same noisy AC and old bathtub.
You don't need to be an expert to see that they can't keep up and deterioration rate exceeds renovation rate.When looking at the ceiling of room 30 it was obvious that it was not the first time the ceiling was leaking .We were told that they would "eventually" fix it...

It seems though that the lower levels rooms are slightly better.

That being said GO EAT AT THE BAILIWICK'S because it is one fine and cozy restaurant in the area.We've been there many times and have never been disappointed

Room Tip: roll the dices...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MPF12400
Manchester, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have been going to the Thayers Inn for over 25 years now, and it is my absolute favorite hotel to stay at in the white mountains!!! The hotel is a lovely, old, Inn that has an abundance of lovely rooms and family suites that are warm and inviting!! The staff is very accomodating, and one person in particular by the name of Lori, has been exceptionally and unfailingly gracious and accomodating ever time we have been there!!! Lori always has a big smile and a can do attittude, and she has a fun sense of humor too, and we look forward to seeing her whenever we visit! A great hotel is a great hotel, but people like Lori is what sets you apart and makes you stand out from the others.....keep up the good job Lori, and thanks for always being so pleasant and helpful!!! We look forward to seeing you again sometime soon!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are really nice, and if you are traveling with a family you will want to look in to...
1 Thank Ellen S
Candia NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

This place is amazing! I've stayed here many times over the last 10 years and just realized I never reviewed it. Where to start? Well, how many hotels are fun? They have two whole rooms set up as recreations of a day in the life of Pollyanna, the town's most famous character. Look through the glass door, press the button, and listen to the narration. How many hotels wouldn't have turned those into paying rooms?

How about hallways that are 12 feet wide? Or a spiral staircase that is so out of code (26 inch railings...) that the building inspector must have to walk by blindfolded. Giant original oil paintings that must be 5 feet tall in the hallways. Multiple balconies to hang out and watch Main Street (although the 26 inch railings can send a chill down your spine). Then there's the cupola on the fifth floor that is sooo cool.

My kids love this place and you'll never find a place with more character. Part of that character means there's not a square inch on the floor where if you place a ball it won't immediately start rolling somewhere. Or maybe your kids have never seen real cast iron radiators in action--watch out, they can get hot. Or how about room keys? Remember those metal things you stuck into door knobs. It even have the hotel's address on it so you can toss it in the mail to return it after you carry it home, which I've done a few times.

Each room is different with it's own character (and a range of prices). We used to stay in suite 9/11, two connected rooms. But now we've found an even better room--but I ain't sayin' cause I don't want it filled next time I come up.

There's a great gourmet restaurant in the lower level. And Littleton itself is super. Hang out on the rocks in the river or float through the whirlpools and rapids on the river. Check out the cool suspension bridge just west of the hotel. Chutter's candy store, antique shops, breakfast diners. It's all cheap (or free) fun. No chain stores anywhere in site.

If you like one-offs, the quirky, anything authentic, this is the place!

Room Tip: I'm keeping it a secret. HInt--on third floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jamesl6
Ledyard, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 2 night stay in Thayer's Inn, in Littleton, NH 23-24 Aug 2013. The hotel staff that we interacted with were very friendly, polite and accomodating. We stayed in Room 3, nicely furnished with plenty of old-time charm. This Inn reminded me of another favorite old hotel of mine, The Bell, in Sandwich, Kent, UK. As noted in other reviews I've read about this Inn, the shower/toilet area is small, but at 6ft 1in and 260lbs I didn't have any trouble at all.

My wife and I didn't eat in the Inn's restaurant, Bailiwick's, but it sure was busy during our stay. We would not hesitate to stay in Thayer's Inn during future visits to Littleton, NH.

1 Thank Richard B
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I wasn't too sure what to expect from the hotel, but it ended up being a very good choice for our family. We were travelling with a family of 5, and we reserved rooms 9 and 11 (family suite). They are adjoining rooms, and although they share a bathroom and shower, each has it's own vanity and sink. When combined, the room was extremely large. We had plenty of room for all of.

As you can read from other posts, the hotel is very old, and the rooms feel old, but not in a bad way - in a historic way. The floors slant, the fascia around the doors doesn't line up, the floors squeek when you step on them, but we had a blast there. The rooms are very clean and the beds are quite comfortable. Very quiet at night, and the hotel is right in the middle of town. If there were any "action" in the town, Thayers Inn would be right in the middle of it.

I only have 2 small complaints. Although the staff was friendly enough, they couldn't really answer questions about where to eat or what to do. The town is only 4 blocks long, so I found this somewhat odd. Also, tge breakfast they serve is VERY basic...bagels, fruit, yogurt

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank arrosen
Gray, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

For many years, my husband and I have made weekend pleasure trips to Littleton. Without question, our hotel of choice is Thayers Inn. Not only because of the historic element of the inn (i.e., pictures of past presidents who stayed there can be found in several displays) and the convenience to Main Street, but because of the friendliness and courtesy of the folks who work there.
For instance, when I called to make a reservation recently Laurie Richards answered the phone. When I gave her my name, she recognized it immediately and went out of her way to make me feel like I was making a reservation to come home :) To me, that was very special. Thayers Inn -- a great place to stay when in the area!

1 Thank Barbara F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Littleton
Hampton Inn Littleton
Comfort Inn & Suites Near Burke Mountain
Exit 41 Travel Inn
Exit 41 Travel Inn
#1 of 4 in Littleton

Been to Thayers Inn? Share your experiences!