“A Great Experience”

Bailiwicks on Main
Ranked #8 of 43 Restaurants in Littleton
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Upscale, but approachable. Focusing on fresh, sustainable seafood, Certified Angus beef, and local produce. Large outside seating area, pub, and dining room. Off site catering available
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We went here while staying up in the White Mountains. We made a reservation a few nights ahead for my wife's birthday with another couple. There was a short wait but they made sure we were helped at the bar and did what they could to seat us (we did arrive a little early). The drinks and bar menu were fantastic and everyone was very helpful. They had a very large and diverse menu with many local items. Everything that was ordered was prepared very well with nice presentation. The waiter was very accurate in description and help with plate choices. The serving sizes were quite large and for the quality and environment - the price wasn't too bad. For upper New Hampshire, I don't know if there can be a better place to dine. It was really a great experience.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us by the B&B where we stayed. We made a reservation the morning of the evening we wanted to dine here. We were basically told that there were only three reservations left for that night. We chose a time from the three available times and were told exactly which table we'd be seated at. We accepted the time and the table. When we arrived that night, the table we thought would be ours was already occupied so we were seated elsewhere (which was fine - it was an OK table). However, almost as soon as we were seated, the waitress asked for our drink order. I hadn't even had time to take off my coat and my husband had run out to the car to retrieve his glasses. I told the waitress that we'd just arrived, that my husband had run outside for a moment, and that we hadn't had enough time to decide. She was new - very recently transferred from the partner restaurant in St. Johnsbury, VT - she was tall with dark hair and this was Sat. Oct. 27, 2012. While the food was very good, we felt rushed through the entire dinner. We were there for about one hour total and our bill was $75. We felt that we were on a "meal assembly line" - get us in and out as fast as possible so they could free up the table ($$$$). At the end, my husband had laid out the payment on the table. The tall (seemingly sincere) waitress asked if we were all set. When my husband said "yes," she just scooped up the money without waiting for him to hand it to her! I've never seen this before. My advice: Skip this restaurant until their "egos" shape up!

3  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I love love love Bailiwicks. Hidden in the back of the recently refurbished historic Thayer's Inn in downtown Littleton, the restaurant and bar is warm and inviting wherever you sit, and there's lots of choice -- a small cozy table, or a tall table backed by mirrors (my favorite), or even at the bar. And the food is amazing. We go several times a summer when we're up in the White Mountains, and we always have to get the Calamari Ricardo. The flavors are indescribable, and we've tried to get something that approaches Bailiwicks version at several excellent restaurants, but this dish is uniquely theirs. Just the right kick with hot peppers calmed by roasted peppers and sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, and I don't know what else, but everything comes together perfectly. The calamari is crispy but not overdone or doughy at all.

The other night we went for the Tuscan Grill and a delish Chicken tart. Everything was perfect, and the wine choices were just right for us.

If you're in the North Country, don't miss this gem. It is fabulous and never disappoints.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I visited Bailiwick's in Littleton NH for the first time last night. We don't do a lot of fine dining and you never know what to expect from a place never visited before but Bailiwick's did not dissapoint. We had a memorable meal, in a memorable atmosphere. It was a great experence. The meal was of the finest quality and we both enjoyed ourselves. The service was excellent. Total bill was $91.00 and change with tip. This is considerably more than I'm used to but it was a value for what we recieved. We won't visit frequently but I'm sure we'll go back. Perhaps we'll visit the St. Johnsbury location next. I've noticed that in St. Johnsbury, cars are usually all the way down the street. A testament to the restaurant's ability to provide a nice fine dining experience to happy customers.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We've only been lucky enough to eat here twice in the last two years as we visit when on holiday. It's a must for anyone visiting Littleton or nearby. The staff are always friendly and attentive. The food superb. It's a popular place and we hadn't booked but within a few minutes we were seated at the bar. We ate quite casual. I had the crab cake burger and Steve the Atlantic cod. Both were lovely and fresh and seasoned to compliment the fish not overpower it. We had a side of onion straws to share.............Steve had one and I ate the rest, still droowling about them now. We finished with a pudding each I can't remember the name of mine.Chocolate mountain? It was nice very dense chocolatey pudding. Steve had the Boston cream pie cake and wouldn't share, so it must have been very good. Because of the standards and the busiest of the place we were surprised by what the bill came too. It's not often you eat as well as this for such a good price. It's a shame it's in another country or we'd eat here all the time. We love it.