“We enjoyed our stay!”
Review of Rustic Log Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lisbon
Rustic Log Cabins
boston
“We enjoyed our stay!”
Reviewed October 18, 2007

We stayed in two separate cabins, one attached, and one detached. The grounds are very well maintained and very pretty, especially in October, foliage season. We went without great expectations, and liked our stay enough that we would consider returning again at another time. In fact, the woman (mom of the family who owns and operates the cabins) was extremely helpful in accommodating our timeframe which we changed from our original reservations. This change necessitated them cleaning two cabins for our two-night stay. The first cabin did have a squeaky bed. The second bed was totally wonderful. There are not "burn" marks as in cigarette burn marks (no smoking cabins all), the marks in the carpet are from careless campers who don't know how to keep the hot poker off the carpet. At first I was bummed out that the cabin was carpeted, yet when I walked barefoot on this carpet, I was impressed that it was very clean. The fact that the wall in the bathroom let a little bit of light through was no big deal, really - so what. Our second cabin was better outfittted for a family, but we marveled at the ingenious use of the space, fitting all necessities in. These are rustic cabins, no tv, no cable, no cell phone reception, no microwave. But we loved the wood-burning fireplace, and the being away from it all setting. The highway is noisy, but I doubt you'll be out very late. If you can go to sleep earlier and plan on getting up early, then the roadway noise is not intrusive. The family who runs the cabins were very hospitable to us.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank boston_babe2

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Jamaica Plain, MA
Reviewed April 19, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed here in the fall. I found it online and checked out the Web site--it looked adorable and, yes, rustic. Nice photos, very peaceful-looking.

Well! Turns out the cabins are lined up in a row about 12 feet back from Sugar Hill Road, a fairly busy highway also, and more evocatively, known as Route 117. If you look at the Web site, top photo, you'll see a line of low trees just in front of a cute little log cabin. Those trees are valiantly trying to shield the cabin from the traffic speeding over their roots and down 117. And that's the office cabin--the guest cabins, on the other side, are with one exception (see below) actually closer to the road.

In back of the cabins is a really lovely brook. There's one cabin on the other side of the brook, as the proprietor had described to me on the phone. She'd warned me that that cabin could only be reached by crossing a footbridge over the brook, which she said was a little dicey after dark. Haunted by the memory of having gotten lost in the dark behind a Vermont B&B, and of the argument that had ensued, I opted for another cabin. But that brookfront cabin turned out to be far enough from the road that I suspect its residents spent the weekend listening not to traffic but to babbling, as of a brook. And as it turned out, there was little danger of falling in the water: at night, all night as far as we could tell, the cabin (and, peripherally, the footbridge) appeared to be under interrogation in the light of an unusually powerful floodlamp.

I could actually say a few more negative things, and a few more positive ones, but mostly what I want to say is that I wish the people who own this place were more upfront on their site about the location. Up against the road was not what I was looking for. The log cabins right on the road like that are pretty kitschy, and I can see that I would've probably gotten a kick out of them, and likely would've tried staying in them, if I had randomly passed them on the road. But I wasn't expecting road based on what I saw on the Web site, and the feeling of having been taken, as I had been, dinged my sense of perspective. I should've Googled them and zoomed right in. Should've looked here. Should've spent more of my childhood touring around NH.

Last note: Sign out front says "housekeeping." Info book in room says, and I paraphrase only slightly: "Since these are housekeeping cabins, no maid service will be provided."

Sugar Hill itself, just a short trip down Sugar Hill Road, is gorgeous, and home to Patty's Pancake Parlor. Thinking about it now makes me want to start planning for next time. There have to be other places to stay.

• Stayed October 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank pomsmith
Monroeville, New Jersey
Reviewed July 23, 2005

My wife and I stayed one night at the Rustic Log Cabins while on our way to Maine. The name is correct as these are modest and rustic cabins. Still, we thought our cabin (#5) was really nice. It had a small kitchen and sitting area, a comfortable bed, and a separate bathroom. Maybe some of the other cabins aren't as nice as this one (based on the other reviews), but we had absloutely no complaints with ours. While there wasn't any air-conditioning, they did offer fans for a small deposit. We didn't need one though, and the sound of the stream was perfect to fall asleep to. Based on our experience we would definitely stay here again. By the way, Polly's Pancake Parlor just down the road was great for breakfast!

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank coolbreezeken
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 22, 2005

i agree with the other review except the heat part, because i went in the summer of 2004, the place was nice but the inside needed alittle help, I agree with the bathroom part ,also the burn holes all over the carpet and the nice grills that they promised to be outside where these dirty grills, who I asked for a clean one because I wasn't gonna put my food on that grill, he was very rude came over cleaned it quickly and said how's that good enough, so bring your own grill. and the beds are very uncomfortable and not too many blankets , so bring your own also..

Stayed July 2004
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed January 17, 2005

I hate writing bad reviews, but this place deserves it. My (now) fiance made the reservations at this place, doing all the necessary research, even calling them and having them take extra pictures and asking them questions - he proposed to me on this vacation, so he wanted it to be perfect, and they assured him it would be.

So.. we check in for 6 nights, and they show us to our cabin. So far, so good, it looks cute on the outside. We notice upon entering the cabin that the bathroom / bedroom are not separated by a complete wall, just a partition, so you can hear everything that the other person does while in the bathroom. Umm... ok, no biggie. Then, we notice that it's freezing cold in there, but there's a fireplace and we figure the heater in the corner will also come on.

So - we light the fire, it gets warmer, but the heater is broken and never comes on. Not only that, but the flume is not working correctly (and yes, we know how to work a fireplace). So at 3am, freezing, on an incredibly uncomfortable lumpy bed with thin blankets, the heater not working, the fire alarm starts screeching from the smoke coming out of the fireplace. So we have to open all the doors, waving the smoke out -- three times throughout the night. Neither of us slept all night - granted, I'm a light sleeper, but my fiance is definitely not at all. This man can sleep through a tornado, and he didn't get a wink of sleep that night.

So the next morning we try to make the best of it and ask them to fix the heater and the flume (neither of which, in their opinion, are broken). After which the guy comes over, is rude, and tells us that's basically just the way it is. Another night - freezing (although with more blankets), on a really uncomfortable bed, with the smoke detector going off every 2 hours throughout the night.

At this point, we realize both of us are coughing a *lot* during the day. We realize the cabin is so full of smoke that both of us are actually having breathing problems during the day, in clean air, because of what we're sleeping in at night. Plus, all our clothes smell like we've been dancing around in a campfire.

Eventually, between the sleepless nights, uncomfortable bed, rock hard pillows, crazy fire alarm, smoky cabin, limited hot water in the shower (did I mention that part?), fact that you can hear your cabinmate's every activity in the bathroom, attitude of the owners, etc. we have to bail. It is just too bad - so we move to a Day's Inn (!) and consider ourselves in complete luxury, so happy, even though we forfeited about $250 by doing so, it was worth it, it was honestly that bad (My fiance has since learned to ** read the fine print about the 14 day no cancellation policy.** I don't wonder why they have that.) And in case you're wondering, no, we are not pampered city slickers. I like to backpack, I barrel race horses and love getting dirty, I don't mind sleeping on the ground. But these people are promising, oh, heat? And not delivering. The place is awful. Thank god my fiance and I have a sense of humour, and we ended up having a good time anyways!

15 Thank MPecas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisbon
Hampton Inn Littleton
Profile Motel & Cottages
Inn at Sunset Hill
Inn at Sunset Hill
#1 of 4 in Sugar Hill

Been to Rustic Log Cabins? Share your experiences!