“they nickel and dime you to death”

Mountain Club On Loon
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
GreenLeadersBronze level
plymouth,ma
“they nickel and dime you to death”
Reviewed February 18, 2010

nice place but give me a break when you spend $400.00 a night you would think they would give you a liitle something for your money
(this is what my 12 year old daughter has to say about the hotel) I think the hotel was the best! The tubing was my favorite.The skating rink was to small and there was snow all over it and it was to bumpy.I also enjoyed the cross country skiing and snowshoeing threw the woods. The gift shop outside was really fun to shop in!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mabart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Massachusetts
Reviewed January 22, 2010

We recently stayed at the Mountain Club on Loon for MLK weekend, 2010. We were very disappointed with our stay. We have stayed in many slope-side condos or hotels in the New England area over the past several years, and our stay at Loon was the worst experience that we have had, especially considering that the price per night was no cheaper than our other experiences.

Specifically:

- The temperature controls in the room did not work, and it was unbearably hot in the condo. When we raised this with the front office staff, they told us that it was because upon our arrival, the thermostat was set to below 60. The staff assured us that setting the temperature above 60 would allow the thermostat to function properly. We set the thermostat to 65. The temperature in the room stayed consistently between 76 and 82, a temperature we found stifling.

- We stayed on the 11th floor. The laundry machines on floors 9, 10, 11, and 12 were all out of order, as my husband discovered by going up and down the stairs. It's hard to imagine that all the machines broke within the span of 1 day. Why didn't the front desk staff warn us about this at check-in? Why weren't the machines fixed before such a busy weekend?

- Someone at the front desk could have warned us at check-in that the Black Diamond Grille tends to close to diners without reservations on busy weekends. When we found that the Black Diamond Grille was no longer accepting any diners, we went to the front desk to ask for help in identifying local restaurants to either eat in or takeout. The staff were uniformly unhelpful, telling us only that "everywhere is going to be very busy." I had to insist that they give us contact info for a local restaurant so that we could phone - they did not offer to call the restaurant for us, a level of service that I would have expected as routine at a nice resort.

- Reserved parking, rather than having to drive to four different tight, small parking lots to find a parking spot, would have been preferable.

There were some positive aspects of our trip, such as our experience at the Viaggio Spa, where the level of service was actually good. The food at the Black Diamond Grille was also surprisingly good and portion sizes were huge for the price. Unfortunately, those positive aspects did not make up for the deficiencies of our stay.

The slopeside location was ok, but not as convenient as at some resorts, especially if you are parents of young children and have to lug their gear back and forth.

One other thing which was not the fault of the Mountain Club resort staff, was that we encountered a number of really rude hotel guests and skiers, which further added to the our overall unpleasant experience at Loon.

To summarize, the level of service was very poor for the price we paid (>$300 per night). We were very disappointed about this experience as Loon is so accessible from Boston and we were hoping to make this a regular ski trip. We would not return to the Mountain Club, and we cannot recommend staying here without a major, obvious change in the level of service.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank MassSkier
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 21, 2010

The rooms were much bigger than I expected, and I was surprised by the jacuzzi bathtubs, which were quite a treat after a day of snowboarding (despite the lukewarm water due to everyone coming back at the end of the day). We had everything we needed and were impressed by the updated kitchen. I enjoyed location of the club, which was littlerally at the bottom of the mountain where the ski lifts are, but it was really noisy in the morning when everyone was leaving for the slopes. All in all, a great experience

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Massachusetts
Reviewed January 10, 2010

From the minute I walked into this dated room I knew it had no heat. Front desk reassurd me that there was heat. Maintenence had to come and had it running, but not enough to warm the room to over 63 degrees. Complained to the front desk and they told me it happens all the time! Solved the lack of heat by turning on the electric oven and leaving its door open!!! A weather seal around the AC unit would have healped also.

Buffet breakfast was very poorly run and out of many items. Seemed VERY short of help. Overall not a positive experience and will likely never return.

Do NOT do the Polar Express. It is the BIGGEST scam I have ever seen.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelAllOver123
Boston
Reviewed November 3, 2009

Alright ive been staying at the mountain club on loon since I have been a toddler and I absolutely love it. Though the quality and service seems to have been slashed in half in the past 5-6 years Its still a great hotel.
My most recent visit was from jan 7-15 09 for a great week of skiing and hanging out with my friends. I booked a suite room that was newly renovated and basically it just feels like how they did it the last time.
Pros. Amazing rooms
The kitchen is bigger in the suite than my apartment. With full oven, stove, microwave, toaster, fridge, dishwasher and with plates and silverwear. The king bed is comfy and the king bathroom has a whirpool tub. The staff is polite with one exception. The best thing about the rooms is you walk out of your room. Take an elevator to the bottom floor walk to your ski locker and put your gear on walk outside put your skiis or board on and go. Its even a slight slope from the spot you put your skiis on (from the hotel) to the lift.
The night life is decent, night tubeing, spa, restaurant and bar. Theres also a gameroom for if you have kids though the games are old fun but still old some were even outdated when I was a little kid.
Also I dont know if it was the sorry ecconmy or the time I went(switched it by 5 days that stay) but the mountain was as good as abandoned. The restaurant had maybe 2 other patrons in it when I ate in it. usually its a wait and I was the only one during 2 of the breakfasts....kinda felt like the shinning.
Also the lines were non existent simply put I dont think I waited for more than 5 minutes for the gondola and the trails were picture perfect every morning freshly groomed and sometimes with a few inches of natural powder. The only real crowd I could think of was after school alot of teens would appear.
The mountain it self ranges in trails from bunny slopes to double black diamonds ive been skiing for about 17 and a half years and still enjoy what loon has to offer. Snowboarders will love the half pipe and random parks and well no matter how you get down the mountain you will love it. If your a boarder or skiier you will love the hotel. Free guest parking in an inside garage! Free ski locker and they will give you a good deal on lift tickets. Theres even a steam train that kids love and takes skiiers from one part of the mountain a few hundred feet to the other. Theres a climbing wall inside and an ice skateing rink. The favorite thing I like to do is to ski all day and retire when the lifts close and go sit in the out door hot tub! Basically its outside right next to the brookway trail. If you go out there at the right time you can see the snow cats hard at work grooming the mountain for the next day. But yeah there is just so much you could do at loon that one cant fit it into a review.

The cons.
The thermostat in the room with all my friends was not in proper working order despite a few calls down to the desk and walking down it never got fixed but I could care less it didn't hinder the trip at all for me, my friends dint enjoy it but its life.
Also during breakfast one employee didn't take to kindly to me taking a plate of bacon back to my room I thought it would be fine since they were breaking down the buffet...and the fact id eaten there every day for the past week.
Cell phone service, my friends Tracphone had good service, my nextel had sporadic service at best my tmobile phone would send and receive text though I had lovely service at the top of the mountain and I think Verizon worked thoroughly. Oh and the pool sucks if your an adult.

Over all its wicked awesome. I know that I will be back in a few months and the year after that and so on and so on.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank David C
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Stayed there for wedding and reception of family member. Suite was great with plenty of room for family of four. Staff was first class and views of mountains and Fall colors were awesome.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for two nights in October during a tour of New England to see the Fall. The view from my room was worth 5 stars alone, the forest a riot of colour and the river running fast and white. I spent an age trying to capture it on with my camera but I fear nothing will do it justice. The hotel room was good ( very large bed; jet bath/shower etc); the staff friendly and a restaurant/bar which was reasonably priced with a good menu. Took a gondala trip up the mountain which was well worth it for the views.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincoln
Village Of Loon Mountain
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
InnSeason Resorts Pollard Brook

Been to Mountain Club On Loon? Share your experiences!