“We had a lot of fun”

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
New Boston, New Hampshire, United States
“We had a lot of fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

The building is older, but the bed was super comfortable and the room was clean. The paddle boats were a lot of fun and our daughter greatly enjoyed the pool. They had fireworks over the lake that night. Very good show. I would of given them five stars except we ate breakfast in the restaurant. It was $10.99 a person, we were very disappointed. The waffles were soggy, there wasn't much selection. My husband and I both felt sick afterwards. The waitress was horrible. She didn't show up till about ten minutes after we started eating. She never asked to refill our coffee at all and was no where to be found during most of our meal. We had to wait over fifteen mins just for the check. They weren't that busy and she didn't have many tables. I absolutely loved our stay except for the dining experience. I would defiantly recommend the hotel to a friend. It was also the best deal in the area. We spent a night last year at the EconoLodge up the road and spent way more on the room and they didn't have any of the extras.

Room Tip: Rooms above the first floor have balconies with a better view, front and back. The back view is of t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Spent a mini vacation here with my husband and two older teenage boys. Room was in second half of main lodge, had a king size bed and a full size bed. Room was an adequate size and had view of Indian Head out front door and sort of a lake view out the back balcony. Bathroom was clean and on the newer side. Room had a 50" plasma TV, which generated alot of heat when it was on. Front desk staff were amazing and very helpful with everything from check in, attraction tickets all the way to check out. If you have small kids, this is the place for you as it is geared to the younger set. There was fireworks on the Thursday night we were there which were awesome! Good central location to alot of attractions. My only complaint is that our room was above the laundry for the hotel so it gave off alot of heat and a funny chemical smell. Thankfully after 9pm it seemed to go away so we could enjoy the back balcony for a bit. For my next stay, I would ask for a different area of the hotel. Hotel also had cabins, bungalows and a block of rooms across the street. The tower is a must if you stay there, however, pay attention when dusk is approaching as one night I was exiting the gift shop and a father and son were trapped in the tower and I had to get one of the gift shop employees to unlock the door....

New Bedford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We really had fun! My 5 yr old loved the special guest they had for children! The pools were nice! Our room was very clean huge bathroom! And great view from our balcony! The fireworks were also nice. We had breakfast great selection of hot items we also had dinner one night and it was good I think the meal plan is a little over priced. They only down side was the people in the net room over yelling at 12:30am drunk! But other then that it was nice!

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

So I really want to love this place -- the kitschy roadside totem pole and observation tower and the vintage 1950s tourist signs are a magnet. I also love the UFO connection, a quirky alien abduction story that deserves far more than a plaque. My family had fun -- and I suppose that is all that matters, but the management needs to do a much better job maintaining their property if they want to charge $200/night.

First, the positives.... Indian Head is in the best imaginable location with scenic views of Indian Head and the surrounding mountains, and downtown Woodstock and Lincoln (and Clark's Trading Post) a few skips away. The indoor and outdoor pools are clean and heated and have great views, too. And the food is surprisingly good for a place where you might just expect frozen chicken fingers and canned fruit.

At night, they had a balloon animal artist entertain the kids and she was a huge hit. And who can complain about a classic rock cover band? I also loved the fact they had an antique "Get Your Weight and Fortune" scale in the lobby that works perfectly and still takes pennies.

Now, here's why I question why they are charging $200, besides the obvious point that they can get away with it. Everywhere you look at Indian Head, the place is falling apart. The carpets going up the staircases are frayed and have holes and stains. The paint is falling off the stairwells and there is lots of splintering wood waiting to greet your kiddies' bare feet. Some of the hotel room exterior doors are dented and discolored (with stains that look really creepy).

Inside the rooms, which are spacious and bright, you'll see scuffed up drywall and holes in the fabric on the office chairs and furniture. The bathrooms and linens seemed clean, so there was no need to flee. But the rooms and overall property condition is what you might expect at a $59/night motel off the highway -- not at a "Resort."

Also, the fact they charge 50 cents admission for the Observation Tower is really really cheesy. Of course, we can afford it, but shouldn't the tower token be part of your $200 package?

My advice to Indian Head: You have a true New Hampshire treasure. Take some of your observation tower revenues and reinvest it in some paint and new chairs!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main building where all the action is. Some of the rooms are across the str...
1 Thank Darren G
Central New Hampshire, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Imagine my surprise when my boss decided to hold an management "retreat" in my hometown at the Indian Head. Needless to say, I've never stayed there before, nor really given it much thought. In fact, as I drove by the place over the years, I was always amazed at the number of people there, considering that it had the look and feel of a highway destination spot for the 1950s. Well, I suppose I should have realized why the Indian Head Resort is always crowded even today in 2013.

Let's begin with the most important part -- the quality of the hotel room. The outside of my hotel building (the are several options at this resort) didn't look very special, but the room inside was. It was huge, well appointed, clean, 52" flat screen TV, small deck with chairs, quiet, and simply unexpected. It really looked to me like a 5 star hotel room.

Next, the food was surprisingly good. I had two lunches, a breakfast and a dinner. Service was excellent and fun, food was well prepared in every way. It wasn't necessarily Michelin 5 star, but it was quite good.

The people working at the Indian Head seem to like what they are doing. I noted a spirit about them that was just what you would want when taking a vacation. (even though I wasn't taking a vacation!)

Great outdoor pool that operates 12 months a year, paddle boats (that stop when the pond freezes!), and access to hiking and biking trails, and more make this a great place to consider.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Megapod
Peabody, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We have been staying here for years. The place is over run with kids but that's the point here. We brought our kids and now we are bringing our grandkids. From the pools, game room, ice cream social and kid shows and fireworks this place rocks. It's glorified camping if you stay in the cabins
but it gives you a feeling of seclusion and some privacy. We loved it and so did the kids. The pirate show is awesome.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank zzreal
Preston, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have stayed at this resort many times in the past and always had a pleasant experience. Unfortunately this visit was probably our last. Upon our arrival we found that our room reservation had been changed from a king/double room to a king with pull out single which was not adequate for our three night stay. When we inquired why our reservation was changed we were told that there was miscommunication amongst the staff and they were sold out and nothing could be done. There was no manager on duty to speak to at the time. We also complained to the front desk twice that the desk lamp did not work and it took two days to get it replaced and that lamp was also not working properly...we were told that they are in the process of changing the switches? The bathroom lock did not work and the air conditioner filter was dirty so the air did not flow, we cleaned this ourselves. Some of the staff members were not very accommodating, a bit of attitude. I did speak to one of the managers (Cid) when we checked out who was extremely understanding and I believe will take action on our complaints.

5 Thank rjt10