“unexpected charges”

Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“unexpected charges”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Our family went to this place on vacation and never plan on returning. While the rooms were reasonably maintained, we found it disappointing that they wanted to charge for anything else. We own a timeshare and used this facility for one of our weeks. They wanted to charge for the internet ($5 daily), lose a pool pass ($25), didn't see any tennis or basketball equipment but we are sure they would have charged for that too, the laundry ($1.25 for wash or dry), the billiards ($1.25), and that was just what we saw. We stopped looking after that.
We were so disappointed we just cancelled the rest of our stay. It was in close proximity of some of New Hampshire's funner things, i.e. the appalation trail, the franconian notch, the flume, and other great hiking trails. We went in early summer, and while the view and the hiking was exceptional, this place was a real downer. The city of Lincoln is kind of small, so you may have to travel to littleton to pick up a few things. There is a grocery store close, so food is a little easier to get. We will never book here again, and will avoid this place if we can. If you are a couple on honeymoon and don't really plan to leave the room, this may work for you, but we are a larger family.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank David J

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Hebrew first
Plainville, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My family has owned a fixed week condo (3 bedroom) timeshare here almost 20 years now. In short, it's worth it to stay here. The rooms are clean and large, the full kitchen is nice for cooking so you don't have to eat out all the time, the bathrooms were just completely renovated with a huge new tub and a much nicer vanity. Over the past few years other renovations have been made like new flat screen tv's, electric fireplaces, and new beds and some new appliances. Other things like new carpet and more comfortable couches will hopefully be updated soon. In past years you have never been able to get cell service here but this year you can get decent service with ATT and Verizon in our condo and around the grounds. They are also updating to wireless internet and a woman at reception said that wireless will be free once it is in every room (it's ten dollars a week at our condo). Also our condo didn't have wireless when we got here and they sent a maintance worker up within minutes to install it for us. The main downside to staying here is that the whole sports club could use an update. The tennis courts, pools and hot tubs could all use some upkeep and in my opinion the gym is basically unusable; some of the equipment is from the 1980's. The staff is not all that friendly either. It's still nice to have four pools to choose from and the outdoor hot tub is probably the greatest thing about Loon! Although I have to say that at least one or two of the three indoor hot tubs has been closed the week we are here for the past few years now.

Room Tip: If you are able to stay in a condo or upgrade to one, it would be worth it. I've heard much bett...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank c c
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We been in New Hampshire in spring 2011.Nice ski resort, good condo no air conditioning it’s ok for wintertime My husband go to ski, myself I go to pool once or twice per week. They call it swim club .It has a couple of pools, even the large pool is too small for a swimmer. Back then I noticed a couple of things, The coin operated lockers didn’t work The showers were blocked , I couldn’t turn them on none of them. It took some time until the mechanic showed up and fixed the showers I had to wait
because I need to take a cold shower before entering pool He fixed the showers but he didn’t fix the lockers. I remember he was not too friendly and pool staff members not friendly either People were complaining about them all the time. That was last year.
Unfortunately this year we booked our 2012 vacation at the same resort for various reasons. There were no available close ski resorts etc. I was not too happy about it but I hoped they fixed the problems around the pool. And I had a horrible experience there First of all lockers and showers still didn’t work none of them.,
I called the woman from the pool desk. She did something and turned on one of the showers, I asked her what was going why the showers don’t work? “Must be a trick’ she sais wisely.
I took a cold shower and I get in the pool. After I finished my workout I was in the shower when I heard in a locker room a man saying “we closed 5 minutes ago.” I dressed up in a hurry but I didn’t get a chance to dry my hair. The man and the women were at the pool desk, The man looked at me and asked the woman if he should call the cops I asked him , why he should call the cops? He didn’t give me one reason he burst out in rage instead.. He started to yell at me Shut up shut up with so much hatred and hostility in his voice that I got scared I asked him one more time ,why he should call the cops> He couldn’t give me an articulate answer, he just yell louder and louder, shut up, shut up.. over and over again. I told him I’m RCI customer and he cannot yell at me like that He keep yelling Clearly he was trying to intimidate me .I asked the woman to give me a dry towel for my hair. . The woman joined the yelling and hatred .She yell at me ” I don’t give you anything , get out and you are not allowed hear anymore” I have free access to pools but, who would go back anyway Who was that rude ,poor judgmental woman and who’s that psycho guy? Same evening I rushed to the reception to report. They were closed. Doors locked. Next day I reported to the guy and the girl at the front desk. I described them because I didn’t know their names. They wore no nametag Tall man in his late twenties/ early thirties, dark brown hair, brown eyes ,fair, and middle age woman light brown hair, grey eyes. The girl and the guy were not surprised, they seem they were used to it. The girl formally apologies I told them I’m not interested to go back there, their behavior is unacceptable They both agreed that was unacceptable. Nick, the guy , told me he’ll talk to the general manager and pool manager however they are private he said. That swim club must have a contract with the resort they should respect. And they operate privately How? If they can make the person feel uncomfortable and he or she is not coming back is good for them Less used towels less cleanup. Why to bother to be nice to the customer/client/visitor? They still get their share from maintenance fees and prepaid packages pool included And they get it upfront long before the client get there. This is the fault of the management of the resort.
And they “operate” under the umbrella of an international exchange company the RCI.
It’s an outrage.

6 Thank catalin u
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Close proximity for Loon Mountain skiing and driveable distances to other ski resorts in White Mountains.
Accommodation as good as any other non-luxurious resorts with lots of facilities including pool, spas (indoor & outdoor), tennis courts etc.
Spacious condos, free parking, cooking facilities, close to Lincoln township.
Worthwhile considering.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I read all the reviews before booking and my husband and I have pretty low standards, so I knew it would be slightly dated, but it really was not that bad and it did not phase us. We wanted a place with indoor pool and fireplace and under $150 a night, which this was. We do not ski but went tubing at the Mt. and that was nice. The pool area was perfect. There are 2 large pools, one of them warm enough so my picky toddler did not mind at all. It also had 2 large indoor hot tubs and one outdoor hot tub. We used the pool area for like 2 hours a day at least and it was great. I agree that the place is noisy and you can hear lots of noises from other units, but we brought a fan and sound machine and it was fine. I agree that they should upgrade so that you do not need to rent a modem for $5 for the internet, most places these days just have free wifi, even restaurants, so they should upgrade that. The pull out couch was wicked uncomfortable, so all four of us (hubby and the 2 kids) slept in the king, which was fine. Overall I would come here again, the view was awesome, the staff was very nice, the room seemed fine to me. And the pools were great, and warm enough for kids.

Room Tip: You want the second floor or above for best mountain view
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We had a great stay at The Village of Loon Mountain.

We chose this place because of the shuttle that serviced Loon Mountain. Also because I had stayed at other resorts owned by VRI and I've always found the rooms clean and confortable.

Yes the units are dated but not unliveable.

The night front desk person was not unpleasant, but it seamed that we were disturbing him.

Other than that we enjoyed our stay.

mass
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We stayed here during Feb vacation week and you can't beat the location: right across the street from Loon with a bus that takes you back and forth at 15 minute intervals. Loon was a great mountain. The units are similar to an apartment you would have rented in college; you can hear all the pipes and noises from other units and the kitchen equipment so low end you can hardly do much with it besides heat leftovers. Despite this I would stay here again but would have definetly rented a 2 bedroom with 2 kids. Although the unit says it sleeps 4 ; with all the ski equipment it is WAY too cramped. Also the resort says it has internet access which translated means they have a modem in the lobby you can use for $5 an hour. Seriously?

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family