“refuting last two reviews” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Franconia Notch Motel

Franconia Notch Motel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
Plaistow, New Hampshire
“refuting last two reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I read the reviews after making my reservation and nearly cancelled. So glad I didn't. I stayed three nights and enjoyed myself. Yes, it is older and could use updating (and more outlets)- but it was very clean . I also stayed in unit 2 so don't really understand the complaints. The people there were extremely helpful and friendly. I had brought Fabreze and cleaning products with me (because of the reviews) but did not need to use either of them. Room smelled fresh (bedspread too), bathroom clean, bed clean and comfortable. Yes, the fridge and microwave are small, but I wasn't expecting full size. I really don't understand the comment about the folks at the front desk being 'crooks', maybe a mistake was made but that comment is not called for. Was it made because they are mideastern? Is it a matter of their ethnicity? They were so helpful and friendly - I will certainly go back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Dottie C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Well i did not enjoy my stay. It wasn't very clean. The service at the front desk was terrible. They stole $50 off my credit card and they are crooks. The rooms are very very small. The fridge is very small. I felt closterphobic. I would not recommend staying there.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Lincoln hotels

Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I can't say anything nice about this place. I stayed 1 night and that was enough. Musty smelly room, over loaded wall outlets, outlets that didn't work. Tile coming off walls, vinyl flooring pulling up around edges in bathroom, tub calking needed re-doing. Very old AC unit and very dirty dust covered AC unit fins. Bedspread very musty smelling. Back of entrance wood door showed heavy black mold. I can only speak on unit #2. (They also have small cabins.) The river runs behind the place, picnic tables riverside, steep stair descent, watch out for the phone wire laying on the ground. Picnic table, gazebo, loungers out front for guest use.
Go further up the road to Parker's motel, little more money but so much better. I pd. $70. add another $20 and have a nice place to stay with someone else.

Room Tip: No windows facing river.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank boarstone
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Excellent rooms for little money. Be prepared to stay in the 50's. Laid back hotel built in the 50's. Nothing is up dated. No pool. No breakfast but there are lots of low priced places nearby for breakfast. Nice owner's. They can't do enough for you. They are new to this country but understand customer service. If online booking is full call them. We stayed in small room (6). Very small room at a very small price. If you are looking for a quiet laid back vacation this place this place is for you. There is a beautiful river behind the motel. Shut off the AC and open the windows listen to the river. What a peaceful sound.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keith C
Bangor, ME
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

The check in process was very easy, the owner very kind with very limited English speaking skills. So communicating was a bit of a hassle. BUT he was very accommodating to our families needs. We stayed in a cottage and it smelled very musty and moldy and just ewww, BUT everything was clean.....very clean! It was so hot and humid out that the TWO air conditions were so welcoming at the end of the day. We always bring our own coffee maker so the walk to the office for morning coffee wasn't an issue for us. I am not sure if the smell is from the AC or under the cabin itself...it wasn't from anything in the cabin, it had obviously been deep cleaned. I was also under the impression that our cabin had a bathtub so was kind of surprised by only a shower, so we emptied the cooler and bathed our little man in that, it worked! Would we stay again, yes. The owner was so kind and obviously working to make things better, we respect that and wish him and his family the best.

Room Tip: Bring your own coffee maker. River is loud if you open your window, we loved it...other might not.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hollis, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed one night. It was the cheapest room I could find in the area. I will stay there again. It was clean, well-equipped with a mini-frig, cable TV and table and chairs in addition to the king size bed. It is an old-style motel/cabin place, but I knew that when I booked and I was not disappointed.
The location is very handy to area restaurants and attractions. The only reason I didn't rate it excellent is that it was not to convenient to have to go to the office for the ice machine and coffee. The manager was quite friendly and the complimentary snacks at the check-in was a nice touch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gerry5611
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I would echo many of the other reviews... this property is a great location and gives lots of value and friendly service. One problem is that GPS units don't seem to recognize the address, but the easy fix is to enter the address of something nearby. Management is aware of this and frustrated that they've not been able to fix that.

We happened to stay here on our last night of vacation and it was the perfect choice... we felt a bit like we'd stepped back in time to the days of roadside motor courts and cabins. The property is dated, but extremely well-maintained. Our room was spacious and included all the promised amenities including a well-lit desk and separate seating area with chairs and a table.

We were greeted enthusiastically and offered smiling help as we packed the truck before checking out... Had it not been raining we'd have no doubt spent some time sitting at one of the provided picnic tables along the river that runs behind the hotel. We've talked about returning for a weekend just for the relaxation of a get-away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple