“Never Stay Here! Could be bad for your health!”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
Gardner, Massachusetts
“Never Stay Here! Could be bad for your health!”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

If ever there is a time to listen to a review,this is it. My huband and I decided on a last minute trip with the kids. I found this hotel online. I must say a little nervous after some of the reveiws but, was willing to give them a chance since some of the reveiws were a couple years old. We stayed in room 124. The STRONG oder of must and moldiness was unbelievable. Gagging. After a wahile in the room we started coming down with headaches. I went out and purchased air fresheners just to get through the night. It was a sold out weekend in Lincoln. Floiage. So we had no choice. After contacting the econo lodge phone number to complain when we got back I was told I would hear from the manager within 72 hours. That never happened. The general manager megan was not accomodating at all. Acyually a bit sarcastic.

• Stayed October 2010
3 Thank gusfamily_10
bestofnh2010, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
First, my apologies on not receiving a response within 72 hours. Our responses are documented and tracked via the franchise company, which would have been the company you contacted. I can assure you that you were indeed mailed a written response, and that I did indeed look into the matter upon your departure. I sincerely wish your family would have brought the matter to our attention prior to checkout as we would have been more than happy to change your room, and be able to address your concerns immediately. We strive for the BEST satisfaction from our guests, and as a actively involved manager, it is disappointing to learn of a dissatisfied stay from a previous guest. Unfortunately, it was not brought to our attention until check out, which did not present us the opportunity to address your concerns, and allow us to make your stay more enjoyable and comfortable. Furthermore, the concerns that you contacted us about were most definitely addressed with all departments, and the appropriate measures were taken to rectify to them. In addition, some of the issues that were brought to our attention were inspected thoroughly, and by three different managers, but were unable to be discovered. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the property.

Kindest Regards,

Megan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We booked this hotel while travelling in the New Hampshire area. Went to Concord NH and booked through AAA (CAA), as we're from Canada. When they gave us the rate of $99.00/night, we thought it was a steal! Well, when we got there, I realized that $99.00/night was a steal alright - by the HOTEL! It was just grosse! I'm not one who is super fussy about hotels, but this one was the worst I had ever seen. We've travelled quite a bit over the past couple of years, and never experienced this. It had an awful smell, had to wash all my clothes when I got home. I will never again book through AAA, where this is concerned, if I knew it was a 2-star hotel. The pool(s) were terrible, thank God there was Whales Tale Waterpark close by, so we could enjoy some clean water for swimming. This hotel has to be renovated somehow. And the gym area, was the worst! one treadmille I think and one stationary bicycle... never EVER again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Lincoln hotels

South Deerfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Just got home, August 16-17, 2010 visit.
Room 116, Clean and comfortable.
Nice location, sliding door to parking lot, pool, fitness center, sauna.
Emily was a delight at check in.
Beds were comfy.
Close to all attractions.
Pool area (indoor one) had a funky smell (chemicals I believe).
Breakfast was a wide variety, and well stocked.
Megan was the manager, and assured my concerns that I'd feared from tripadvisor were unwarranted, and we got a room where pets weren't allowed.
Least expensive place in the area, a real deal.
$5 Lobster with $19.99 Prime Rib up the street at Dads' Restaurant.
Cannon Mountain Tram, The Flume, and Hobo Hills Mini Golf kept us busy.

Northern New Hampshire
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Check in was fine- but when we opened the door to our room, we found it to be so dark and stinky- it was as if we were walking into and old musty abandoned camp in the 1970's or some strange time warp. The walls were bright yellow, almost lime green and very scuffed and beat up everywhere. The carpet felt grimy and was dusty in corners and behind things.The windows and door were filthy and full of cobwebs and bugs. The bathroom was very dirty, with dust and dirt on an ancient, wooden- full height, vanity which sets around the toilet. Dirt, dust and rust covered the floor heater next to the toilet and there was black mold covering the wall and ceiling above the shower stall. A cloth had not seen this area in quite some time. There were two love seats in the living area, which felt dirty and had chips and food in the seams and under the cushions.
Tried out the outdoor pool, which at first seemed nice- yet pretty cloudy. When we made our way to the deep end, we noticed there were suds forming in the corner- and they were brownish in color! Began to notice a lot of hair and dirt as well before we got out. Very gross.
We would have asked for another room or found another place, but they were fully booked, as was the entire area. Luckily it was for one night- so we just stopped looking around the room too much and hoped there were no creepy crawlies in the beds.
We decided in the morning that besides an old, old camp we rented in Maine(it was an old camp!), this was the darkest and dirtiest room we have ever booked and stayed in. There are plenty of nice places to stay at in this area, which we visit frequently, so this will be the last time here. I suggest you also find something else.

2 Thank Hammy68
I am very concerned about the experience you had at our property. Our number one goal in the industry, and for ourselves as a team here, is for complete guest satisfaction. Regardless if the hotel seemed to be full booked, I would have very much liked the opportunity to rectify your situation immediately during your stay. This is our first notification that you did not enjoy your stay. Unfortunately, when such instances are not brought to our attention, it does not allow us the opportunity to take immediate action in regards to your concerns, and therefore are unable to resolve them. I would have been very happy to have had the chance to have your concerns brought to my attention, and to especially address your concerns so that your stay was not only enjoyable, but memorable. Even a one night last minute stop to stay the night, means just as much to me as a guest who stays for a week. Every guest is important to us, and their enjoyment of what we offer is even more important. We want all of our guests to be happy, feel welcomed, comfortable, and feel great about their stay with us. I am disappointed to learn that this was indeed, not the case, but will assure you that if you are in our area again, to please contact me directly, and allow us the opportunity to discuss this further with you, and be given a second chance to show you that our attention is focused indeed on your needs here!
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2010

my sister, her husband and I stayed in the 2 bedroom suite across from the outdoors swimming pool for 2 nights - this place is a disaster -- when we got there after a 7 hour trip from nY we were told the outdoor pool was being treated and was not open -- we proceeded to the indoors pool, which was smelly and dirty - our room was so outdated and
the couches went to the floor when you sat on them - there was a musty odor in the room andsprings in your back when sleeping -- the next day - after a full day of sightseeing and temperatures in the 90's we came back to again be told that the outdoor pool was being treated and we could not go in - sat on the front porch looking at a pool that was not accessible to us again - in the morning breakfast was a disaster - not enough seats andnot enough food to go around - ran out of coffee, sausages and
bagels, and it was only 8;30 in the morning -- we paid a lot of money to stay at this motel for 2 nights and we could not wait to get out ---- horrible - something should be done and people should get a refund sent to them for all of the inconveniences - this plae is not cheap, but you get nothing for your money!!! i must say that the staff was extremely pleasant but was unable to help us out withthe pool situation. Do not stay here if you do not want to waste your money - or theyshould send you a free voucher for 2 nights at another motel that knows how to operate a business.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank smc1466
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We only stayed here one night because it was out of an emergency. The hotel and room were clean, although room is a little outdated. We're not there for the decor. The staff was very helpful. I like how they had microwave and mini fridge in room. They had an indoor pool that we didn't use, but looked nice. The outdoor pool looked clean and refreshing, although we didn't use it. They had a laundry room that was clean and that we used. I want to thank Joshua and the GM who was very accommodating after my son slipped and fell in the shower. That was not the hotel's fault. They were understanding and so helpful. Thank you!!! Because it was in the middle of the night and if we were at the ER all night, we wouldn't be charged for an extra day if we came back late. I know some would think it's the least they could do, but they were very kind. The breakfast was very good. They had waffles, cereal, juice, frozen eggs and sauge for sandwiches. FYI - I wish I could thank the Lincoln police officer who helped with my son that night. He was sweet and really was so compassionate. Wish we could have stayed longer, but that was an unexpected expense. I'd love to stay here for they had both pools and close to many attractions.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I made a reservation here in March for a ski trip. I inadvertently grabbed this motel at the wrong end of the Kancamagus Highway. I booked two nights, a Friday and a Saturday. Their cancellation policy is one night fee. Before I called to modify, I read the cancellation policy. If the reservation is canceled, there is a one night fee. Ok ,my mess up so I was ok with eating one evening and moving on Saturday morning since I was driving up late.

Here's the exact wording of the cancellation notice via Hotels.COM:

"Cancellations or changes made after 4:00 PM (Eastern Standard Time (US & Canada)) on Mar 4, 2010 are subject to a 1 Night Room & Tax penalty"

It was after four. Guilty. But.

I called them and asked if I could change the reservation to subtract the Saturday stay. I explained my situation. They were adamant about charging me the change fee. I ran the numbers. If I stayed there for one night it would cost me two nights. If I stayed there for no nights, it would cost me one night. I explained this to them and stated that if they thought about it they were losing money by not having me stay. Their booking system website indicated plenty of rooms available. They continued to refuse to accommodate me so I opted to instead cancel entirely. I found a place (Mt. Washington Valley Inn) $30 cheaper, at the right end of the highway, and from the outside appearances much better. Do I have an opinion if this place is good or bad? No. Do I recommend this place? Absolutely not. Their business practices leave a lot to be desired and so does their customer service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Martin H
I just wanted the opportunity to clarify that we are not hotels.com, unfortunately when you book through an outside party (outside of the hotel) it is not the hotel directly who can waive, adjust, or refund charges, or the cancellation policy. Some third party website companies are a bit more strict than others, but I always recommend to individuals that travel, to review everything and double check directly with hotels and all websites before booking. This will not only ensure the BEST deal possible to the guest, but will give you the full accuracy of policies. Again, I apologize if the staff on board were unable to help you, but we are only able to honor the reservations booked by outside companies, and are not authorized to make changes to their client's accounts. Feel free to call us directly anytime to book, or to simply answer any questions or concerns you may have. We are very happy to assist and help with anything that we can!

Thanks! :)