“Dissappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
Chelmsford, Massachusetts, United States
“Dissappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We had a 3 day stay at the beacon resort,it was the long 4th of july weekend,I was very disappointed. the food was excellant but the service was very slow, two hrs for dining. it appeared to be understaffed and could not handle the volume. back in the 80s this place was jumping , it was packed, geared for the elderly. there is no entertaiment not like it was before, the lounge not opened at all so you could not go to the lounge. i remember playing keno in the lounge and other gambling games you could play, even bingo,not anymore. the place is run
down and the room that i had i felt was out of date,cleaning service was good. Now for entertainment the beacon advertises indian head resort for entertaiment. they really have cut back alot. dont think i will be returning to the beacon unfortunately

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Malden, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We go every year up to the White Mountains and stay at the Beacon.
This time was no different, we had a fantastic time!!!!

The Beacon is very family oriented, having 4 children that is a plus!
We are never dissapointed, and this year the rooms were updated and beautiful.
The inside pool also was updated and looked beautiful. We have so much fun we usually just hang out at the pools.

Will see them again next year!

Room Tip: I love staying in the Pool rooms. Out your front door is the outside pool and out the back door of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Diana J
West Warwick, Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our first night in for vacation we said "lets try Dad's its right down the road" the atomosphere was nice, workers very nice, gift shop good. We opened the menu and the first thing was the prices were $$$$$ very high.. we had soda to drink and veal parm, fettuccin alfredo and it was just me and my husband came to $53.00 and the veal was soggy from the water from the pasta ran down there was so much in the plate no crunch at all. My fettuc. was tasty but there was so much sauce it was drowning. Salad & rolls were good. We said this was the worst meal we have had in awhile and disappointed as our first night out already $50 "gone" and not worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Lincoln hotels

Newton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Recently on May 2013, we stayed for 3 days in the Beacon Resort. What a pleasant experience. Our room was not fancy, but was extremely clean , spacious with refrigerator and coffeemaker machine. Pretty good indoor swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi. Unfortunately Dad’s restaurant was closed, but we found lot of nice restaurants in nearby area. Service was just great – we were provided with maps, directions , advices by lady at the registration desk.

Thanks for good vacation,
Ella

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 163EllaL
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We had been to The Beacon Resort many years ago and always had a great time. So when I saw a groupon for it, I thought it would be a great weekend away. We took my parents to celebrate Mother's Day and their 55th Wedding Anniversary. What a shock when we arrived and found the place to be run down and in need of major repairs. We arrived on May 10, 2013 and thought we were staying in Beacon North (groupon was for front view rooms). Well, we found out that Beacon North (had indoor pool and better rooms) had been sold to another hotel change just down the road. We got to our rooms and what a joke they were. Have you ever stayed in a "resort" and the front door to your unit was an "indoor door" that you would use in your own home. It wasn't a steel door, it was a hollow indoor room. Well, I didn't feel very safe knowing that you could put your fist through the door. The bedding and room décor could use a major overhall. My parents arrived and we had connecting rooms. My father noticed right away the "hollow indoor doors". Was the little chain on the door going to stop someone from breaking in? NO. The bathroom tub had a few bugs in it, the toilet got clogged 2x while we were there, the silver tissue box on the wall was a nice touch. Made me think of back in the 50's. The door to the bathroom was even level. My husband could insert his fingers through the opening at the top of the door and pull on the door to open. You could shut the door and then just push on it and it would open. The mini refrigerator in the room frozen our stuff (and we checked the dial).
That evening we went out to a beautiful place for dinner to celebrate their anniversary (The Common Man). The food was to die for. The next morning we head out to do shopping in North Conway. We arrived back and decided to go swimming with our daughter. The indoor pool was freezing and we couldn't swim. The Jacuzzi was just as cold. No phone in the pool area to call anyone to warm the water up. My parents did the lobster back at Dad's Restaurant and said food was ok - nothing to rave about. We went some other place as we don't eat fish. They came back and said they had entertainment while they ate. I inquired to what type of entertainment...they said some guy next to them was eating mussels with his fingers and then when he got up, his parents fell to the floor. They couldn't stop laughing. We stopped at the front desk to get breakfast coupons for Sunday morning...I voiced my opinion on what I thought about the place and the girl behind the counter could care less about what I was saying. I told her that they needed to do a major overall of this place or change their name to Beacon Motel. This place reminds me of a Motel 6, very cheap and disgusting. The next morning we went to Dad's Restaurant at 8:00 a.m. (they opened at 7:30). I asked for roast beef hash, the girl said that they were all out of it. I looked around the room to see how many people were there (only our table and 1 other table). How could they be out of this so early I asked? Waitress had no response. I checked out after breakfast and voice my opinion again about this place. I would never stay at this place again and would someone else. There are so many places to stay. They should be ashamed of themselves for letting this place get this bad!

Room Tip: Here is best tip - stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank catluver01876
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Beacon Resort for the weekend (May 10-12, 2013). The weather was not great (it rained most of the time) but that is not the fault of the Beacon.

The Room:
Our room was a jacuuzi room (room# 147) on the ground floor. The room is not fancy but it does have a very spacious jacuuzi tub in the corner of the room, which can fit two people comfortably. ;) Let me say right now that I have never experienced such a great hot water supply. I filled up the jacuzzi with very hot water and my hubby took a shower right after and still had hot water. That was very impressive. The bathroom was small but it housed a shower/tub, toilet, and vanity. You should know in advance, they supply soap but there was no shampoo or conditioner. There is also a nice tv in the room and good channels.

The resort has free wifi but I will say that it was very slow and sometimes didn't work at all. The weather may have been a factor there because the internet worked ok, when it was sunny out.

The pools:
They have 1 indoor pool and one outdoor pool. The outdoor pool was not open yet (still too cold outside). The indoor pool was great! It was big and reached a depth of 5'4" so you could jump in (but no diving). I read complaints about the pool liner being ripped but it had already been fixed by the time we arrived. The pool was definitely heated. It wasn't warm but it wasn't really cold either. Except for one mean little girl that jumped in to spash me on purpose (before I had gotten in), the pool environment was nice. People respect your space and are friendly.

There is also a nice sized jacuzzi near the pool (aka: a great place for parents to hang out). I read a review here a short time ago that complained about the jacuzzi having one pump that hangs over the edge into the water and that it's "just over grown pool with attached portable whirlpool." I am going to disagree. There is a weird looking thing that hangs one the edge of the jacuzzi but it does not supple the bubbles. I'm pretty sure it is an automatic water feeder for when the water gets low. There is a switch on the wall to make the jacuzzi turn on. The jacuzzi temperature was hit and miss. The first time we used the hot tub it was very warm. The second time it was more like a luke warm bath. I think they must turn on the heat at a certain time, which would account for the temperature difference.

Food:
We ate at the on site restaurant (Dad's Restaurant?) every day for breakfast and dinner. The food there is fantastic. My hubby had a prime rib and it was so thick. The portions were huge! The serving staff are very nice and helpful. They also have a meal plan you can buy at a reasonable rate.

The attractions:
We clearly went up to NH too early in the season. Almost everything was closed. We went to the Flume, which was beautiful and fun (you better like walking). Clarks Trading Post was not open yet but having been there before, it is a lot of fun. Loon Mountain was also closed. I'm pretty sure most things are not opening up until the end of May/early June. There is a great mini-golf up there (sorry, I can't remember the name). They also have zip line adventures, which we didn't get to try due to the rain but it looks like fun. This is definitely a tourist town. There is not a lot going on in between seasons so if you are looking to keep busy, go in the summer or winter (not early spring).

We had a great trip (again, except for the rain) and will absolutely go back again in the summer months.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Elle P
BeaconLincoln_NH, Director of Sales at Days Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the Beacon Resort. We are so happy that you had a good time even though it rained. We will look forward to having you back again in the summer.
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

My daughter and I stayed there last summer. I thought the hotel was expensive for what you get. The room was clean and spacious but that's about all the place offers. And the food is very good. I never stayed at a hotel where there were no samples (shampoo, lotion, etc.) in the bathrooms. Maybe they can't afford them. As I recall one of the pools wasn't working. There is a hotel/motel a little ways up the street that offers a lot more for the money including the mountains right behind the hotel, boats in a little lake, great whirlpool part of the pool and the food is just as good. The Beacon Resort should charge less to make it a good value for the money -- a ripoff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jacqueline S
beaconmotel, Manager at Days Inn Lincoln, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. We do have two pools, the outdoor pool is only open from June thru early September. The Indoor pool is open year round. At the present time we are beginning renovations of the rooms and cottages. We do hope that you will visit the Beacon again.