“It was a lovely old traditional family run business”

Clark's Trading Post and the White Mt. Central RR
Ranked #1 of 3 Shopping in Lincoln
More attraction details
Owner description: Seasonal business. A FUN FAMILY FAVORITE! Clark's Trading Post is celebrating over 80 years of entertainment. Don't miss the 30 minute bear show, starring our trained North American Black Bears! Ride the White Mt. Central RR steam train ride through the covered bridge and into Wolfman's Territory. From late June through Labor Day be amazed by our Chinese Acrobatic Troupe. Ride a Segway, test your skills on the Climbing Tower, cool off on the Blaster Boats or take a guided tour through Merlin's Mystical Mansion or the Tuttle's Rustic House. Visit our five museum buildings on the Victorian Main Street. Your admission ticket includes all rides and shows. Get a bite to eat at the Whistle Stop Snack Bar, Pullman's Lunch or make your own sundae at the Peppermint Saloon. Browse through the Candle Shop, Maple Cabin, Kilburn's Photo Parlor, Print Shop and our Main Gift Shop. We have the largest gift shop in the White Mountains containing the finest selection of souvenirs and gifts. We can BEARLY wait to see you at Clark's!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The weather was warm and sunny so we decided to spend the afternoon at Clarks trading post. Half a day was enough time as it’s not a huge place and it wasn’t really crowded which was nice. We took the steam train ride out with the crazy man chasing the train, which was bizarre but great fun, you weren’t sure where he was going to pop up next, our 14 month son was not phased by all the bangs. We went in the museums which were chokka blok of American Memorabilia, our son was fascinated with it. It was really interesting all the old vehicles, toys etc.. The bears were lovely and looked very well kept. It was a lovely old traditional family run business.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We traveled here with our 2 year daughter and another family with three children around the same age. It was a fun day all around. We all enjoyed the train ride and being chased by the wolfman. I still remembered that from my childhood. We also had a great day walking around looking in the few shops they had. It was a great family fun day. It could probably be done in a half of day and is a little better for older children.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My daughter and I wanted to take her children, ages 2 and 5 on a train ride, so we decided to give Clark trading post a try. In all the years we travelled to the White Mts, we had never been there. We were unaware, until we boarded the train, that there was a "Wolfman" along the route. He is unhappy with the RR because he thinks it is going through his property. My grandchildren, along with the other young children In our car, were terrified and kept their eyes covered the whole time. Wolfman hollers and screams, shoots a rifle and a canon. All so inappropriate and unnecessary. We thought we were taking a short scenic ride on a steam train. (From there we drove to Lincoln and took a beautiful ride on The Hobo train. No train phobia - the children loved it.)
The bear show was fine. The owner spent quite a bit of time in the beginning of the show assuring us that he is doing the right thing for the bears. However, it was hard to watch the bears pacing back and forth in a small space before the show began...I wasn't convinced.
We won't go there again.

4  Thank XSkier
Anne E, Manager at Clark's Trading Post and the White Mt. Central RR, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for bringing your daughter and grandchildren to Clark’s Trading Post. You are correct, some small children are frightened of the Wolfman. It may not really be the Wolfman himself, as much it is the fireworks or other loud sounds that startle the children. As we have found over the decades, once the children grow up and ride the train as an older child, they wonder just what they were so afraid of. We are happy you found an enjoyable ride on the Hobo RR with your family. We hope you will come back to the White Mountain to visit again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought it was really cruel the way they treat those bears. Barbaric. We walked out. I only wish I could have gotten my money back. I'm surprised we still allow that sort of thing in this day and age...

10  Thank thedishBoston

We do appreciate everyone’s opinion on the TripAdvisor review of our property. I must agree with the first seven words of your review…you are in the minority with your thoughts about the bears. Most reviews support that we treat our bears with love and kindness. The bears are well cared for which has resulted in our bears living five times longer than bears in the woods of New Hampshire. They receive a balanced diet, are healthy and have access to veterinary care when needed. They are not treated with unkind or barbaric acts. We love our bears and take very good care of them.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

A must. Been going there since a kid and now I bring my grand kids. Fun for the entire family. Train ride, amusements, the Wolfman will delight and scare the kids!!! Museum(s). Wonderful bear show. Food and snacks. A souvenir store with lots of gifts for young and old(er). If you visit Franconia Notch....you have to visit Clarks Trading Post.