“Still a work in progress”

The Kancamagus Lodge
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed October 15, 2006

While neat and clean, this roadside motel has many problems in trying to compete with other accommodations in the area. It lacks many of the common amenities that travelers expect to find these days. If you have a choice, look for other, more uptodate properties.

Stayed: October 2006
2  Thank Cedarina

Reviewed October 10, 2006

The location of the hotel is excellent for couples, families or individuals looking to explore the Kancamagus highway area. Clark's trading post is nearby and Storyland was not that far of a ride. The rooms were clean and plenty of towels/bath supplies were provided by the housekeeping staff, who came through each morning. The price was reasonable as well ($192 for 2 nights-over Columbus weekend, a high peak time for this area). The restaurant is excellentt-we ate both dinner there and breakfast. Expect a wait at dinner on busy nights as they are open to the public. The food was excellent and reasonable priced ( most entrees in the $15-20 range, although some nightly specials were closer to $10). They also offer a children's menu. The pool was very clean and there were plenty of lounge chairs around it and more outside in a fenced in area. Although we didn't have time to use it, they do have a game room and a wooden playground as well. On the minus side, the air conditioner could almost be classified as antique (it looked to be very old and did not work well). The mattress definitely needed replacing, just as another reader had mentioned. It was very uncomfortable. Lastly, we were placed in a room that is right outside of the entrance to the restaurant/pool/game area. Since the A/C wasn't working well, we had the windows open and could hear a lot of people coming and going to dinner/breakfast, which is definitely not fun when travelling with a 16 month old. Overall, worth the money and location but definitely could use some upgrades that would make it a fantastic value for the money.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank nhtom
Reviewed September 20, 2006

I am a native New Englander now living in Atlanta and I planned a trip back so I could take in some White Mtn hiking for a couple of days. I decided to just drive to Lincoln and Franconia Notch without any idea of where to stay. I pulled in late and found my first hotel to be booked. I then drove down the street and found this gem. I had a warm welcome from the front desk, including the friendly dog snoozing in the corner. I got a room at such a bargain I was nervous what I was going to get. The room was quaint, clean and comfortable. I had my own mini-fridge, a front porch and a steam shower. In the morning I stopped at Brittany's Cafe for a quick cup of joe and a breakfast sandwich (I highly recommend Mike's Muffin Sandwich). The staff was so friendly....small town charm. I left and hit Franconia Notch for an early morning start.
I will be back for future trips to hike the best trails in New England with this spot as my launching spot. If you get there earlier than I did you can even relax at the bar or pool on site before a hike in the morning. Overall a wonderful experience. It blows away all those "chain" hotels with their generic service and cookie cutter rooms. This was part of my whole New England experience....Thank you and keep up the good work.
Mike Driscoll Atlanta, GA

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank CorneliusCobb
Reviewed August 29, 2006

I am a dedicated trip advisor reader and I travelled to Lincoln, for a 3 night stay in August with my family (husband,7yr old daughter,4 yr. old son). I logged on to trip advisor and cycled through the choices and I contacted the "Kanc"..I was amazed that when the I called... the person who took my reservation was actually the owner. You could tell that he had a genuine interest in my familys' vacation and I wasn't treated like just another reservation like I was when I called the local"Franchise hotel".

I chose to stay at the Kanc because they had a full size indoor pool....unlike the local "franchise hotel" who said the pool is "big enough to enjoy" when in actuality it is barely big enough to hold my entire family.(we stopped in before we checked into the kanc to see what he meant) The indoor pool at the Kanc was beautiful it had a nice courtyard attached that we could sit out in the sun and watch the kids swim, There was also a small game room that my daughter enjoyed when she finished swimming.

Our room was a balcony level room overlooking the "Kancamagus Highay and Loons South Mtn. it had two double beds and a cute balcony that we escaped to when the kids fell asleep. A nice surprise was the in-room steam bath that was very relaxing after an exhaustive day touring the White mtns. The beds were very comfortable and the room was very clean..we even met our housekeeper who introduced herself and asked us if we were satisfied with our room.

When we travel we usually do not eat at the hotels restaurant because we assume we can find better choices elsewhere locally....When we pulled into Lincoln we stopped at the local country store and my husband asked the lady at the counter what the best restaurant in town was for families and she quickly replied "No question at all..Brittany's Cafe at the Kancamagus Motor Lodge. We were very pleased and looked forward to trying out Brittany's which was open for breakfast & dinner.

When we went to breakfast the first morning we were greeted by the hostess who was the wife of the gentleman who checked us in(the owner).....it was great to see both owners husband & wife working together at the property and they seem to never sleep...The wife was again our hostess at Dinner and the husband was in the office all day & night to answer all our questions and recommend local attractions and I swear I saw him cutting the lawn!!! The food was as stated on tripadvisor(& by the locals)...incredible!! breakfast portions were huge..and dinner had so many choices I could not believe!! We did not have a chance to go and eat in the sports bar & pub downstairs(CJ's Penalty Box) but we ate at Brittanys' all three nights and the food was delicious!!

I would like to thank trip advisor for steering me to the Kancamagus Motor Lodge..it was"one stop" shopping for my whole family. The price was reasonable for all that they offer!! rooms with a view,indoor pool,terrific restaurant and owners who actually work on the property.....(Oh yeah at breakfast one morning we actually met the namesake of the restaurant "Brittany"..the 12 yr old daughter of the owners who was bussing the table behind us!!)... This place is a fun family motel in the heart of the beautiful White mtns!! We will be back for their X-mas tree pkgs. this winter!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank MadisonPaige
Reviewed August 24, 2006

Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank JHROrange
Hosts, Owner at The Kancamagus Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2006

Reviewed August 20, 2006