“Excellent Economical Inn”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
Abingdon, MD
“Excellent Economical Inn”
Reviewed August 12, 2008

For several years I always drove by this establishment while staying at another inn in the Lincoln area; always feeling that I needed to check this place out!

Finally, I checked it out. To be sure it does not have all of the current, modern amenities that the large chain motels have; but it has all that you need if you are looking for a nice, quiet, economical inn to spend some time in the mountains. The owners (Leo & Nicole Marien) live on site and are always available to assist you with any needs you might have during your stay.

The original building appears to have been constructed when motor inns were just beginning to be popular. While the rooms are small they do offer something that is usually not available in most motels built today – windows on both sides of the room! On many nights you can open both windows to enjoy the fresh mountain night breezes! There is very little traffic at night on the Kancamagus Highway so you do not have to worry about traffic noise with the open windows.

The owners have built a second building that has the more traditional “cookie cutter” rooms that you find in the various chain establishments. You can request these rooms for an additional charge. I prefer the ground floor rooms in the original building.

You can add a meal package to your stay that includes Breakfast and Dinner at Brittany's Café or CJ's Penalty Box. The meal package also allows you to go to Dad's Restaurant at The Beacon Resort for your meals.

The meals at Brittany’s Café are outstanding; with excellent quality for the price! During good weather you have the option of eating out on the deck; which is a very enjoyable experience and a chance to just sit back and take in the mountain atmosphere! The café is operated by the owners, with Nicole on duty in the Dinning Room during most meals.

When in New Hampshire, I usually try to organize my trip to allow me to stay at this inn if I am going to be in the area.

• Liked — The price and the quality of the food in the cafe.
  • Disliked — Parking is limited early in the evening when the cafe is open.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
ontario
Reviewed July 5, 2007

we recently stayed at this establishment it was amazing I have never had such amazing service from all staff !!!!!!!!!!
both the owners and staff went well above to make our stay with them one we have still not stopped talking about
we would not hesitate to recommend both this hotel and there resturant to anyone and if our travels put us in new hampshire again we would not hesitate to stay with them again and again

• Liked — service service service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007
NY
Reviewed June 17, 2007

This is one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. First I thought the rooms would be spacious from the webiste. Instead the room was very tiny.

Second I was on a bottom floor and the noise was terrible. You can hear a pin drop.

Third the cost for this was way to much and it didn't include a breakfast.

I'm sure there are better choices in the area.

• Stayed September 2003
2 Thank travelus73
Massachusetts
Reviewed December 13, 2006

Wife, kids and I stayed at the Kancamagus ML for a weekend in December '06 to celebrate my wife's brithday and get a tree farm x-mas tree. For about $300 we got a package that included dinner, two breakfasts, two night stay and a trip to a nearby x-mas tree farm(tree, wreath & horse-drawn sleigh ride incl'd).

The room was very neat and clean, but your basic road-side motel accomodation. Nothing fancy. Front desk was friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to buy a nice bottle of wine and place it in our rooom at the request of my sister-in-law. The on-site restaurant(Brittany's) was above average with excellent food, friendly service and large portions. The pool was also one of the best I've seen in a road-side motel. It looked newly renovated, was not too warm or cold with almost no chlorine smell, yet crystal clear. The motel was almost empty and we had the pool to ourselves everytime we were in it.

Great location, as well. Right next to another great restaurant--The Common Man(a misnomer for sure!) and very close to the highway, shopping, gas stations, convenience stores, sightseeing spots and skiing.

An overall experience of slightly above-average given the price, location, the slow time of year, food, etc.

• Liked — Price, pool, restaurant.
  • Disliked — Might be a bit noisy in prime season(close to road).
  • Tips/Secrets — If you're looking for good deal w/ quiet..late November(after leaf-peeping) or early December(before ski season).
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank LobstaMan
Pacific NW
Reviewed October 15, 2006

While neat and clean, this roadside motel has many problems in trying to compete with other accommodations in the area. It lacks many of the common amenities that travelers expect to find these days. If you have a choice, look for other, more uptodate properties.

Stayed October 2006
2 Thank Cedarina
new hampshire
Reviewed October 10, 2006

The location of the hotel is excellent for couples, families or individuals looking to explore the Kancamagus highway area. Clark's trading post is nearby and Storyland was not that far of a ride. The rooms were clean and plenty of towels/bath supplies were provided by the housekeeping staff, who came through each morning. The price was reasonable as well ($192 for 2 nights-over Columbus weekend, a high peak time for this area). The restaurant is excellentt-we ate both dinner there and breakfast. Expect a wait at dinner on busy nights as they are open to the public. The food was excellent and reasonable priced ( most entrees in the $15-20 range, although some nightly specials were closer to $10). They also offer a children's menu. The pool was very clean and there were plenty of lounge chairs around it and more outside in a fenced in area. Although we didn't have time to use it, they do have a game room and a wooden playground as well. On the minus side, the air conditioner could almost be classified as antique (it looked to be very old and did not work well). The mattress definitely needed replacing, just as another reader had mentioned. It was very uncomfortable. Lastly, we were placed in a room that is right outside of the entrance to the restaurant/pool/game area. Since the A/C wasn't working well, we had the windows open and could hear a lot of people coming and going to dinner/breakfast, which is definitely not fun when travelling with a 16 month old. Overall, worth the money and location but definitely could use some upgrades that would make it a fantastic value for the money.

• Liked — Location, price, excellent on-site restaurant
  • Disliked — Room amenities (A/C, mattresses) are outdated and need replacement
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room away from the restaurant/pool entrance
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank nhtom
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 20, 2006

I am a native New Englander now living in Atlanta and I planned a trip back so I could take in some White Mtn hiking for a couple of days. I decided to just drive to Lincoln and Franconia Notch without any idea of where to stay. I pulled in late and found my first hotel to be booked. I then drove down the street and found this gem. I had a warm welcome from the front desk, including the friendly dog snoozing in the corner. I got a room at such a bargain I was nervous what I was going to get. The room was quaint, clean and comfortable. I had my own mini-fridge, a front porch and a steam shower. In the morning I stopped at Brittany's Cafe for a quick cup of joe and a breakfast sandwich (I highly recommend Mike's Muffin Sandwich). The staff was so friendly....small town charm. I left and hit Franconia Notch for an early morning start.
I will be back for future trips to hike the best trails in New England with this spot as my launching spot. If you get there earlier than I did you can even relax at the bar or pool on site before a hike in the morning. Overall a wonderful experience. It blows away all those "chain" hotels with their generic service and cookie cutter rooms. This was part of my whole New England experience....Thank you and keep up the good work.
Mike Driscoll Atlanta, GA

• Liked — Great combination of price, comfort and service close to the best hiking in New England
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo