“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We ate at the Salt Hill Pub last night before a local event up the street. We arrived at approximately 5:15 with plenty of time to spare (hah!) before the 7:00 show. It didn't look terribly busy for a big night with plenty of tables open in the main room and outside. We were escorted into a side room which looked like an after thought. There were even big boxes stacked in one corner.
The menu looks pretty impressive on paper, which is the main reason I suggested this place. After ordering beers, which took forever to arrive (15 mins) we decided to order food so we would have plenty of time to enjoy the meal.
We waited another long time for the food, which consisted of burgers, a salad and the baked acorn squash special. In fact the food arrived exactly 1 hour from the time we arrived. And we had only ordered ONE beer each, as the waiter was obviously working in another area out of out sight.
To make matters worse, a couple who had been seated in our area 15 minutes after us, we're served food before us!! AND the table of 6 directly behind us got up and walked out without eating after sitting there who knows how long.
Food wise, the guys said their burgers were good, my friend said her salad was good, but my acorn squash dish was so dry I had to use my salad dressing on the whole thing. The squash was so overlooked it was black!
We finally got out of there with about five minutes to spare before the show. Not acceptable!
I had been so looking forward to eating here based on other reviews and a friend's personal recommendation. I guess we just had a bad experience. They just seemed to be off their game last night on the floor and in the kitchen. Disappointed.

1  Thank chilipepper54

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Had the honor to host a baby shower in the Galway Room. Staff, food and service were top notch. The Staff was extremely efficient without being intrusive. The menu options were extensive and reasonably priced. Would recommend for any private function. Thank you to all who made the day.

1  Thank Theresa R
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Salt Hill Pub is incredibly accessible, located right on one end of the Green in Lebanon, NH. I've always enjoyed the food at Salt Hill - my favorite appetizer is their Pulled Pork Nachos, a HUGE platter of tri-color (and flavor) nachos topped with sweet and savory pulled pork. (They usually add chopped jalapeno, but my weakling taste-buds and I tend to ask them to leave it off.) My niece and nephew love the regular nachos, an equally generous helping topped with savory melted cheese.

For dinner, I love Steve's Pot Roast, a generous helping of oh-so-tender beef that's been cooked to such tender perfection that it practically falls apart on your fork. And the gravy...words cannot begin to describe how much I love their gravy. Burgers and sandwiches are always available, always delicious, and portions are more than enough to fill your stomach! Another dinner favorite of mine is their Fish 'n' Chips. Served with fries layered over the surface of your plate, and the breaded and fried fish plastered over the top, it's equal parts crispy, moist, flaky, and my favorite part is smothering the fries in malt vinegar (available at each table right next to the ketchup) and taking a bite of the fish with a piece of fry. Yummy!

Desserts are just as decadent as the rest of the menu. There's almost always a fresh new flavor of bread pudding available, and I long for the return of their Bread Pudding with Bailey's. Other family members have expressed their love of the Brownie Sundae, which I will admit is quite splendid, but nothing compares to my favorite bread pudding!

The food is a big draw for me and my family, but the atmosphere itself is fun as well. Comfortable, unpretentious, and welcoming, the waitstaff and personnel are friendly and helpful. I've never experienced bad service here, just slow service on busy nights! My favorite times to visit are Tuesdays, when there is live Irish music played by a small group of musicians near the bar, and Sunday's Trivia Night, where you can play alone or as part of a team to win prizes ranging from T-shirts to gift certificates.

Overall, a great place for lunch or dinner (and I see they're now offering Sunday brunch, but haven't had a chance to try it yet) and perfect for both family outings (depending on the time of day, of course!) or adults-only adventures. Highly recommended!!!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Great atmosphere, location and food. It is always fun to go here. Try trivia night or pint night. They are accomodating to changing table sizes and having friends drop in at different stages of a meal.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

The atmosphere at Salt Hill is excellent. It's a fun place where you'll almost always get a table and have a lively time. Fish and Chips is the best this side of the Merrimack River. Wide selection of beers and ales. Friendly staff and a varied menu. Though I wish there was more emphasis on vegetables than fries on many dishes. Irish stew is great, bangers not so much. ANd if you can ever be there for St. Patrick's Day, do it!