“Run!”
Review of Sunset Motor Inn

Sunset Motor Inn
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Lebanon
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Booked one night via what we saw on the website. Arrived early afternoon. Should have left when we drove up to our room; one room number missing from the door - written with a sharpie (Room 24). Bathroom floor was filthy. Bathroom door wouldn't close. King sized bed was new- we heard - but hard as a rock. Windows were filthy. A/C was held in window by clear packing tape all around the sides and tops. None of the furniture matched and was stained with various spins. White, cheap, thin bathroom towels had yellow stains on them. We didn't even unpack nor did we use the shower. Everything in this room was dated and we used an alcohol wipe before we even picked up the phone to call the front desk. Pictures on the website are totally misleading. They also offered a "continental breakfast" - we never even considered that option! Triple AAA sign is misleading and we have filed a complaint with them. Talked to the owner that night and another family in the morning. Both were indignant - not to mention how difficult it was to understand them. Keep driving. I called to ask for a partial refund (since we did stay the night) and the owner yelled into the phone "no, no, no refunds." I have put a hold on the charge on my credit card - not sure what they can do for us. Suggestion: if you are staying at a non-chain motel, ask to view the room first before you give them your cc. (When I made the reservation, they did not ask for a cc to hold the room, couldn't email me a confirmation and were generally rude...we had called numerous hotels for that night but since it was a last minute decision, we couldn't find anything.) As for the rivew view - that is correct; however, picnic table was covered with weeds; chairs were overturned and rusted...so awful!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Barbara P

Reviewed August 16, 2011

Yes, the former owner has moved on, and taken his impressive library with him. He'll be missed. Yes, new manager Mr. Patel has a strong Indian accent, can be a challenge to understand, and is not brimming with American hospitality. But he's a nice fellow if you persevere.

The motel itself is as good as before, though, and maybe better. Free wi-fi, better breakfast, new carpets, and slightly lower prices! We stayed in one of the larger rooms with a wonderful view of the peaceful Connecticut River and the hills of Vermont. There were also river-view guest chairs beckoning outside each unit. The establishment is set back quite a ways from Route 120 (between Hanover and W. Lebanon), so it is very quiet. We came for 2 nights and stayed 4.

This remains an oasis, for well under $100 a night with tax. Don't tell anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Mayurpatel, Manager at Sunset Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback. I am glad that you have recognized us as an oasis, we are trying hard to make the inn as modern as possible, with the latest hotel amenities, and features. Please consider us again when you are in the area.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

So sad, this is not the place it used to be. Look around for other places. Its more than $100+ a night and new management has really changed the place. Burned out lightbulbs, no more ice machines, and difficult hard to understand front desk staff. The AAA sign out front doesn't deserve to be there.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Peyton12

I am very sorry to learn that you did not have a pleasant stay at our inn. We indeed have made several positive changes to the inn. We have introduced free WI-FI, and expanded the breakfast program. We also have upgraded the bedding, along with the carpets in the rooms. We do recognize the need for an ice machine, and have made the request to the owners. We shall meet and go above and beyond your expectations. We invite you to come back and experience the changes at our inn. Thank you.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

I put my daughter up for 2 nights at this hotel when she visited me, having recently suffered a stroke. I paid for 2 nights up front, however, my daughter had to leave unexpectedly at 4pm in the afternoon (she stayed for one night) for a family emergency. Mr. Patel, the new manager, was completely inflexible and would not credit my credit card for the 2nd night (not used!) due to his policy of CHECK OUT at 11am in the morning. While I respect the policy, I cannot believe that he was 100% uncooperative and was not aware there is a time clock for family emergencies!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Missymcl

We are sorry for your Inconvenience. We will pray for your better health. The reason the we are less flexible with the cancellation policy is because we have given up the ability to rent that room to other guest while we held your reservations. We understand that in life many times our plans change, but if the change of plans have a financial cost then it must be dealt with. We will be glad to offer a 50% off discount voucher to your family for your next stay with us.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

We had previously stayed at the Sunset and return as we found the ownership and the location most comfortable. While it is an older motel very thing worked well and the morning coffee bar was certainly adaquate. We would return to enjoy the river view.
Robert

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roberteb
Reviewed February 15, 2010

This is the second This is the second hotel I’ve stayed at in this area. We are visiting a family member in the hospital and really needed affordable lodging.
This doesn’t appear to be possible in the area. It stillmind boggoling to me that these .5star tp 1 star at best hotels are able to charge such rates.
It was still over $60 plus tax but my sister was paying over a $100 to stay a few miles away at a really gross place that was just filthy. They do have a buffet breakfast and pool but not worth anywhere near the extra $40 plus she is paying.

The pros for the sunset…

**It’s a decent location being close to shopping, the hospital, 24 hr cvs etc.
***It’s not so close to the stores though that it’s loud “so it was very quiet at night
***It was VERY clean, older yes, clean yes. I was pleasantly surprised by this since it does look so old.
***The husband/wife (I guessed) were nice, check in was quick and easy….
***Probably the cheapest hotel in this area

The cons…

***The cost
***The fridge didn’t work which was upsetting since we had placed food in them and it went bad.
When I let the owner know he went on and on about how the wiring was funny and we probably shut the light switch and there was no way to warn people. really? How about a little note? Tell them at check in? Then he asked if I had turned it on? Ummm, no I double checked it was plugged in, but it’s a mini fridge not a TV, I never realized mini fridges had an on/off button. So he proceeded to basically blame me.
Ok whatever….
***The breakfast was “acceptable” at best but they couldn’t get any cheaper.
Cereal, old English muffins, the coffee cups were mini cups…Basically done as cheaply as they could get away with and try and call it a breakfast.

If you a cheap hotel in the area this is acceptable, not great but will do if you’re just resting your head…

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2009

I stayed at the Sunset for a program I was attending in Hanover, 5 miles up the road. It was recommended to me by the event organizer when I asked for just simple lodging for the night, and as inexpensive as possible.
The room was small but very clean and well-maintained, there was a view of the Connecticut river out the back window, it was far enough from the road to be relatively quiet, and the host was agreeable and helpful. Even though it was graduation weekend at Dartmouth, the room rent was less than the "economy" chain places anywhere within 20 miles. I liked it.
I can't speak for the continental breakfast - I had to leave early the next morning, so I didn't eat there.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank becil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lebanon
Fireside Inn & Suites
Element Hanover-Lebanon
White River Inn and Suites
White River Inn and Suites
#6 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Sunset Motor Inn? Share your experiences!