“Not even close to what it used to be.”

Tamarack Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 86 Restaurants in Laconia
Reviewed July 21, 2014

For decades Tamarack was the go to for to go summer drive in treats. Their reputation was built on their "lobstah" rolls. True to form the lobster rolls were generously over filled with large pieces of lobster meat in a mayonnaise dressing. The haddock sandwich was a good sized piece of fish on a fresh roll with plenty of tartar sauce on the side. We paid extra for the onion rings to accompany our meals. They should have been served piping hot, but were not. However they were warming than the cold footlong hotdog and had to be returned to be cooked. We got there at the front end of the noon lunch and they were out of unsweetened ice tea. - seriously, they had run out. Keep in mind, this is NOT the beginning of the season when an oversight like this might be expected. And this is not their first rodeo, so these amateur mistakes have me shaking my head. The counter girl that took our order was pleasant and gracious, but I'm thinking with mistakes like this, it won't be long before the go to place for to go is only a couple of miles down the street. Barely average.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We have been going to the Tamarack for many years and always look forward to the lobster rolls! Well, we were sooo disappointed not only in the food but the place appears as if it has never been Cleaned! The picnic tables were rotten and filthy , the trash was over flowing and it was only 4! The indoor eating area had such a strong offensive odor we sat outside!
The servers were miserable and over charged us. We brought it it her attention and she couldn't care less! Sadly, I'll never step foot in that terrible place. It requires a major overhaul and the prices are getting ridiculous
The lobster rolls were average and my husbands fish sandwich was tasteless! One more thing, stop having your workers smoke out in the open. Looks foolish!

4  Thank Fesjbb
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My very good rating applies to the SEAFOOD only. Everything else was, as Mary W said, barely average. We stayed in Meredith last week and drove back and forth by Tamarack a number of times. I look forward to an order of "roadside" clam strips every summer and knew that Tamarack would deliver. We waited along time for our food to be prepared. I had ample opportunity to read every sign and notice posted on the building. I had the impression that it was a good seafood "joint" that has been around for a while. The clam strips, lobster roll and lobster salad were great. The rest of the food, cheeseburgers and a friend chicken basket, were mediocre at best Tasted wonderful, fair price and ample serving. I always read the reviews of other travelers before I post. I disagree with the food ratings and any reference to it being overpriced. That being said, as I waited FOREVER for the food to be served my husband sought out a place to sit. I am usually the picky one when it comes to cleanliness of the two of us. He refused to sit in the inside area. He said it smelled like a dirty bathroom. The outside picnic tables were run down but we dealt with it. Usually establishments like Tamarack are over staffed with high school or college students in a vacation destination area like Meredith. This was not the case. There were two people serving. One was an older woman who kept making her apologies albeit more in a "what do you expect?" manner than a regretful one. They were out of ketchup on the outside counter so she handed the new one out the window. They also ran out of napkins. I offered to restock for her as I was waiting for the food. When I put them in the bin marked "napkins" I noticed that there was trash on the bottom of it. I know that the Phantom Gourmet has visited the Tamarack. I think it is time for Robert Irvine to come by. This restaurant is at a fork in the road. It could go down a path of a great food place that got run to the ground or could accentuate the positive and clean up the mess and be great.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stopped at the Tamarack Restaurant on our way through Laconia as a group of 7.

My husband and I each ordered a two combo dinner. I got the whole belly clams and sea scallops. He got the shrimp and whole belly clams. We upgraded with onion rings. I found the portion to be pretty small for the price. We had to go back because they forgot to include our coleslaws, and gave my husband French fries instead of onion rings. They gave us the slaw, and actually brought my husband a full order of onion rings. One of our friends said his meal was cold. My husband and I thought our meals were pretty average; certainly not even close to the quality of other seafood dinners we've had at other restaurants.

Most of the outdoor picnic tables were in horrible shape - very old and falling apart. They definitely need to be replaced.

We won't make a return visit.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

I thought I was glad the Tamarack was open yesterday. I had a great lobster roll and my husband had a great shrimp roll, both very fresh with generous portions BUT... the place is FILTHY and very run down. The owners have all winter to clean things like their trash cans (which I don't think have ever been cleaned) , their bathrooms are worse than most bathrooms in service station garages and their picnick tables as well as the entire exterior are in desparate need of fresh paint. I can only imagine what the kitchen looks like if the parts the customers can see are as filthy as they are. I'll take mine to go if I ever go there again. I gave this restaurant a TERRIBLE rating only because of the filth.

Been to Tamarack Restaurant? Share your experiences!