“Awesome seafood but Take it Out.”

Tamarack Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 86 Restaurants in Laconia
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
“Awesome seafood but Take it Out.”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My very good rating applies to the SEAFOOD only. Everything else was, as Mary W said, barely average. We stayed in Meredith last week and drove back and forth by Tamarack a number of times. I look forward to an order of "roadside" clam strips every summer and knew that Tamarack would deliver. We waited along time for our food to be prepared. I had ample opportunity to read every sign and notice posted on the building. I had the impression that it was a good seafood "joint" that has been around for a while. The clam strips, lobster roll and lobster salad were great. The rest of the food, cheeseburgers and a friend chicken basket, were mediocre at best Tasted wonderful, fair price and ample serving. I always read the reviews of other travelers before I post. I disagree with the food ratings and any reference to it being overpriced. That being said, as I waited FOREVER for the food to be served my husband sought out a place to sit. I am usually the picky one when it comes to cleanliness of the two of us. He refused to sit in the inside area. He said it smelled like a dirty bathroom. The outside picnic tables were run down but we dealt with it. Usually establishments like Tamarack are over staffed with high school or college students in a vacation destination area like Meredith. This was not the case. There were two people serving. One was an older woman who kept making her apologies albeit more in a "what do you expect?" manner than a regretful one. They were out of ketchup on the outside counter so she handed the new one out the window. They also ran out of napkins. I offered to restock for her as I was waiting for the food. When I put them in the bin marked "napkins" I noticed that there was trash on the bottom of it. I know that the Phantom Gourmet has visited the Tamarack. I think it is time for Robert Irvine to come by. This restaurant is at a fork in the road. It could go down a path of a great food place that got run to the ground or could accentuate the positive and clean up the mess and be great.

• Visited July 2014

Gorham, New Hampshire
“Barely Average”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stopped at the Tamarack Restaurant on our way through Laconia as a group of 7.

My husband and I each ordered a two combo dinner. I got the whole belly clams and sea scallops. He got the shrimp and whole belly clams. We upgraded with onion rings. I found the portion to be pretty small for the price. We had to go back because they forgot to include our coleslaws, and gave my husband French fries instead of onion rings. They gave us the slaw, and actually brought my husband a full order of onion rings. One of our friends said his meal was cold. My husband and I thought our meals were pretty average; certainly not even close to the quality of other seafood dinners we've had at other restaurants.

Most of the outdoor picnic tables were in horrible shape - very old and falling apart. They definitely need to be replaced.

We won't make a return visit.

• Visited May 2014
Woodstock, New Hampshire
“Filthy”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I thought I was glad the Tamarack was open yesterday. I had a great lobster roll and my husband had a great shrimp roll, both very fresh with generous portions BUT... the place is FILTHY and very run down. The owners have all winter to clean things like their trash cans (which I don't think have ever been cleaned) , their bathrooms are worse than most bathrooms in service station garages and their picnick tables as well as the entire exterior are in desparate need of fresh paint. I can only imagine what the kitchen looks like if the parts the customers can see are as filthy as they are. I'll take mine to go if I ever go there again. I gave this restaurant a TERRIBLE rating only because of the filth.

• Visited April 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not what I remembered!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We would always stop for a lobster roll....again many moons ago because it was the Best around and worth the 2 hour ride up! NOT ANYMORE! Horrible. Dirty, and run down. The lobster rolls were now served in a small hotdog roll and not much in it for the money!
Scratch that fond memory off my lobster roll list!! Very disappointed and we took my son and daughter in law there bragging of how good it was with extra long rolls....the fries were horrible and when we left we were still hungry looking for desert!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Denise L
New Jersey
“What happened???”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have not been to Tamarack in about 15 years and have fond memories of pretty good seafood.

Quite a bit has changed:
1. $15.00 for a mediocre lobster roll on a hot dog bun -- not a very generous portion and for $1.00 more you get a side of fries and paid for a "tiny" side of inedible cole slaw. (Was just at Jersey shore and paid $12 for an overly generous lobster roll that included two (fancy) sides of your choice.)
2. Picnic tables were all dirty, chipped paint, peeling.
3. Counter-staff persons were not helpful, knowledgable or friendly.
4. Inside seating area and bathroom(s) was dated, smelly, dirty and just gross.

Very sad and disappointing experience.

• Visited August 2013