All reviews recreation room small beach area room was clean last minute booking across the street pool table air hockey short stay weirs beach board games ice machine mini fridge free coffee friendly owners bike week view of the lake place to stay
Reviewed August 27, 2018

I had booked a room for a Saturday night at another hotel which had no openings when I wanted to add on a Friday night. I called the Birch Knoll and Janet went out of her way to help me out. I had called many other places in the area, and all had no vacancy. Janet was very accommodating, was able to book her last room for us, and it was the perfect room and location. Set in the back building on the end, the room was similar to other motel room, except it was immaculate and very comfortable. It was such a pleasure to deal with Janet on the phone and meet her in person. Coffee in the morning was definitely needed. Access across the road to the docks with chairs available and a small beach area was the perfect way to start the day with my cup of coffee. Janet was very helpful in allowing me to stay in the premises a little longer in between checking in at my 2nd hotel. My only negative was that I wished I could stay longer. Would definitely book and stay here again and recommend to friends. Great group of guests to chat with also.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2018

Very nice little motel and owners were great. Stayed in the back side building upstairs, nice view of the lake across the street. Comfy King bed, little table with 2 chairs to eat and use laptop. Extra usb and outlets, fridge, but NO microwave, they do have one in the Recreation room to use. Had a great stay, it was quiet and comfortable, and loved exploring the areas around the lake. I do wish they had a little shelf in the bathroom /or 2 hooks to hang clothes and towels.

Stayed: July 2018
Reviewed July 25, 2018

This is a great location at Paugus Bay on Winnipesaukee. The owners, Janet & Michael, are so friendly and they continue to make improvements to this already comfortable inn. We have stayed the past two years and will continue to check their availability first when we are planning a trip to our favorite lake. We call directly to get the best rate.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2018

A very comfortable inn managed and staffed by very friendly and down-to-earth people. The owners are working very hard to re-vamp the Inn after purchasing it from the bank. The rooms are a little small but still comfortable enough for 4 people. Beds were comfortable and clean. The lobby and sitting room contain numerous local items and the shop was a good place to purchase t-shirts and pull overs with the Gunstock logo. The indoor pool IS an Olympic size pool. Be warned that the pool area is very humid. The restaurant is okay. Not many other restaurants in Gilford to choose from. The boardwalk is an over-sized tourist trap.

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Kennith H
Reviewed July 3, 2018

We were looking for a quick getaway on the lake with a view and a pool during the heat wave here in NH. I didn't have high hopes for a last minute booking but we took a chance on the Birch Knoll and I'm glad we did. Although it sits on a busy street, there is a great view of the lake, a dock right on the water, a lovely pristine clean pool, and a pretty deck in the quiet shaded wood area in the back. The owners have done a wonderful job turning an old-looking motel into an unassuming haven. The rooms are what you'd expect but immaculately clean and with nice attention to details such as fluffy white towels (not threadbare), starchy clean sheets, and a mini fridge. There is even a Weber grill for guests to use and chairs on the dock to enjoy the gorgeous sunset. It was exactly what we were hoping for without paying an arm and a leg. I would have given it a higher rating but for the noisy and dated air-conditioning unit (however the windows open!). The owners were friendly and very welcoming. We had a great, short stay and would definitely consider a return trip.

Stayed: July 2018