“Beautiful room, sublimely comfortable, very pleasant staff”

Lake Opechee Inn and Spa
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Usk, United Kingdom
“Beautiful room, sublimely comfortable, very pleasant staff”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

This was a great start to our New England road trip. We stayed in room 112, the Atlantic room and it was lovely, with a nice view of the lake, a balcony which was sufficiently well covered that we could sit out in the rain without getting wet (okay, a bit weird but we are English!) and a really comfy bed.

We had dinner one evening in their restaurant "O" and it was very pleasant - but do book, it was packed! Food was very good, and service was excellent.

A complimentary breakfast is available and it suited us very well: cereals, juices and an excellent variety of bread, bagels, and pastries.

Lakeport is probably not a place I'd ever return to, but we were so pleased to have stayed at the Lake Opechee Inn.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 9, 2009

the lake is beautiful, the spa was great, the rooms were large and very comfortable with fireplace, beautiful view. Our only complaint was that for that kind of money they should have provided more than a cold cereal help yourself buffet breakfast. We got the feeling that the spa was their big money maker and the hotel guests were almost an afterthought. The staff was always friendly but in a distant detached sort of way. Again, for those prices we would have expected more attentive service (for example, they told us a local attraction - boat ride- was a 10 minute drive away, but neglected to tell us that it would take at least half an hour to find parking, hence we missed the ride). But all in all a very pleasant place for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We were in the area for a concert at the Meadowbrook Pavilion and to golf, and the Opechee was a pleasant home base for both. Our second floor room (The Robin) was toward the center of the building, and had a great view of the quiet lake inlet on which the Inn sits. On July 4th, we were totally surprised and delighted by fireworks being set off by various neighbors on the lake and the surrounding region. Charming.

Although the Inn sits on a lovely lake, it's also alongside a former factory and is in a town that's not all that interesting. For the price, the location is disappointing.

That said, our room was huge, comfortably appointed, and very clean. It had a gas fireplace, a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi, a fridge and a balcony with a couple chairs and a table. The flat screen TV was easy to watch from a couple of comfy armchairs, but was just far enough away from the bed that we found ourselves squinting at any kind of writing on the screen (e.g. baseball scores). There was a reasonable selection of cable channels, all complimentary. We were surprised that they didn't provide comfy robes - that would have been a very nice touch, in keeping with the general tone of the Inn.

The continental breakfast was fine - various baked goods (fresh, but not homemade), fruit ,cereal and yogurt. The coffee was good - there were several selections that you could make by the cup with a Keurig coffeemaker.

The exercise room is limited.

There are plenty of good local dinner options. We ate at the Inn one evening, on the outside terrace. The service was cordial, the food was tasty and the portions were quite large. The mixed drinks were also ample although, oddly, not all that good. One night when we were pressed for time we enjoyed take out from Fratello's (good Italian), and from the looks of it we would have been happy to dine on site, as well. Another dinner was at CJ Avery's, an affordable local joint with decent pub food. Both are steps away from the Inn.

FYI, I looked at a room on the other side of the hall, which faced what seemed to be a wall of leaves outside the window. The ambiance was very different than our room - it was just as spacious, but was a shady and felt more secluded. Peaceful. You'd never know that on the other side of those leaves was the main road.

Finally, although there were lots of families, we never felt bothered by noise. Oh, and all the staff were professional, friendly, helpful and never seemed hassled.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I recently stayed at this inn while on business and absolutely loved it. The rooms are very large, comfortable and extremely clean. The check in process was fast and very friendly. The restaurant had excellent food and great service. The free continental breakfast is presented well and offers a large selection. The only thing that was a little frustrating was that they did not offer wireless in the room, only the lobby. They did have free high speed access in the room via ethernet cable, which they loan to you at no charge.

I liked this place so much that I plan to take my wife there for a romantic weekend. They also have a spa that is moderately priced for such a nice place. I did not get to use the spa as I was on business but I will definitely plan something for us when we go.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank BusTrvlr101
MA
Reviewed March 2, 2009

We just stayed at this hotel this past weekend and had a very pleasant stay. I seldom write reviews but was so pleased with this place I would feel badly if I didn't share my experience. When my husband and I first walked into the lobby it was absolutely beautiful and we were greeted by a nice young man who checked us in and asked if he could make us dinner reservations at the restaurant before directing us to our room. The room was very large with a bed that you just sink into. There must have been ten pillows. Our room was extremely clean and well cared for. The room also had a fireplace with comfy chairs and a nice view of the lake. We could have stayed in our room for the entire two days and never left. Our dinner at the restaurant was fantastic with very large portions. One plate could have been enough for the two of us. (The lobster mac & cheese is to die for) We did not get to use the spa as they did not have many appointments that would work into our schedule but I will plan for this for our next visit. The staff and service at this hotel is first class. Whenever we went through the lobby we were always acknowledged. The feel and atmosphere is very personal. I am highly recommending this hotel to all and again, can't say as I have ever had such pleasant and professional service at any hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank funsun1964
Boston, Ma
Reviewed January 9, 2009

I checked in alone on Christmas Day night and planned to stay for only two nights. After one night I extended it to three nights. If I could have afforded it, I would have stayed through the New Year!

From the moment I arrived I was treated very warmly and kindly by Sandy, who was working the desk on Christmas. Since the on-site restaurant was closed for the holiday, she gave me a list of Chinese restaurants that would deliver.

I am a frequent traveler, am picky and I grew up in the fine dining restaurant business, so I know and appreciate excellent customer service. I also don't mind paying a higher price if it is worth it...and this soooo was.

My room was like heaven. Walking in, there is a large, long counter-top under which houses a decent size fridge, perfect for the little goodies I brought with me. (My advice? Bring wine and snacks, you won't want to leave your room). The bathroom is very spacious and SPOTLESS. Blowdryer, shampoos, soaps and lotions. Nice big closet, also with iron/ironing board.

The bedroom/sitting area had a large king size, over-stuffed feather bed with, I think 6-8 pillows. Two comfy upolstered chairs and a large ottoman graced the front of the gas fireplace. I never even turned the heat on in the room the entire three days because the fireplace was all that was necessary. There is a large t.v. with many channels if you want to watch it, but what I liked was the many music channels that I could put on.

There was a large window seat along a huge row of windows...you really do feel like you're in a B&B. The amenities are really amazing. Very cozy, relaxing, charming and the attention to detail did not go unnoticed by me. VERY CLEAN.
The view from the windows was the back of the inn, lots of trees, but in the winter, not much to look at, but still quiet and pleasant.

There is a small hot tub and "soaking pool" as they call it, which was pretty deserted given the time of year, so it was great.
The breakfast that comes with the price is outstanding, as is the dining area. Plenty to eat, juices, any kind of coffee/tea/hot chocolate/hot cider...there is something for everyone. I came down in sweats and socks every morning, helped myself, grabbed a paper and sat in sweet solitude. That's how comfortable you feel there. Don't think I'd be walking down to breakfast in my jammies at a Marriott. :-)

Everyone that worked there that I encountered always smiled, was friendly, asked if I needed anything...it was truly wonderful.
The next day I booked at the spa (AWESOME,...I had three different services over two days and as a massage therapist, I can tell you this is one of the best spas I have ever been to...the staff is extremely well trained, caring and GREAT at their jobs)! Highly recc. the spa.

The restaurant on site was ok. Pricey. Lovely atomosphere, good service, but I had to send my steak back to be cooked more (ordered MW got Rare, really rare....came back still pretty rare)...but it was still very nice, though paying to eat there once was enough for me.

If you can't tell by now...I loved this special place. I'm def. planning on going back with some g-friends....it's a wonderful destinantion for relaxing and the owners and staff have done an excellent excellent job in making their inn one of the best i have ever stayed at.

• Liked — customer service, friendliness, privacy
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Triplover31
California
Reviewed October 24, 2008

Everything about the inn far exceeded our expectations. The room was spacious, beautifully decorated, fantastic view of the lake, very comfortable bed and a large, very modern bathroom. Staff was friendly and very helpful. The continental breakfast was very nice. The food at the "O" restaurant in the inn was incredible. The Bananas Foster was "to die for" and lobster and mac is a must try. Only disappointment was someone forgot to light the fire in the lobby fireplace. Since it was rainy and cold, it would have been nice to have it going. Although we were one block from a busy street and city, somehow the location and view from our room made us feel we were far out in the country.

• Liked — the entire facility and staff were amazing
  • Disliked — no fire in the lobby fireplace
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Tallfam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Naswa Resort
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#3 of 13 in Laconia
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to Lake Opechee Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!