“Nice overall but a few cautions”

and 1 more site!
Lake Opechee Inn and Spa
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
boston
“Nice overall but a few cautions”
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My husband and I recently returned from a relaxing stay at the Opechee Spa and Inn. As it is mud season, we stayed inside for the most part. The weather outside was cold and blustery and a heavy layer of dirty snow still coated everything. The room we stayed in was lovely - spacious, nice architectural details, gas fireplace, comfortable easy chairs, double whirlpool tub, feather bed. We also enjoyed a couple of services at the SPA - the spa is beautiful and the service there was wonderful. The onsite restaurant is also terrific and highly recommended. Overall, the weekend was just what the doctor ordered. I do, however, have a few minor complaints: The internet connection in our room did not work even after we tried a second internet cable. Fortunately, there is a computer in the lobby with a printer (we were considering visiting a maple sugar house and needed directions). The gourmet coffee bar that's advertised on the Inn's website is actually one of those canister coffee machines - thoughtful, but not exactly gourmet. The 'country continental' breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. It is reminiscent of what you would find at a budget motor inn. EVERY bit of food is wrapped in plastic film. I suppose that helps things to stay fresh but it doesn't look very appetizing. Coffee is obtained from the canister coffee machine. The pastries are the mass produced variety from a large megamart (think hostess cupcakes from Market Basket). Continental breakfast is fine but at $200+ night, I would have expected a nicer presentation and some fresh baked choices. Finally, the location was not what we expected. The lake view is nice but somewhat obscured by an industrial building and there is a large parking lot between the inn and the lake. Because of the snow, it is difficult to say if the landscaping was nice. There weren't many mature trees. The immediate area is not attractive - there are lots of neon signs, fast food restaurants, car dealerships, etc. everywhere - including along the lakes. If we had planned to spend time outdoors, I would have been disappointed in the surroundings.

• Liked — Room, spa, and restaurant
  • Disliked — Surrounding area, breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank boston_raisin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 31, 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Lake Opechee Inn and Spa. My husband took us up here the weekend of Valentine's Day, and we were pleased to find that this property was clean, well maintained, and comfortable. Although it was a bit less expensive than many of the surrounding hotels, we didn't think that it lacked ANYTHING... Awesome stay!

ROOMS: We stayed in Room 117, "The Bryar", and although it was the least expensive room category, we found it to be more than adequate and extremely comfortable. In fact, the BED is one of the nicest ever (you can purchase/order the linens, too!). If you've ever stayed at a renovated Sandals, it reminded me of one of those beds: soft, comfortable, lots of fluffy linens. There was a fireplace in our room (gas) and two chairs to lounge in front of it. Although we didn't have a spa tub, the bathroom was big and bright. There was also a fridge and a "vanity" area with a counter and a huge closet.

RESTAURANT: We didn't eat dinner in the hotel restaurant (sorry!) but the breakfasts were great! They even let me take a tray up to my husband on the last day, as I wanted to surprise him with "breakfast in bed"... nice!

LOCATION: The lake is beautiful, but it was tough to walk around it (too much snow EVERYWHERE). There are snowmobiling trails on the back-side of the hotel, which we found interesting. If you think the sound will bother you (it's not *THAT* loud), then make sure to reserve a room on the front side (balcony side) of the hotel. There isn't ANYTHING within walking distance except one small Italian restaurant, but there's lots of stuff within a 10-15 minute drive (TJ Maxx, Shaw's Grocery Store, D'Angelo's, Mexican Cantina, Pizza places, stuff like that).

AMENITIES: We didn't use the hotel pool but the HOT TUB was nice and NO ONE else was using the entire area while we were there... very nice and relaxing. They also have a pool table (free!), a library (with a huge flat screen TV) where you can borrow books or help out with the puzzle. Each of the rooms is decorated AMAZINGLY and it's really cozy. I felt like I was in a bed and breakfast at many times. Hot chocolate, tea, and coffee was available all day and FREE. :)

We'd consider going back in the summer, too. I bet it's lovely!

DRAWBACKS? The only negative I have, which I won't even dock the rating for, was the SPA... It was booked solid the whole time I was there, even after repeated attempts. I really think they should either hire more staff or leave some openings for hotel guests. I was bummed I didn't get to use the facilities, since the "spa massage" was part of my Christmas gift and I didn't get to take advantage. Still, I loved the place and would totally go again.

GOT PUPPIES? They have two dog friendly rooms, too, which are hardwood instead of carpeted. We didn't stay in one, but we saw a few puppies around the property along with the resident golden retriever. So cute!

Stayed February 2008
3 Thank SoxFan777
Conn
Reviewed March 20, 2008

We were supposed to stay at another hotel in the area but checked out immediately after checking in. We inquired at a convenient store for a nice place to stay and they told us about Opechee Inn. When we got there the staff was so friendly and gave us a tour of a few guest rooms to put our minds at ease. We stayed in a suite that was decorated with a cabin design. It had a king with two queens and a fireplace. It was perfect for our family. The inn has a small pool that the kids enjoyed and we borrowed board games from the lobby and really had some nice quality family fun. Everything was just perfect.

Dinner at there restaurant was really well done. The food was great and the service from the staff was incredible. This place really saved our short getaway and is just minutes away from skiing at Gunstock. We will be back and will recommend this place to anyone who is going to Laconia.

• Liked — Friendly staff, spacious room and great restaurant
  • Disliked — The pool was nice but definitely on the small side
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank CTonTheMove
Massachusetts
Reviewed February 18, 2008

We just returned from the Lake Opechee Inn & Spa for a well deserved weekend getaway. From the minute we entered the inn we were pleasantly surprised. It is not only beautiful, but extremely clean as well.
Our room (The Robin) was gorgeous! From the fabulous bed, to the fresh linens, corner fireplace, views from the windows and balcony, the two person whirlpool, everything was great!
Staff were friendly and offered assistance whenever possible. The restaurant is better than most upscale places in Boston and the staff there were fantastic.
We had a couples massage in the spa and both massage therapists were great.
If you enjoy skiing, Gunstock Mountain is literally 10 minutes away, with very easy directions to get to. We had a blast!
Ignore the reviews about the old mill building. Yes it is big and red, but if you are there for relaxation or fun why would you notice? I will agree that the pool is more like a "plunge pool" but it is very clean and pretty private for a little swim if that is what you are looking for.
Overall the inn is wonderful and we would recommend it to family, friends, coworkers alike. We will definitely return here in the future.

• Liked — Beautiful and clean
  • Disliked — Small pool
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank makemetravel
New Brittian, CT
Reviewed February 14, 2008

My husband and I booked a weekend getaway for our 15th anniversary. I found the spa treatments wonderful and relaxing. The staff was courteous and friendly.

Our room was beautiful, comfortable and well cared for. The food at the restaurant was pricey but excellent.

I would highly recommend visiting this inn to celebrate a special occasion.

• Liked — the spa staff was very friendly and our room was beautiful
  • Disliked — the inn is not the easiest place to find
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2008

I stayed here while on business and have to say this is one of the nicest places I have stayed at. I travel extensively throughout the US for my company and would have to say that this place is doing it right from the room to the friendly service.

The room was spacious, clean and nicely appointed. It had all the extras from a refrigerator to internet access. However, wireless was only available in the lobby which was the only draw back I could find. They offer a nice continental breakfast in the morning with a good selection to choose from. I had dinner at the restaurant both nights and absolutely loved it.

The chains could learn a thing or two from this hotel.

• Liked — Friendly Desk Staff - Excellent Restaurant
  • Disliked — No wireless in guest room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank JRD-TEXAS
sterling hgts, mi
Reviewed September 28, 2007

We booked one night on are way up to the White Mountains for a hiking trip. It was so nice and comfortable that we decided to spend the last night at the Lake Opechee instead of a large hotel in Boston. The size of the rooms(the beds!), the location and beautie of the Inn were outstanding. We loved the treatments in the spa especially the pedicures. Althrough it was hard to get all of the treatments together(book early with a group). I wish that the locker room had more supplies, I was to be charged $2.00 for a disposal razor! The outside patio is nice to sit out and have a drink in the evening. We did not eat at the Inn, Althrough we heard very good things about the food. Had drinks the first night. Upon return we sat at bar to get a drink, after close to ten minutes no one acknowledged us so we left. The Inn is close to Boston and an easy drive from Logan. The three of us all agree that we will be back. One last thing, they allow dogs!

Stayed September 2007
4 Thank anntz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
#3 of 13 in Laconia
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#6 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Lake Opechee Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!