“Holiday Stay”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Holiday Stay”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Have been coming here for 20 years. It seems that service has gone down since functions ( weddings etc) have been started. Coffee system did not work, sink was clogged, no cups for water and very late room cleaning.
Continental breakfast is great .
During 2 previous stays in the summer it seems that moored boats have increased. Signs state beach for guests only however, this is not enforced. People around me ( ten to twelve) were from anchored boats. I had trouble finding beach chairs because of this. Also, bathrooms are being used by the anchored boats for changing etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Judging by the screen name of the reviewer and the content of the review, we believe this to be a duplicate of the review titled "Service" posted 2 reviews prior to this one. Our response is also the same :

I would like to start by thanking you for taking time to review the property at The Margate Resort. We have been hosting events i.e. weddings here for 30 plus years, and 99% of the time it is a smooth recovery process afterwards. I apologize that you had to wait a bit longer for the cleaning of your room. In regards to the coffee maker being in need of repair/replacement, they are machines and sometimes do break down. All of our in-room coffee makers are Keurig brand K-Cup coffee makers, with green mountain K-Cup coffee. We do offer complimentary fresh coffee, as well as an abundant continental breakfast every morning in Blackstone’s dining room. Regarding our beach area, we have been working hard to develop a security protocol to ensure that the only guests on our beach are hotel overnight guests. If there are people who are patronizing our Gazebo Beach Bar, we consider them guests as well, however our beach is private only to hotel guests. We will be employing a new beach security protocol for the summer of 2014, and hopefully our guests will appreciate our efforts to keep our beach area and chaise lounges open and available only to our overnight hotel guests. Regarding room location, although we guarantee the room type reserved, by no means do we guarantee the exact location or number of an overnight guest room. As always, we do our very best to accommodate special requests like this, but it is not always possible to fill each and every request. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Kyle Parisi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Old Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My family stayed here late August and we really enjoyed the location. I travel for business and am used to staying hotels, but just wanted to share a few things I'm not accustomed to... 1) the hair dryer barely attached to the wall. 2) the "gym" so filthy that I started doing push-ups and got grossed out. 3) a pair of girls underwear behind the dresser. We only have boys and left with the underwear we came in. Needless to say we'll plan to get a cabin next time!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank workingmom_ct
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns about your stay. These three points you have made are very important, and have not been glossed over by me or my staff. Our housekeeping department employs inspectors who double check the thoroughness of our housekeepers and public area house-persons. It is the inspectors job to notice any deficiencies that were not taken care of by the housekeeper in a guest room, or by the house-person in our lobby, restaurant areas, and other public areas like our pool and fitness center. If your hair dryer was loose, it should have been addressed by the inspector to notify maintenance, but apparently it was not, and for that I apologize. Our inspectors are also trained to look under beds, behind the dresser, and in other inconspicuous areas, and it appears they did not do this for your room. The same goes for the fitness center. We went through a brief period of inconsistencies with our inspectors right around the time of this guest review. We have already made some major adjustments to our housekeeping staff, and are pleased to report that the day-to-day consistency of our housekeeping staff has greatly improved. As with any hotel stay, minor cleaning issues or equipment malfunctions can occur anytime, but it is our goal to assist any guest promptly who may report a problem to our front desk 24 hours a day. Thank you again for your valuable review.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I and kids wanted to go to New Hampshire Columbus Day weekend searched high and low for a hotel and couldn't find one. I came across The Margate Resort and they had some rooms available we were all excited. The price not bad 140.00 with tax for one night. I read reviews on the resort some were not great others were ok but that didn't faze me at all, at least we had a place to stay on such a busy weekend. The stay was for October 12th and check out the 13th.On the Friday night something unexpected happened, I got a blood clot in my leg which left me un able to walk and in a lot of pain. The next morning I called and told the resort that we had to cancel due to the emergency which happened the night before. Hoping that since I booked the room Friday at 2:30pm that would have at least given me a credit on my stay. Nope... I couldn't believe that..
They told me that they couldn't give me a refund which to me I already knew that and that if my room got booked that they would refund me back...That's bull... on their policy it says nothing about not giving a credit, it does say not refunding deposit if cancel 7 days or less. They kept my money and didn't even give me a credit for another stay at a later date. Unbelievable.. I guess they don't want my business. They also told me they couldn't refund me the money because of the high volume around the Columbus Day weekend and that they could of given my room to someone else. Well I just called at 6:30pm to see if anyone booked the room and the girl told me they have quite a few rooms still vacant and that they couldn't refund me until all the rooms had been rented out. Whatever....Thought they had a high volume this weekend. I always travel and stay at lots of resorts we are even timeshare owners I have never came across people who didn't care about their customers. They already have my money, I just wanted to go back another weekend. That's ok I know better now. I just hope people read this and think twice.

2 Thank C C
First I want to apologize for your unfortunate mishap, and I hope you are feeling better. We do have hotel policies in place and we adhere to them. Most hotel and airline cancellation policies are similar, and do not give refunds or credit for people who cancel within period of time prior to the check in date. Also, we cannot predict exactly how full the property will be on any given weekend. It sounds like our front desk manager went above and beyond, trying to make an exception for you, letting you know that we would refund your money if we were able to resell your room for you. It seems unfortunately that we were not able to resell the room with the limited time to do so before the arrival date. Thank you for your review, and I wish you well.

Nottingham, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 10, 2013

According to the amenties list of this resort, it had free WiFi in the rooms which was important to us as we had certain things we needed to finish off. When we called, we asked if they had a handicap room available which they did. That was also important as we were travelling with my 93 yr. old mother who had difficulty walking on her own ( needs a walker or WC). So far so good. As it turned out, the password they gave us to access Wifi did not work. We called the office twice and both times were told "nobody else seems to have a problem." REALLY???? If it didn't work for us, I don't know how it could work for anyone else. So no WiFi!!

Then, the shower area!l. Where to start.....Sometimes the shower nozzle would turn on, sometimes it wouldn't. You had to keep turning it on and off and to try to catch it at its good moment! At first glance, I noticed there wasn't any "lip" to the shower area to keep the water in but figured they must have angled the shower stall floor so that the water from the hand held nozzle would flow towards and down the drain area. Well, the hand held, if left on the hook, just shot straight down to the floor. That means you had to hold it. So if you held it in one hand you had to figure out how to hold both the soap ( as there was no place to place the soap) and the wash cloth in the other hand at the same time. You could put the soap on the floor but that didn't appeal to us! When the shower was complete, we almost slipped and fell on the bathrm floor as the water apparently just runs out of the shower onto the rest of the bathrm floor!

We talked to the front desk about this and they nonchalantly said...well, its designed so you can push a wheelchair right into the shower stall. REALLY???? What about exiting the shower stall with all the water all over the floor???? Aren't they concerned someone is going to slip and fall and possibly kill themselves when they hit there head on something hard in there???

None of us slept and woke up with sore backs due to the mattresses.

We were disgusted to be truthful. The front desk didn't take anything we said seriously, she just talked and went about her business at the same time. The only good thing about this "resort" is there breakfast. Not that there was a tremendous amt of things to pick from but it was decent. What was more impressive to us was the lady who was in charge there. She was constantly busy... making sure tables were clean...the display of various breakfast foods were full, and very helpful to anyone who needed assistance in any way. Kudos to her...I'd hire her in a heartbeat!

So...if you want WFi, find another place. If you need a handicap accessible room, don't bother going there unless you want EVERYONE in your party to end up handicapped by the time they leave.

Room Tip: Don't pick a handicap accessible room.
1 Thank maggiemae19
Allow me to apologize for your experience here at the Margate Resort. After going through your list of problems you acquired here at The Margate, there doesn’t seem to be a lot we could have done to make this a positive experience for you. Our disability equipped room is ADA compliant with bath facilities designed for individuals confined to a wheelchair. Every bed on property was updated with brand new Sealy Posturepedic mattresses, and triple sheeting bedding sets within the last two years. Our WiFi covers almost every area of our property, including the outside areas, and is checked daily to ensure its functionality. It is a secure network that required a password that we provide to all of our guests. Properly entering the password is critical to enable WiFi access, and it is a very easy password, however it is against hotel policy for our staff members to handle guests devices, as we cannot be held responsible for damaging their expensive equipment. I will thank you for complimenting one of our breakfast staff members; as with all of our staff they are all very diligent and hard working employees. It is also unfortunate to hear that the free breakfast was not adequate, but our breakfast options are actually one of our most highly praised items by our guests in past reviews. Again I am sorry The Margate was not a good fit for you. Thank you for your review and your input.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We arrived quite late, we are on our Honeymoon travelling around New England and the booking was only made the night before but the hotel was still informed we were on Honeymoon.

Our room was located across the road in a separate building with no security. The room decor and contents were of a poor tired standard with a random fridge placed in the room that we had to switch off because of the scary loud noise it kept permitting. Basically if we had paid £30-£40 then fair enough because this is all this hotel is worth. But we paid £70+ and trust me, keep driving to a Days Inn or similar.

A telephone call to the staff made no difference who said if we wanted to spend more money then we could have a better room (fair enough but not the money we had paid).

The rooms were dingy, sad, dark. You could hear everything from every neighbour and on our Honeymoon fell asleep listening to the man above snoring.

Breakfast was very good and staff at Breakfast lovely! But that's it...

The website is quite misleading in the pictures. There are no blinds in the rooms so it's dark or everyone in the carpark can see straight in.

A disappointing stay.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank JemmaRob
I would like to apologize that your stay was not the best it could have been. Our Inn Building has our lowest rates because it is the furthest from the beach and our main amenities building, however it is where our outdoor pool is located. Where your room was located was not directly linked by the fact that you were on your honeymoon. The Inn Building is utilized if the rest of the property is full, or if this is what your budget allows. It is the most economical choice at the Margate Resort. We are in the process of updating rooms on the property, however all refrigerators were just installed brand new this year. Perhaps it was a defective unit, as things do break down or malfunction occasionally. Again I do apologize, especially since this was your honeymoon. I hope you will reconsider staying with us the next time you are in the region, perhaps in one of our other room types located in the Lake Building. I appreciate your complimenting the breakfast and our staff, I will pass this on. Thank you.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is the best deal in the area and the location is great being right on the lake. There are restaurants, grocery stores and much more within walking distance. Having a indoor pool is great for rainy days. I love the Keurig coffee makers with the Green Mountain coffee which is a plus. The rooms are probably about 3 star but you can't beat the price for the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and posting a review. I am glad that you enjoyed what we provided for you. I am also happy that you were able to get out and see the area and everything it has to offer for vacationers. Hope to have you back again soon!

Worcester, Ma
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed here with a crew of family and friends for our wedding (not on this property). It was a great experience. I will say that the reservation process and being sure we knew how many rooms we had, who was staying where, getting names spelled right, etc was a little annoying and not perfect at times. But overall, we were thrilled with the clean big rooms, fresh linens and comfortable bedspreads and the beautiful water and waterfront bar.

Room Tip: The rooms on the water are definitely the best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nomester100
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking time to write a review for the Margate Resort. Feedback from our guests is greatly appreciated. I do apologize for the lengthy reservation process. Between the accuracy of documenting each guest's needs, ensuring the safety of our guests, and keeping up the efficiency of the check in process, this is a necessary evil, but usually makes it smoother in the long run. We had just done some redecorating in our guest rooms, I am happy to see this hasn’t gone unnoticed. Thank you for choosing The Margate, and hope to see you again soon!

Kyle Parisi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Naswa Resort
#1 of 5 in Weirs Beach
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#8 of 13 in Laconia

Been to The Margate Resort? Share your experiences!