“Wonderful family vacation”
Review of The Margate Resort

The Margate Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and 2 children had a great week at the Margate! The rooms were clean and close to the beach, breakfast was great, staff were friendly, my husband enjoyed fishing on the beautiful lake and my kids enjoyed playing by the water or swimming in the pool each day. I loved the tiki bar and bonfires at night. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed: August 2013
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

It is wonderful to hear that your entire family spent some great time with us this summer. The water is a main attraction for us, so I am glad that your children enjoyed the swimming and your husband the fishing. The beach bar has been great this summer, and our guests have loved the nightly bonfires, we will continue to have them next summer! Can’t wait to have you back!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at the Margate from 8/21-8/24 with my two children. We arrived a couples hours early before check-in and were pleased to find that our room was already ready for us. We were located with a lake view room on the ground level. Room was conveniently appointed with the necessary amenities including a fridge. There is a Shaws supermarket directly across the street for any needed items. Room for the most part was clean with the exception of the carpeting, it was vacuumed but stained from embedded dirt; I can only give the resort the benefit that it is the end of the summer and with the customer turn around it would be difficult to shampoo the carpets until the off season. Also noted that the bathroom ceiling leaked into the tub from the shower in the room above. Didn't let any of that ruin our time though!
I definitely give the girls working at the beach bar very high remarks, all were very pleasant from the first time we went there to have some lunch to the last day we were there and had a bite for lunch. Those girls work their butts off! Food at the beach bar is very, very good. A little expensive but you are paying for the convenience, you can also have your tab and tip billed to your room by showing them your room key.
The lake is wonderful, kids enjoyed swimming very much and playing in the sand on the beach. They also enjoyed chasing the ducks around. Indoor pool was wonderful as well, goes up to 10' deep.
Looking forward to another stay at The Margate next summer!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Very glad to hear that you and your children enjoyed your stay with us this summer. You made a very fine choice with one of the Lakeview rooms, which is a just a few steps away from the beach and all the fun amenities and activities that you described. I apologize for any staining that was on the carpet in your room. You are correct that the rooms do get used heavily over the course of the summer, and we do our best to keep up with the usage, but we are unable to perform deep cleans on rooms during this season due to the high occupancy. I very much appreciate your understanding of the issue. I would also like to say thanks again for your compliments about the beach bar and staff. They all truly work very hard over the course of the summer to keep all of guests and customers happy and wanting more, and I know they appreciate the comments as well. Once again, I am very glad to hear about your stay, and we can’t wait to have you back next year!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Great family vacation!!! Kids loved the lake, indoor pool and the brunch was good also!!! Room was clean and the location was perfect......would highly recommend the hotel for a family or just as a couple to get away!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for staying with us and posting such a great review. We very much appreciate the recommendation, and are very happy that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. Hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband I needed a few days to go away and relax. We stayed for 2 nights, mid-week in July and had a wonderful time. The beach, the outdoor tiki bar and the staff made us feel like we were on an island vacation spot. The room was clean, and did not have any musty smell. We will definitely come back. I recommended it to our daughter and husband. They have 2 young boys, and after watching the fun the other families were having, I know they will enjoy it, too. Like other reviewers stated, it's a family place. We live one street away from a beautiful ocean beach in Ma, and we LOVED this change of scenery and atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

I love to hear that you felt like you were on an island vacation spot while you were with us. It is also great to hear that the staff made you feel very welcome. I very much appreciate you recommending us to your daughter and her husband, it is indeed an excellent spot for families to relax, have fun, and enjoy the area. I also feel very happy to hear that you live near the ocean but still found the lakes to be a great time as well. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have you and your family with us here soon!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went for a weekend getaway and left early. The staff was helpful and polite. Our room was old, outdated, and smelled of smoke/must/mildew. I was afraid to have my children play on the carpet. There were burn holes in the chairs and the rug. The chairs were cloth and stained. The rugs were torn up and there was dust, crumbs, and garbage from previous guests when we arrived. The mattresses were stained, uncomfortable, and were not protected by mattress covers. Showers were covered in mildew and the bathroom sink was outside of the bathroom... The window of our room was hazed because the seal was broken. We had a view of the back of Shaws supermarket. The outdoor pool was filled with bugs, grass, and sand. The gate to the pool was falling apart and it could no longer be locked. There was duck poop all around the beach near the lake. We couldn't wait to get home!!! It was $230 per night and we felt it was worth no more than $70 a night... We had to wash everything when we got home today because the room left an awful odor on everything. It looked like the lakeside rooms had a nice view, however, I would not take a chance wasting money on this hotel ever again!!!!! Very disappointed and happy to be back in my clean home!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Maggieb80

I deeply apologize for the condition of your room during your stay with us. Clearly the room you stayed in was not adequate, and the cleaning process for the room incomplete. I hope that you notified a staff member about these issues during your stay so that our housekeeping staff could address and fix all of these concerns. Once again, I apologize for the experience you had with us, and we will use the comments to ensure that we improve our rooms.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I visited the Margate one weekend in July. Overall we had a great time. We had a lakeside room on the ground level and the view was quite nice. The room was clean but did have a musty smell. If you are expecting a fancy 5-star type room then I suggest you find another resort. The Margate is a family orientated resort with great views and a lot of activities to do inside and outside. Also the resort is conveniently located near shops, restaurants and tourist attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us and posting a review. I’m glad you were able to enjoy the scenery from your Lakeview room. I do apologize for any mustiness that was present. The heat and humidity created that affect on some of the ground level rooms this summer. Fortunately, the comments from guests like yourself helped us to install an air purification system to alleviate the problem. I’m glad that you mentioned that we are not a 5-star resort, but we do feel that we provide a wholesome experience full of activities for families, couples, and singles alike. We hope to have you back with us again soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I had a great time. Great sunsets, lake, beach, hot tub, pools, hot breakfast, beach bar, music, frig in room, shower pressure, microwave in common area, nice housekeepers, price, boats, bon fires, etc. etc. We will be back next summer for sure.

Room Tip: get a lake view...definitely worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vacationreviewersxm

Thank you for the glowing review! It certainly seems as though you were able to enjoy everything that we pride ourselves in. I’m so glad to hear that you both found everything to be wonderful and had an amazing experience. We can’t wait to have you back next year!

Kyle Parisi

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Naswa Resort
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
Half Moon Motel & Cottages
Half Moon Motel & Cottages
#2 of 5 in Weirs Beach

Been to The Margate Resort? Share your experiences!