“Flexible, prompt, friendly hospitality during our conference stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Margate Resort

The Margate Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
“Flexible, prompt, friendly hospitality during our conference stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at the margate for a themed weekend conference, MISTI-con. I found the staff to be exceptionally accommodating of our particular brand of weird. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and nicer than any other hotel in this price range. We got a reduced rate for the conference but I did some research for the season and the location. The lake is beautiful, and the beach was tidied and raked each day of our stay despite the near-sold out hotel. The conference rooms were well tended and the staff prompt to address any issues that arose. I live far enough away that a regular stay at the Margate won't be on the list, but I won't hesitate to attend the next conference being held here, due in no small part to the Margate staff and the beautiful grounds.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank RazedPhoenix
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thanks for the great writeup. Prompt and courteous is what we strive for, and I am happy our staff was able to meet or exceed the expectations of everyone at the MISTI-Con event. We can't wait to have everyone back in 2015! See you then.

Kyle Parisi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Millville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

This resort hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The rooms are large, comfortable and very clean. The amenities are fantastic. The service is the best I have ever had. And I believe the resort has the BEST staff I have ever seen in a hotel workplace, I can't wait to visit them again. Please seriously consider the Margate Resort when looking for a place to vacation at or even to have a special event. You will not be sorry that you did.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank margaret338
Thank you for your great compliments. To say this is the best service you have experienced is very flattering to everyone here at the hotel, and I will be reading this review to the staff this week. We all love the MISTI-Con and we are overjoyed that the MISTI-Con loves The Margate! See you in 2015!

Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed at this property in early June 2012. Staff was very nice and very helpful. Rooms were not 5 star, just clean ,efficient, comfortable and right on the lake. Great Tiki bar on the dock. Perfect location away from hustle and bustle but close to everything.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for the great review. You are right in saying that our rooms are not 5-star, but with all of the recent updates and amenities we have added, they now offer all the comforts and conveniences you'd expect at a quality resort. And compared to most other options in the Lakes Region and with the other summer activities The Margate has to offer, we believe we provide a great value. The Beach Bar is our pride and joy, and I am happy to hear you enjoyed it! Thanks again for the nice post.

Dracut, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

In the spirit of full disclosure I must admit here that we did not spend the night but visited an entire day with family members, so being a tripadvisor fan I kept my eyes open.
The Margate is a full service top class hotel. It was off-season so I cannot comment on the seasonal amenities that may be offered during the summer.
The room had two queen sized beds, a full bath with sink plus another sink in the entranceway next to the closet. There was also a dorm refrigerator, but no microwave plus a small table with two chairs. There was a sliding glass door with a view of the lake (Paugus Bay), still some patches of ice and part of the beach, still just a few patches of snow. There was no deck. Maybe because there were four adults and two small kids there, the room seemed small to me.
The resort has both an indoor and an outdoor pool. Obviously we visited the indoor pool. From their room there is a well appointed carpet floored tunnel under the parking lot to get to the pool area, dining room sand reception building. Along the tunnel there are some meeting rooms.
Of any feature this tunnel was the most impressive, well-lit, well decorated, very clean.
The indoor pool is pretty big, depth goes from 3 to 10 ft!. As you might expect there are lounges for observers, like us. There are also a hot tub, sauna excercise room and locker rooms for men and women. Those in the water said the temperature was not warm, but it was OK. We were surprised to notice a chair to lower handicapped people into the water. At this time kids were using it as a carnival ride! While we were lounging a younger person fell on the slippery wet tiles. Those who are not so steady should be careful when walking in the pool area.
In the room I did also notice that there are some spa treatments available at the resort.
Explorer that I am, I found a very inviting and well-appointed dining room, plus a small bar area next to it and sitting area with very comfortable sofas and chairs. Being off-season and a Sunday evening, all were closed or empty. I saw a sign advertising Jazz music, but don't know if there is dancing or music every weekend. Something to look into.
The grounds, like the buildings are well cared for. There is a large pavilion tent outside that I expect gets lots of use in the summer with beach parties, receptions and the like.
Directly across the street there is a Shaw's Market and diagonally there is a Chinese restaurant, if you don't want to take all your meals at the resort and don't want to drive either.
One thing my son-in-law and I noticed independently was that you needed a code number to get into the pool area, but you did not need the same to get inside the motel building. We also noted that the room locks still use "old fashioned" keys, not the new cards. This was surprising because in every thing else the Margate seems to be a top quality, up-to-date resort.
My wife and I will be looking into staying there ourselves one of these days - if we can afford it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting such a highly detailed review of The Margate. Every single thing you said is about as accurate as can be. Touching on some of the negatives....yes the Lakeview rooms are a bit too small for two adults and four children, although they can be used for such occupancy. We also have some family units available in our Inn building across the street, each having two rooms and up to four double beds in each unit. I would recommend those units for anyone desiring more space in the summer time. And yes our guest rooms are still set up with hard brass keys, but we are currently in the middle of updating our entire property to RFID keyless locks. These RFID locks are the cutting edge of technology and are backordered at the time, but should be installed by Fall 2013, just in time for foliage season. The advertisements you saw for the jazz performances was a series of musical events in our Blackstones Lounge that are beginning to wind down. For the summer of 2013 we have a few more jazz performances, and also a hilarious comedian named Bucky Lewis performing with other comedy acts from Boston through the Summer of 2013. Thanks again for taking the time to post such an informative review that I am sure will be a great help to anyone reading.

Kennebunk, Maine, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were happy with our room, it was very clean and the staff was quite friendly. We loved the large pool and the continental breakfast. This was our first time staying at the Margate but We Would stay there again!

Room Tip: The lake view was gorgeous even in its winter,spring state
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for giving us a try and for posting a review. Our indoor pool really is a great spot to relax in the off-season when it is cold outside. And just to keep our readers up to date, we recently added ADA compliant pool lifts to both our indoor and outdoor pools, for the comfort and convenience of any guests who are disabled or need assistance getting in and out of the pools. Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again soon.

Portland, Maine, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

It had been 20 years since my last visit to the Margate and I was extremely impressed with how great it still looked! Updated & very clean with all of the amenities of the best hotel chains. A great value!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jenque
Thank you for the nice words. The Margate has changed quite a bit in the last 20 years, but much of it is still the same. We have evolved through our 60 year history, with many new amenities being added, while others have faded away. It is always nice to know that our customers have enjoyed themselves here, and I am happy that your 2nd stay with us was as memorable as the 1st. Thank you again for your post.

massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Have stayed before but this time was a little disappointed. Went for a little family getaway and to take the kids tubing at Gunstock Mt.
Being school vacation for MASS there were a lot of children there. I went with 5 children myself and do not in anyway have a problem with children. I do have a problem with unsupervised children! They were running up and down the halls and even trying to get into one of our rooms. They were loud and everywhere!!!
Also found it "funny" how some parents sat in the bar on the other side of glass walls and watched there small children swim in the pool.
One room was extremely hot and the other was cool. Heater units would not regulate. Heat was totally broken in one of the bathrooms.
A little disappointed this time around.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thanks for the review. I am sorry to hear of your troubles this time around. I know during ski vacation week it can be crazy. I have caught many unsupervised children running full speed through the tunnel, bee-lining it for the game room! I always tell them to slow down, but on these school vacation weeks it can be quite a task to monitor everyone's children. The poolside bistro is a nice little area where the parents and other adults can gather to have a drink while being able to watch their children in the pool area through the glass wall. There have been some instances in the past when we wished some parents took a more active role in monitoring their children, and we typically try to stay neutral on situations unless it is unsafe, extreme in nature, or causing reported discomfort to other guests. Our 24-hour staff takes seriously any level of discomfort that is reported to us by a guest. We have even instituted a tip-line if a guest wants to report an incident but remain anonymous. The tip-line information is written on the 1st page of our hotel guest booklets that every guest received at check-in. Again I am sorry for the rambunctiousness you dealt with during your last stay, but if you have any problems in the future, please contact me or my staff anytime. Thanks again for your post.

Kyle Parisi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Wolfeboro Inn
#13 of 13 in Laconia
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#6 of 13 in Laconia

Been to The Margate Resort? Share your experiences!