The Margate Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Great 4.5/5
Lazy E Motor Inn(Weirs Beach)
Average 3/5
Bay Top Motel(Laconia)
Good 3.5/5
The Naswa Resort(Laconia)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsbeach baracross the streetindoor poolmain buildingharry potterhot breakfastfamily suitelakeside buildingrainy dayfree continental breakfasthot tuboff seasonbagelsfood and drinkslake viewlounge chairshousekeeping staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The view from our room was great....our room was a a bit dated but very clean. The plumbing here left a lot to be desired....problems with the toilet and bathtub backing up. The hotel was basically empty so we had the beach and morning breakfast areas to ourself. The bar area and boat docking area in front of the resort was closed so nothing to report about that area. The beach was cleaned every morning and evening so it looked good. I think that this resort has seen better days, but they certainly have a lovely spot to work with. Hopefully they will renovate the place siib,

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marie s
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for your review of The Margate. I agree that the views from our Lakefront rooms are beautiful, and one of the main reasons our guests choose to stay with us. We have invested millions of dollars over the years keeping this property in top condition, and will continue to do so while not going overboard to cause our rates to double or triple. The Margate is a great lakeside resort, and we wish to keep this great spot as affordable as possible. But thank you for noticing the cleanliness of our rooms, something in which we take great pride. Thank you again for your review.

Kyle Parisi

Reviewed September 14, 2012

currently staying here and have to check out tomorrow morning to change rooms. Have to check out at 11 and then can't check in until 4. REALLY...they offered to let us check in earlier for a price...REALLY...finally got a phone call that they will let us check back in at 2 for no additional charge. I guess we will sit in the lobby with our suitcases for three hours.

We asked if there was a microwave available and they said no problem we could use one at the front desk. When we tried to the receptionist had to take the food (for a baby) and microwave it herself. It wasn't hot enough...not too hard to figure that out so I asked her to reheat it...she acted like I had asked her to sever her right arm...she heated it so hot that I could hardly take it back to my room. If there is not convenient microwave available just let me know...I will make other arrangements.

I could go on...but I cannot wait to get out of here and if not for a family wedding we would already be gone. Needless to say we will not be back.

Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank M H
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

This guest made an online reservation for a Lakeview room for one night. After checking in, the guest contacted our front desk to ask if he could extend the room for another night. Unfortunately we were already sold out of Lakeview rooms for the 2nd night he was asking for. The guest became argumentative with our staff and tried every way possible to convince us to just give him the room and relocate the other incoming guests to another room somewhere else on property. This would be totally unfair to the incoming guest who made a reservation and paid a deposit for a Lakeview room. When a guest makes a reservation at The Margate, they are guaranteed the room type they have chosen, otherwise we would not call it a "reservation". It is to "reserve" your room, not have it given away to someone else unfairly. We made every attempt to accommodate this guest, and we had secured a different room type to move him into for his second night. Our guaranteed check-in time is 4pm, however due to the circumstances, we promised that we place priority on him and that we would have his new room ready by 2pm. If we could have had the room ready earlier we certainly would have, but being 100% sold out the night before, we need to wait for the previous occupants to depart before we can even get into the room to clean! Unfortunately every effort we made to accommodate this guest was not good enough, including the warming of the baby food. It saddens us when guests do not appreciate our efforts, but we do understand that not everyone can be pleased. Thank you for reading.

Kyle Parisi

Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is a pretty nice place but it has seen better days and needs refreshing. The location is good and bad. There are a lot of conveniences within walking distance but you have to navigate a very busy street with cars travelling at high speed. The beach was okay for a lake but it is extremely noisy during peak hours. It is best enjoyed in the early morning or at night if you want a tranquil place to mellow out. There is an anchorage area right next to the "private beach" and people from the anchored boats hung out, drank alcohol, let their children run amok amongst the guests who paid to enjoy the beach. I did not observe any hotel staff telling them to leave. They also blasted a cacophony of loud and tacky music from multiple boats throughout the day. Early one morning, my wife and I decided to drink our coffee on the beach. A staff member who was tidying up the beach gave me a hard time because I used a towel to dry the two chairs that we were going to use on the beach. She also rudely, in broken english, told us to go to the other end of the beach. We chalked it up to youth, ignorance and maybe illegal alien status but it definitely poisoned our view of the place. We also wondered why this same person was not playing beach police with all of the non-paying folks wandering around the beach later that day. The restaraunt puts a very good morning repast at a reasonable price. The nightly in season rate was deemed to be too high for the quality of our stay.

Room Tip: The lake view room we had was very small and not worth the price. Recommnd going with a bigger room at a lower rate.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaptainMM
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed here 9/6 and 9/7. As soon as I got into the room I noticed an odor - just not a fresh smelling room. The rug was very stained, esp. between the 2 beds. The place actually seemed deserted - it was so quiet. For anyone ever staying there again, room 419 has a toilet paper holder that only a long armed mutant could reach while 'seated'. So forewarned - grab any paper you might use before you sit. That night my niece and I turned on the air conditioner - OMG - sounded like a jet plane landing. Couldn't sleep with that much noise so we opened the slider. Sheer curtains were stained but at least we had fresh air. Staff at desk should have known that parking at Weir Beach is free during the week in Sept. instead of having us feed the meters for our 2 and 1/2 hour tour of Lake W. 2nd. night there was a rehearsal dinner for the next day wedding. Our room very close to the outdoor bar - noise was over the top until after 2:00 a.m. So ---- our choice was the jet plane A/C unit or the "partiers" - We knew that at some time the rehearsal people would either pass out or go to bed, so we again chose to leave the glass slider open since the A/C unit was beyond an acceptable noise level. Finally as we were packing our suitcase, I opened the drawer between the 2 beds (where we had stashed an unopened bag of chips and an unopened box of Mike & Ike candy) - and saw a crawly worm (larva?) making its way across the drawer. We threw the candy out - And didn't dare look under beds or in any other drawers. We will not book this place again -

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mollycee
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Margate on September 6, 2012. We had a king room overlooking the lake, which was immaculate and very comfortable. The amenities included made our stay all the better. There were two sinks, comfortable furniture, in-room coffee and a delicious continental breakfast. We sat in the comfortable chaise lounges at the beach and enjoyed the beautiful view of the lake. I would not hesitate to return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple