“Very Good but....”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
New York City, New York
“Very Good but....”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Here is the Truth as we know it, so we decided at the last minute to travel the 6hrs to Lake Winnipesaukee & stay at the Margate.
1st of all there are different prices for different rooms we opted for the Motel Style which was ok a little dated but adequate.
We unpacked and went off to explore very nice indoor pool & very nice outdoor pool but surprising across a main road, loads of room to build an outdoor pool overlooking the lake would be incredible. Seems the main attraction is the bar on the lake, now I'm not going to lie how could I after all I am the Truth! this is a very nice bar what I didn't like is that anyone can use it, which is fine but if shouldn't guests get priority or how about this a 10% guest card or pick 1 night were its guests night show your key and you get a drink promotion, just ideas to make your guests feel like since they have paid to stay there, they are a little special.
Nothing for kids found this a little strange quite a few staff couldn't someone arrange some kids activities during the day, arts & crafts, treasure hunt just ideas.
I'm not trying to be too negative because the Margate is a very nice place, nice little beach, nice pools, great staff, fantastic manager Kyle.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you very much for the constructive review of The Margate. I am happy to hear you had a great time with us. The Beach Bar is just as you say, one of the major attractions at The Margate, and it has grown in popularity every year for the past several years. Although the Beach Bar is open to the public, I have said from day one that it is most importantly an amenity for the overnight guests, who should always be able to get a table. For this reason, we have never advertised our Beach Bar in any publications, other than to show it as a hotel amenity. We have many locals that consider the Beach Bar as a "hidden gem", and we appreciate their patronage. We added 12 more seats in the lawn area, and will be adding 12 more seats next summer. We are thinking about making this new lawn section a "hotel guests only" section, and because of the level of business, possibly employing a hostess instead of the casual "seat yourself" method that has been used down there for decades. This will ensure that our hotel guests do not have to wait too long for a table to open up, and hopefully provide a better experience overall. We are thrilled that our Beach Bar has grown with such leaps and bounds, and that our guests are thoroughly enjoying their time with us. We are blessed to have been so busy this summer, and we welcome the opportunity to solve these issues. By the way, we DO have perks for our hotel guests. This summer we ran a multi-night promotion, for any reservations of 3 or more nights mid week, the guests were given a complimentary $20 gift card called "Margate Bux" that could be used at our Beach Bar for food or beverage. We gave out almost 600 of these gift cards this summer, and it turned out to be a great added value for our guests. Keep an eye out for our e-mail blasts and check out website next year for any specials and promotions we may be running! Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again!

Kyle Parisi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
RI
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I gave this a 5 more for the great time we had here than the hotel itself. We booked a room at the inn building not knowing it was across the street. We had 2 kids with us and a boat and wanted to be at the lake. The check in staff was great in helping us get a room at the lake and also facing it for only a little more money. This is a very fun place, very nice beach with chairs, towels, drink service, free pop corn. The sandy beach is very well maintained and clean, we watched them rake it each morning from our window. They also have a bonfire on the beach every night. There is a beach bar/restaurant where we ate most of our lunches and a dinner. A little pricey but not more then most other hotel restaurants.The best part of it was the staff, we had a bartender (wish I could remember her name) who was excellent, each day she remembered us and was so great with our kids. She really made the place fun.
There are 2 pools, a huge one with a hot tub inside and an outdoor one across the street at the inn. There is a restaurant inside where we had breakfast but at night it was not open, I think due to a wedding and some music and comedy events going on. We had a handy-cap room (we are not handy-cap) that was huge, more like a singe room suite with a seating area and sliding glass doors overlooking the lake. Room was clean as was the hotel. We loved the place so much that at the last min we decided to stay another night, the staff was able to let us stay in the same room, even know the hotel was almost full. I could go on and on about how much we enjoyed our stay here, not a singe thing to complain about. Great location, and hotel, but there greatest asset is their staff. We were here for 4 days and cant wait to return, which we will at least once every year from now on.

Room Tip: if you want to be at the lake, don't book the Inn building, it is across the street.
1 Thank TripMember081820152
Dunstable, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was helping my disabled son make a reservation for a wedding he plans to attend through a 3 way call. Initially, Rebecca quoted us one price for the room. When we told her we were with a wedding party the price went up by $40. When my son expressed confusion about the room prices, Rebecca became frustrated and said, "call back when you're ready to make a reservation." We asked her to wait, but she hung up on us.
Additionally, the bride was told there was a two day minimum. But if you register outside of the wedding block it seems you can register for one night. We have yet to stay there, since the wedding is the end of the month. I hope the rest of the staff is more accommodating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Although we would have preferred you contacting a manager directly to assist you with your concerns, thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. There seems to be a bit of confusion surrounding this issue, so I will try to keep this as simple as possible. The wedding you are attending is on Labor Day weekend, and in the past, the Sunday of that weekend was full weekend rate. This year we decided to lower the Sunday rate to give our guests a better value to stay through the whole holiday weekend. The wedding block you are part of booked their event over a year ago, before we lowered that Sunday rate, and we never noticed that the previously booked groups still had the old higher rate still listed in the computer. This issue has been corrected and I assure you that no group members at any time of the year are made to pay a higher rate than is generally available to the public. Regarding the 2-night minimum stay, on the contrary to your review, the wedding groups that specific weekend are NOT required for the 2-night minimum on Saturday, but for those not part of a pre-booked group, the 2-night minimum is required. So that is actually a perk that we permitted for your wedding group. I spoke with your reservationist and she assured me that she did the best she could with the information that our computer systems were displaying, and perhaps she should have directed you to a manager at that time to figure out what was going on with the Sunday rate. Thanks again for bringing this matter to our attention, and we hope you have a great stay a few weeks from now.
Rhode Island
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We just returned from 5 days at the Margate and I must say it exceeded our expectations. We stayed in a two bedroom room across the street in the Inn Building and although by day 5 our legs were tired from walking back and forth and climbing the stairs to the 2nd floor, it was well worth it. We had 6 teenagers with us and the room comfortably held a cot and a twin air mattress for sleeping. The room was pretty nice overall and fairly clean although the floor near the sink/closet area was kind of sticky. All of the staff worked extremely hard and were very quick to respond to requests for towels or anything else. The only negative I can say about the Inn Building is there are not refrigerators in the rooms. I did request one while making reservations but when I checked in, they said it wasn't noted. This did not make a good first impression but that is the only time I can say I was not satisfied. We had brought a cooler that held all of our drinks and we bought a small cooler at the market to hold our lunch meats and condiments. We ate lunch every day on the picnic tables (these could use upgrading) and there was plenty of room to throw a ball around and relax after lunch in the grassy area. Other families used this area for a fire at night and many I saw brought grills and barbecued. The continental breakfast was very good and is the most I have ever seen for no charge at a hotel. The kids loved the indoor pool but the best part was the lake. It is shallow and mostly sandy and we just floated around on our tubes for hours every day. Other than a couple of hours we spent at Weirs Beach, we never left the resort except for dinner. We did rent kayaks on two occasions and I found that a little pricey and the kids wished they had paddle boats but between the pools, the lake and the arcade, they had very little free time on their hands and all of them said they cannot wait to return. (They could not believe the rooms didn't have flatscreen tvs, but the tvs were never even used) I recommend this resort to anyone that wants to relax and enjoy the beautiful sandy beach and sunsets. We ate dinner up the street at another waterfront resort with some family that was vacationing in the area, and it was so squished and busy with more of a bar/club atmosphere, we are so glad we chose The Margate.

1 Thank RhodeIslandPumpkin
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Our recent stay at the Margate exceeded my expectations. This resort has an extensive piece of property directly on the beach, and there are a variety of accommodations from which to choose. We were in the Lakefront building and were literally just steps from the beach! The water is like clear crystal and after a swim there are comfortable lounge chairs for relaxing. Beach toys and swim floats are complimentary and kayaks can be rented for just 12.00 an hour. We really appreciated having extra pool and beach towels supplied as well.

The rooms are great. The mattresses were extremely comfortable and there are plenty of pillows too. The bedding is crisp and new. Margate also gives you a fairly good sized fridge for the room and a Keurig coffee maker. Bathroom is immaculate and an abundant supply of top of the line toiletries are given each day.

Guests can either have the complimentary continental breakfast or pay 6.95 for a hot buffet. We found the continental one to be more than adequate: muffins, bagels, three kinds of fresh fruit (took a red delicious apple every day!) , Cheerios, raisin bran, small containers of skippy peanut butter, etc. ---- one of the best I've had in a hotel.

I found the staff to be friendly and helpful and our housekeeper was speedy, thorough, and efficient. I hope the management appreciates the folks on staff who do all the hard work to keep the place running.

I have just a couple of minor suggestions that would enhance some guests' experience a bit more:
1. Offer a few "healthier" menu items at the Gazebo Bar. Many of the selections are high in fat such as the nachos, mozzarella sticks, and wings. Even the salads seem heavy.

2. Consider jet ski rentals for the guests. I think there would be sufficient interest to keep two or three going.

If I were to return to Laconia, I would choose the Margate.

Room Tip: Choose one of the buildings that is on the beach side of the road. Avoid the one where you need to...
Thank We'reReady!!
Connecticut
Reviewed August 8, 2012

ROOM-
My wife, 2 year old son and I stayed here for 3 nights, in a courtyard room (Lakefront building without the lake view). I was extremely satisfied with cleanliness and overall appearance of the room. Based on other non-chain hotel/motels we've stayed in, our expectations weren't all that high, just expecting something clean. The room however, was very reminiscent of our stays at Hampton Inns. It's clear that the rooms have gone through a pretty recent renovation; modern appearance, pillow top mattresses, small refrigerator, keurig coffee maker, the only thing that reminded me we weren’t staying in a Hampton Inn was the almost laughable television. It just looked so out of place, couldn’t have been more than a 22-25” TV that scared my son when it popped on and floated between a green-ish/blue-ish tint the whole time it was on. To be fair, we didn’t inform the staff the TV was a little “off” because we didn’t use it enough anyway. We actually just put a laptop on top of the TV and used that to watch stuff because it was easier to see.

BEACH BAR-
The beach bar was bar-none THE BEST FOOD compared to every other restaurant we ate at during the 4 days we were there, and we ate at different places each day for each meal. It’s too bad we didn’t eat there more often. The prices seemed a tad steep at first, for a little beach bar, but the food was plentiful and absolutely amazing.

BEACH-
The beach itself was big enough and had enough lounge chairs so that guests could hang out on the beach and not be on top of each other. The days we were there, they handed out popcorn and snowcones. Also had a small fire on the beach at night, it was really very nice. The only complaint that we had, which was probably the biggest and only REAL downside to this place was how rocky the beach was where it meets the water and about 10-15’ into the water. To the point where my 2 year old didn’t want to go in until we ran over to Walmart and bought some water shoes. My wife and I didn’t really go in too much for this reason also.

STAFF-
All were very friendly, they do a great job with the rooms and keeping the grounds looking very nice.

All in all, we had a great time here and will most likely stay again next year. I picked on the TVs above, but if the darn water wasn’t so rocky, based on our stay, this would have been an easy 5.

Room Tip: Inn building is accross the street from the beach/indoor pool & breakfast.
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We booked a 5 night stay based on the amenities the resort has to offer. We wanted to be on the lake but the options of the indoor and outdoor pools were great as well. The grounds are very well kept, the beach gets raked every morning. The common areas of the resort are also kept very clean. The main hotel is very dated, like a trip back to 1980 but it's clean, and that goes a long way!
Our room was in the Inn across the street from the main hotel and lake so we had to walk a bit but that was ok. Our room was much larger than your typical hotel room with double beds and the beds were upgraded with nice fluffy duvets. The housekeeping staff was very friendly and accommodating.
We had to ask for a different room on arrival though as ours had clearly had about 20 people chain-smoking in it recently. The hotel is all non-smoking but there had been 3 wedding that weekend (we arrived on Sunday). They promptly changed our room which was found to be very clean and definitely not smoked in.
The beach bar is very cool and the waitstaff will take orders right from your beach chair! The food was nothing special and the drinks are a bit on the high $$$ side but I guess you are paying for the experience of the beach bar. There are free snow cones or popcorn for the kids everyday on the beach as well as a few beach toys that can be borrowed. We had our kids who are 6 and 8 with us and they loved being able to jump off the boat docks into the water over and over again.
The continental breakfast was actually quite nice from others I have had. They offer fresh fruit, yogurt, muffins and pastries as well as cereal bagels and english muffins. We never purchased the buffet as we had a good selection on the other side. You get a Keurig in your room which is awesome as well.
I would not recommend the motel-style rooms as I noticed the people staying there would stay up late hanging out in front of the rooms and it looked a bit ghetto with their stuff laying around everywhere. That is obviously no fault of the resort but just an observation as we could have switched to one of those rooms and I am glad we didn't.
Sometimes they will do a random bonfire on the beach. They leave a pile of wood and chairs for the guests to relax at.
We will definitely return next summer!

Room Tip: The rooms in the building on the lake are probably the best for couples with small kids. The Inn roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Naswa Resort
Grand View Motel and Cottages
Grand View Motel and Cottages
#2 of 5 in Weirs Beach
Weirs Beach Motel and Cottages

Been to The Margate Resort? Share your experiences!