“Family of 4 Loved it, will be back!”
Review of The Margate Resort

The Margate Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
“Family of 4 Loved it, will be back!”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This trip was last minute planned and I am glad we used Trip Advisor to steer us once again to a great vacation spot! When I called to make the reservation, I could tell the service person was very busy from the background noise, but yet he took the time to confirm everything and tell us a little about the amenities. Then he told me check in was at 4pm but I should feel free to come up early and enjoy some time at the beach until our room was ready if we wanted. That was a very nice touch. Most hotels spend their time telling you about what you can and can't do by their rules and this was a refreshing cahnge....and we weren't even there yet!

We had room 28 by the lake and I can say without a doubt this section is where we will always stay upon return if tis available. We had 2 double beds. The room was the average 2 double beds but very clean, nicely appointed and had crown moulding. I know this might seem silly but crown moulding is usually a good indication that a place takes some pride in its establishment. Although there is some weird bump in the wall between the two beds I couldn't figure out....maybe somebody punched the wall from the other side. It amused the kids for 20-30 minutes making up stories about how "the bump" came to be there!

We checked in late around 10pm and our kids are 12 & 14 and of course wanted to hit the water at 10pm. We went down to the beach which is just about 50 feet away from that section of rooms and we were pleasantly surprised that the beach bar was still open and a beach/camp fire was going. The kids swam a bit and we had a couple drinks and settled in by the fire. A nice night, your kids are happy, a drink in your hand and the smell of wood fire....I knew it was going to be a great vacation!

We stayed a total of 5 nights....3 great sunny days and 2 lousy rainy. But there is a nicely kept indoor pool and hot tub and lots of shopping nearby for those rainy days.

The beach bar is a really great amenity. You can sit on the beach and have your drinks and food brought right to your beach chair. The food was really good too. We went out to supper 2 nights because we wanted to get out and see around the area. We spent over $100 each night and the food was just so-so. Both times the kids said we should have just ate at the beach bar instead, I agree....next time we will!

I packed a bunch of snacks and extras because I had never been to this place. There wss no need....there is a shopping strip across the street with a grocer store, pharmacy, etc. For you coffee lovers, there is a keurig in your room...They provide the standard Green Mountain Breakfast Blend, so if you really love your coffee bring along your favorite K-Cups and pick up some half n half to have in your mini fridge.

All areas are nicely maintained and the staff are always very friendly and attentive. The staff are always (day and night) on the beach, picking up, lining up the beach chairs and doing other general maintenance. They must drag the beach each night, because every mroning the sand was nice and smooth and ready for that day's beach goers.

The swim areas are very nice and gradually deepen to adult chest height right out to the roped off swim section. Nice sand and pebbles on the lake bottom and you can see clearly to the bottom in most sections.

With the rooms being so close it is so convenient to go to the bathroom in a non-public place, head in out of the hot noon-day sun f you want and a convenient shower and change of clothes.

The only thing I can think of negative was the fact that the beach bar is open to the public. That meant the parking spaces near our room were often taken by non-guests coming to the bar. I'm also not a big fan of sunbathing on the beach next to a deck full of people who are non-guests and not in the same beach attire as you. Its fine when you are 22, but a bit unnerving for us middle-aged women. As a mother it also made me a bit more attentive to watching my kids every second with outsiders/non-families around. There really isn't much the resort can do about that. I'm sure they need the outside patrons to be able to keep the beach bar in a positive cash flow and thus available to its guests .....it was a very nice extra to have around.

Some suggestions for the resort:
-bump up overnight staffing. Though they are completely pleasant under stress, they do seem overwhelmed with incoming calls, guest requests, etc....even when I went at 11-12pm at night when I thought it would be quieter to retrieve extra towels,, etc...there were still a steady stream of guests checking in, guests requesting items and the phone ringing in the back office for reservations.
-when the economy comes back and you can afford some ronnovations, think about adding or rennovating existing buildings to make family style units. Most parents travel to other destination locations that include at least 2 bedroms and kitchenettes. My husband and I missed the privacy of the kids having their own bedrooms. It was ok to do the standards 2 double bed when they were little, but now that they are growing up it would be nice to have some privacy for all of us.
-lakeside rooms need "peep"holes or whatever they are called. If we went out of the room to get extra towels, etc the kids had to pull back the curtain to see it was us returning, rather than being able to look through the little view hole securely.
-row of parking nearest the beach should be marked/designated guest parking only. It would even be nice if the onces closest to the lakeside motel section had designated room #'s on them....like one per room and the rest of the parking towards the back as open parking and for beach bar patrons.
These are just suggestions. Hotels can't be everything to everyone but The Margate tries very hard to please as many as they can. We very much enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Lakeside rooms are the least expensive and most convenient to the beach for families.
2 Thank Zeke-n-Sheila
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Wow, thank you for the long and highly detailed review of The Margate! I think you pretty much covered everything! I agree that the West Beach building in which you stayed is the best choice. With only 7 rooms in that building it is sometimes tough to get a room, but with the proximity and direct access to the beach there are no other rooms like it. I will make sure that my beach and maintenance crews are aware of your nice comments appreciating all of their hard work. In regard to some of your suggestions, yes the Beach Bar itself is open to the public, but we keep the beach area itself restricted to overnight guests only. Our beach crew is instructed to ask for hotel keys when guests begin to occupy beach chairs. This helps to make sure our overnight guests always have a lounge chair on our private beach. We do have some family units although none of them have kitchenettes. Most of our family units are located in our Inn building, however we do have one family unit in our Lakefront building. Besides the family units, we also have standard guest rooms with adjoining interior doors, in our Inn and Lake buildings. Adding kitchenettes to our existing buildings may be quite an undertaking, but it is always an option we can explore. Adding peepholes to the West building doors is definitely something we can do. Inn and Lake guest rooms all have peep holes, so I am not sure why the West has never had them. Labelling the parking spaces near the West building may also be a possibility that we can look into. Thank you again for your very eloquent and informative post, and your good suggestions. I think your one review will provide enough information to any traveler to help them make a decision on where to stay! We hope to see you again!

Kyle Parisi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Great place for families, couples and weddings! The beach bar was lots of fun. The rooms were very clean and spacious. There is an inside pool and whirlpool, an outside poola nd a little private beach. The breakfast buffet was expansive and definitely worth the $7 price. Or the have a free continental with pastries. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for the great review and I am happy you enjoyed your time with us. To mention that we are the best hotel in Laconia is a wonderful compliment. Thank you for that. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Salem, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was our second stay. We stayed 2 years ago and because of a trip to Disney last year did not get to go. When we asked our kids where they wanted to go this year the immediate response was "the place on the lake in NH!". Our room was super clean. When you are on the beach you would never know there are plenty of stores close by in case you need something. The beach is great and having the restaurant right there is awesome. It is a very relaxing place to be. My brother and sister in law met us for a few days and can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am always happy to hear that children have enjoyed their visit to The Margate. A great deal of what we offer at the hotel is for the enjoyment of the kids. From the free snow cones and popcorn handed out by the beach attendants, to the brand new game room, to the kayak and canoe rentals, we know if the kids are happy, then parents will be happier! Speaking of the game room, a few days ago one of the kids staying at the hotel talked me into a competition involving the basketball arcade. Of course he ended up beating me, which was embarrasing, at which point I was obligated to pay him with a free vanilla shake from the Beach Bar. It is our hope that every child's vacation at The Margate leaves them with lasting memories of good times with their family to be remembered for years to come. Thank you once again for your great review.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We needed a family getaway and decided to head up to Lake Winnipesaukee. We didn't want to spend a lot of money on the Meredith hotels, as we were doing a lot of water rentals. We took a chance on The Margate and was pleasantly surprised. Although, not on the Lake, it is on the bay, which was better for kayaking. (less big boats!) The gazebo on the water was heavenly, bonfire at night was a bonus. They serve the best Key-Lime Pie! We didn't use the pools or work-out room but they looked very clean. They had kayaks/canoes for a tiny fee, and allowed fishing from their decks. (Although, boats were tied up there most of the time. - wish we had a boat!) They provided plenty of lounge chairs on their beach and it was clean. The continental breakfast was the usual with cold cereal, yummy muffins and bagels/toast. If you wanted pancakes, etc a small fee. The staff was young and cheerful. We had no problems at all! We drove by other hotels that we were considering to stay at, and was shocked at the condition of the others!

Room Tip: Lakeside - facing the gazebo was excellent. We had A/C on all the time and didn't hear any noise...
1 Thank two_girls_and_mom
Thank you for the great review. I am happy that you chose us for your family getaway and that you were pleasantly surprised with what we have to offer. The Margate, only 1.5 hours north of the Boston area, is a great spot for a quick getaway from the hustle and bustle. With our multi-night mid-week discounts, the value cannot be beat. I am glad you enjoyed the evening bonfire on the beach. This is something we have started doing every once in a while for the past few years, however it has become so popular that we have decided to offer these bonfires every summer night on our beach starting around sunset. Sit out on the beach at dusk with a roaring fire, enjoy a few beers or cocktails from our Beach Bar that usually stays open until midnight or 1am, relax at the waters edge and look up at the stars. It is an experience that the whole family will appreciate. Thank you again for your kind words and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We always spend a few nights at the Weirs a couple of times a year. We always stay at this one place until this time. What fascinated me first was the landscape, then the tiki bar on the lake, the beach, the pool area, then I saw the room. We got a king size waterfront room. Well worth every penny. Then the delious buffet breakfast so worth the money. Everything was fabulous. Will now go every time we go up north.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Block560
Thank you for saying The Margate was the best hotel you have ever stayed in! That is quite a compliment and I am sure our entire staff will be overjoyed to hear this. Our Beach Bar is having a record year and our customer satisfaction seems to be going through the roof. We are so lucky to have such a cheerful group of bartenders and waitresses that have worked together over the past couple of years to develop a level of teamwork that helps to enhance our guests experience with us. I am pleased that your vacation with us was "worth every penny". Nothing is more rewarding than hearing that our efforts are appreciated and that we are providing the proper value for the money. Thank you again for your great review!

Salem, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I took the kids here for a long weekend on a whim. We didn't know much about the resort, but they had availability for an adjoining hotel room and that's what we wanted.
We had a great time and really enjoyed the resort.

The only negative things are can say are:
1. The a/c in one of our rooms did not work, we survived by the running the other one on full blast, but for a longer stay I would have wanted it fixed. (I did not call management about it, so I cannot say one way or the other how they handle a situation like that)
2. The Inn building has no elevators. This normally wouldn't bother me, but I have a seven month old so maneuvering up and down the stairs with a stroller was very difficult for me, as I took her out without my husband or step son and was left to handle the stairs alone. In the future I will request a ground level floor. (This only applies to the Inn, the Lake building does have elevators)

One of my favorite things is the service on the beach. A server will bring you food and drinks at your lounge chair and for this mommy, there is nothing better than some one bringing me a cocktail on the beach! Plus, no need for cash, just charge it to the room! :)

Indoor heated pool, outdoor pool, lake, beach entry, fitness room, beach bar, friendly staff and very clean rooms make the Margate an awesome place to stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your thoughtful review of our hotel. We always appreciate when guests share their unique experience with other travelers who may be coming to the Lakes Region. I am happy you enjoyed the food and beverage service directly on the beach. We are proud to be one of the only hotels (if not the only) on Winnipesaukee that provides this service right on the beach. Our Beach Bar is open to the public, but the beach itself is restricted only to hotel guests. We always staff one or two dedicated beach waitresses to serve our beach goers. It prevents guests such as yourself from having to wait in line at the Beach Bar to get a drink, or to wait for a table to open up. It is just that little bit of extra service that we believe our overnight guests deserve. I am sorry you had to bear with an a/c breakdown, and wish you would have given us a call. We are happy to do it, and It typically only takes 5 or 10 minutes to switch out an a/c unit. Again, thank you for the post, and we hope to see you again!

Massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My son got married here in June, everything was great. The weather for a start, location on the lake, the view from our room, the view during the ceremony, the fireworks afterwards. The reception staff and event staff were very helpful, they even hovered intermittently to make sure nothing else was needed and everthing was going to plan. Our rooms were clean, there were plenty of extra towels and more towels were brought expediously when requested. There were towels in the room expressly for beach use too. There was a supermarket across the street and a refrigerator in the room, and a great airconditioner on a warm weekend made sleeping perfect.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SaraDL
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you so much for the nice review! Our wedding business has grown tremendously over the past few years, and we are happy about that because we take great pride in being able to assist couples with one of the most important days of their lives. With the completion of our brand new Lakeside Pavilion, designed specifically for lakeside wedding ceremonies, our brides and grooms can now be wed just steps away from the water's edge in a venue that can accommodate up to 300 guests. The fireworks package is also one of the best ways to end the night. Very reasonably priced, they make any wedding unique and they leave a lasting impression on every guest. Our staff is always "hovering" and making sure nothing goes wrong. I personally hover around each and every event, especially for weddings, and I am usually on property until 2 or 3 am to deal with any issues that may arise. Our event staff will also be reading your review and they will be very appreciative of what you wrote. Thank you again for your kind words.

Kyle Parisi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Wolfeboro Inn
#13 of 13 in Laconia
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#6 of 13 in Laconia

Been to The Margate Resort? Share your experiences!