“Cannot wait to go back!!”
Review of The Margate Resort

The Margate Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Salem, Massachusetts, United States
“Cannot wait to go back!!”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I took the kids here for a long weekend on a whim. We didn't know much about the resort, but they had availability for an adjoining hotel room and that's what we wanted.
We had a great time and really enjoyed the resort.

The only negative things are can say are:
1. The a/c in one of our rooms did not work, we survived by the running the other one on full blast, but for a longer stay I would have wanted it fixed. (I did not call management about it, so I cannot say one way or the other how they handle a situation like that)
2. The Inn building has no elevators. This normally wouldn't bother me, but I have a seven month old so maneuvering up and down the stairs with a stroller was very difficult for me, as I took her out without my husband or step son and was left to handle the stairs alone. In the future I will request a ground level floor. (This only applies to the Inn, the Lake building does have elevators)

One of my favorite things is the service on the beach. A server will bring you food and drinks at your lounge chair and for this mommy, there is nothing better than some one bringing me a cocktail on the beach! Plus, no need for cash, just charge it to the room! :)

Indoor heated pool, outdoor pool, lake, beach entry, fitness room, beach bar, friendly staff and very clean rooms make the Margate an awesome place to stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for your thoughtful review of our hotel. We always appreciate when guests share their unique experience with other travelers who may be coming to the Lakes Region. I am happy you enjoyed the food and beverage service directly on the beach. We are proud to be one of the only hotels (if not the only) on Winnipesaukee that provides this service right on the beach. Our Beach Bar is open to the public, but the beach itself is restricted only to hotel guests. We always staff one or two dedicated beach waitresses to serve our beach goers. It prevents guests such as yourself from having to wait in line at the Beach Bar to get a drink, or to wait for a table to open up. It is just that little bit of extra service that we believe our overnight guests deserve. I am sorry you had to bear with an a/c breakdown, and wish you would have given us a call. We are happy to do it, and It typically only takes 5 or 10 minutes to switch out an a/c unit. Again, thank you for the post, and we hope to see you again!

Kyle Parisi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My son got married here in June, everything was great. The weather for a start, location on the lake, the view from our room, the view during the ceremony, the fireworks afterwards. The reception staff and event staff were very helpful, they even hovered intermittently to make sure nothing else was needed and everthing was going to plan. Our rooms were clean, there were plenty of extra towels and more towels were brought expediously when requested. There were towels in the room expressly for beach use too. There was a supermarket across the street and a refrigerator in the room, and a great airconditioner on a warm weekend made sleeping perfect.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SaraDL
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you so much for the nice review! Our wedding business has grown tremendously over the past few years, and we are happy about that because we take great pride in being able to assist couples with one of the most important days of their lives. With the completion of our brand new Lakeside Pavilion, designed specifically for lakeside wedding ceremonies, our brides and grooms can now be wed just steps away from the water's edge in a venue that can accommodate up to 300 guests. The fireworks package is also one of the best ways to end the night. Very reasonably priced, they make any wedding unique and they leave a lasting impression on every guest. Our staff is always "hovering" and making sure nothing goes wrong. I personally hover around each and every event, especially for weddings, and I am usually on property until 2 or 3 am to deal with any issues that may arise. Our event staff will also be reading your review and they will be very appreciative of what you wrote. Thank you again for your kind words.

Templeton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 9, 2012

There is nothing to dislike about the Margate. From check-in to departure every thing was excellent. I have traveled all over the world and never have I seen such an attentive staff. Everyone smiles and it's sincere. We were there only for one night for a reunion, but we are planning to go back for three more days as a mini vacation. We had lunch at the outdoor bar and it was outstanding. The food was excellent and the wait staff was flawless and attentive without being intrusive. Do not miss the buffet breakfast as the quality of the food and value are the best in the area. Also take advantage of the beach area, you won't be disappointed. I was also impressed with the general cleanliness of the entire complex as there were several parties and beach bonfires Saturday night and when we went to the beach Sunday morning there was not a sign of litter, or party trash. In closing, I can honestly say the staff of the Margate made our stay, though short, incredibility enjoyable.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms offer the view of the lake. Well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mggrim2
Thank you for your great review of our property. So much action happens on our beach area. From kids swimming and playing, the beach bar packed with guests enjoying a full menu of delicious items, specialty cocktails or one of our 10 choices of draft beer, wedding processions marching though to our brand new Lakeside Pavilion for their ceremony, free popcorn and snow cones handed out to children, and later at night sometimes a bonfire in front of a sunset, there is definitely no shortage of traffic through our beach area. I hear so many times from guests that they couldn't believe when they woke up the next morning that the beach area appeared as if nobody had been there in weeks. I am so proud of our maintenance team, particularly this year, for being able to clean and rejuvenate our beach area each night and morning in almost dead silence while guests sleep, so that they may awaken to a nicely groomed beach to start the day. They have also done a great job in the midst of this continuing heat wave to keep all of our grassy areas lush and green. I am pleased that you noticed our efforts and I am going to pass along a copy of your review to the maintenance team. Thank you again for such an appreciative review, and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I am confused by the negative comments posted about this facility, as we have nothing but great things to say. We stayed in a lakeside room on the first floor that was easy access to the beach. As a family with a young son, we thought this resort provided so much for each of us with its pools, game room, beach bar and restaraunt, popcorn maker on the beach for the kids, bonfire, fireworks....I could go on and on. It was definitely worth every penny, and we thought, extremely reasonable. You will not find another place like it in the area. We did have an unfortunate incident where something was taken from our room, however it was eventually recovered and was handled by the GM as good as you could ask for. We would still go back tomorrow and will continue to recommend the Margate to all of our friends. Our only regret is we wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for reviewing! I was so happy that we were able to recover the stolen camera. I still can't believe that happened! At The Margate we typically have 5 to 10 items go missing per calendar year, and almost always we are able to locate the item somewhere in the guest room, or the item is found by the guest in their car or at home. In this case it was evident that the camera was taken out of your room by someone and placed in the housekeeping closet. Although we found the camera, I was appalled that one of our employees would do such a thing. Thankfully we have had no reports of anything else going missing since your incident. But I apologize again for the trouble it caused you that day, and thank you again for being so patient while we worked the problem. I am glad that the rest of your stay was above your expectations. We hope to see you again soon, and you are more than welcome to bring your kayak anytime!

Hopkinton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My sisters and I have stayed at The Margate resort twice and it has been heaven on earth each time. You simply won't find more beautiful scenery. We stayed in the main hotel facing the water which was more expensive but there are other options that cost less.

The highlights are
being able to bring floats in not only the lake but the indoor and outdoor pools as well :)
Nice continental breakfast included
Jacuzzi and sauna
Ample amount of quality beach chairs that you can place anywhere you want
very friendly and accommodating staff
clean sandy beach

This isn't a high end resort and doesn't pretend to be...the buildings are older and it shows but it's clean,the beds are comfortable and they have a super friendly staff who seem to enjoy being there.

This is a great place to stay...we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Waking up to a view of the lake is awesome and worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pickygal093
This is one of the greatest compliments we have ever received. Thank you for saying such nice things about our resort. We strive to create the most relaxing and enjoyable atmosphere on our beach while appreciating in the natural beauty that surrounds us. The Margate has just turned 60 years old, and while it used to be considered a high end resort, today we do not pretend to be on the cutting edge of hospitality. However we do our absolute best to preserve the property, maintain its functionality, and groom aesthetically pleasing grounds for our guests to enjoy. It is always rewarding to know that guests such as yourselves have appreciated our efforts. Thank you again for this wonderful review.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

New mattress and the same great service and staff. Booked a room for 2013 bike week. Looking forward for another great time.

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you so much for posting a review! The Margate is such a great location for Bike Week. Close enough to Weirs Beach to be part of the action, but not TOO close! We are pleased that you noticed the positive changes we made during the off-season, particularly the brand new bedding. We look forward to seeing you again next year! Thanks again.

Torrington, Connecticut
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Myself and two of my friends booked this hotel for bike week almost a year ago and were looking so forward to a nice stay at the margate and a good time during bike week. what had really excited us and caught our eye was the beach bar which is also open to the public, and the overall appearance of the "resort". I will quickly fill you in on our nightmare stay and experiences that we had there.... First of all our room was highly out dated and not clean whatsoever, you could get a better dinner or breakfast from Mcdonalds and there is about two people working the whole place at any given time. On Sat. 6/16/12 we went down to the beach bar for a few drinks before heading out to the broken spoke for the real party and while there had about three rounds of beers and a friend of mine had a few shots with our waitress whom appeared to be about fifteen years old but claimed to be twenty four, every round or shot that we ordered we paid for on the spot with CASH. upon the arrival of our taxi the bar tender comes to us with two different checks for drinks we never ordered nor drank. after going back and forth with her I ended up asking for a manager whom wouldn't listen to what I had to say and then went running across the street and brought two state troopers back as if i was threatening to kill him or something. I was so calmly talking this BOY of an owner who appears to be about twenty years old who ended up being the owner and he had no clue how to react to the situation so that's how he responded. Nothing ever came of the situation but I will say one thing I will never stay there again and I DO NOT recommend this place to anyone!!!! I

Room Tip: Find a different Hotel!!!
Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Eric A
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
....and the insults continue online! These two guests claimed they were overcharged at our beach bar. We researched their claim and found that no other tickets existed in our restaurant system that contained the same beverage items they were charged for, and their waitress (who has been with us for 4 years) informed me that their charges were accurate. They had ordered some shots with a very distinct (and vulgar name so we will not repeat it here), and our system showed that this specific drink was only served once all day, to the ticket these guests were disputing. So if these shots weren't on any other tickets all day long then how could they have already paid for them? These guests proceeded to verbally abuse our poor waitress to the point of tears and then left the bar. Afterwards they visited the front desk and created a loud and disruptive scene in our main lobby. One of our front desk girls who witnessed their drunken outburst actually resigned the next day out of fright. Waitress in tears? Frightened front desk employees? Guests who would not comply with my request for them to return to their rooms and call it a night? It was my obligation to summon the police who were stationed right across the street to prevent any further disruption to any of our other guests or employees. Even after the direct insults toward me and my hotel and the major disruption they had caused, I still advised the police that they may return to their hotel room and sleep it off. I also advised them that should these guests create any further disturbances that they would be removed from property. They quieted down and left the next morning without incident. I would usually thank any reviewer, positive or negative, for their contribution, however we feel that "revenge" posts like these dilute the truthfulness of online reviews with inaccurate information and insults that are of no value to any traveler.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Naswa Resort
#2 of 5 in Weirs Beach
The Summit Resort
The Summit Resort
#7 of 13 in Laconia

Been to The Margate Resort? Share your experiences!