“very unproffesional and inexperienced staff/owner!!! Bike week 2012”
Review of The Margate Resort

The Margate Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Myself and two of my friends booked this hotel for bike week almost a year ago and were looking so forward to a nice stay at the margate and a good time during bike week. what had really excited us and caught our eye was the beach bar which is also open to the public, and the overall appearance of the "resort". I will quickly fill you in on our nightmare stay and experiences that we had there.... First of all our room was highly out dated and not clean whatsoever, you could get a better dinner or breakfast from Mcdonalds and there is about two people working the whole place at any given time. On Sat. 6/16/12 we went down to the beach bar for a few drinks before heading out to the broken spoke for the real party and while there had about three rounds of beers and a friend of mine had a few shots with our waitress whom appeared to be about fifteen years old but claimed to be twenty four, every round or shot that we ordered we paid for on the spot with CASH. upon the arrival of our taxi the bar tender comes to us with two different checks for drinks we never ordered nor drank. after going back and forth with her I ended up asking for a manager whom wouldn't listen to what I had to say and then went running across the street and brought two state troopers back as if i was threatening to kill him or something. I was so calmly talking this BOY of an owner who appears to be about twenty years old who ended up being the owner and he had no clue how to react to the situation so that's how he responded. Nothing ever came of the situation but I will say one thing I will never stay there again and I DO NOT recommend this place to anyone!!!! I

Room Tip: Find a different Hotel!!!
Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Eric A
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

....and the insults continue online! These two guests claimed they were overcharged at our beach bar. We researched their claim and found that no other tickets existed in our restaurant system that contained the same beverage items they were charged for, and their waitress (who has been with us for 4 years) informed me that their charges were accurate. They had ordered some shots with a very distinct (and vulgar name so we will not repeat it here), and our system showed that this specific drink was only served once all day, to the ticket these guests were disputing. So if these shots weren't on any other tickets all day long then how could they have already paid for them? These guests proceeded to verbally abuse our poor waitress to the point of tears and then left the bar. Afterwards they visited the front desk and created a loud and disruptive scene in our main lobby. One of our front desk girls who witnessed their drunken outburst actually resigned the next day out of fright. Waitress in tears? Frightened front desk employees? Guests who would not comply with my request for them to return to their rooms and call it a night? It was my obligation to summon the police who were stationed right across the street to prevent any further disruption to any of our other guests or employees. Even after the direct insults toward me and my hotel and the major disruption they had caused, I still advised the police that they may return to their hotel room and sleep it off. I also advised them that should these guests create any further disturbances that they would be removed from property. They quieted down and left the next morning without incident. I would usually thank any reviewer, positive or negative, for their contribution, however we feel that "revenge" posts like these dilute the truthfulness of online reviews with inaccurate information and insults that are of no value to any traveler.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I can not say anything bad about the property its very nice and well maintained the staff however was very light for such a major event as Bike Week which leads me to my major complaint and the reason for the low marks on rating.

They have Tiki bar on the lake woefully understaffed with very young and inexperienced staff, placing a little girl at a bar full of bikers in the rain is NOT a wise move, I ran a tab and ordered drinks and food, during the night the young lady got flustered and messed up several bar tabs by adding drinks and food to tabs that were not ordering the food etc. at the end of the night my tab was extremely high as in 3 digit high when I questioned the young lady she was so overwhelmed she just said take care of it with the manager which I would have if we could find one!

At check out the Front desk folks were very helpful but all I kept hearing was I had to wait to the manager gets here...its BIKE WEEK or for that matter any major event why is the manager NOT on site first thing in the morning, my party was leaving and I had a 6 hour ride back I received a VM from the desk stating they had a "signed" receipt with my name on it so as far as there concerned its legit even after I explained to the woman at the front desk at check out that the young lady was so flustered that night and there was NO managerial staff to be found to handle it on the spot when it happend. So now I have a heavy bar tab and I am NOT a happy customer.

I write for several local Motorcycle publications and review and make recommendations for lodging etc. I will have to add this to my my NOT RECOMMENDED list until they figure out that you have enough staff available during Bike Week and large events with experienced staff members that are not intimidated by tattoo's and motorcycles.

One final additional observation and reasoning for the low rating points loss was not having the inside bar open during the days and nights of no riding due to heavy rains, I counted at a minimum 50 to 80 people sitting in chairs under awnings with no place to go accept one small under staffed tiki bar however, there is a fully stocked larger bar inside next to indoor pool that would have accommodated the larger crowd and more than covered the cost of staff salary with the revenue generated from food and beverage.

Low score for bad management the location is beautiful however, there are many locations in the area that offer the same views with better management and with most things in life perception is reality to the majority of consumers and my last impression was not a very good one.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank InTheWind60
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

Thank you for writing about your experience during Bike Week. We can understand how someone could make some of the points you brought up, however in our 60 year history, and being owned and operated by the same family for all 60 years, we have a wealth of data to call upon to make some of the decisions we make. Our 60 seat gazebo beach bar is routinely staffed with 5 employees (4 when raining), making it a ratio of 12 to 15 seats per waitress/bartender, which we do not think is under-staffing in any sense of the word. And although the beach bar is a very seasonal operation, we have been able to build an experienced crew of girls, most in their 3rd or 4th year with us, and only one girl starting her first year with us. The bartender you had is currently in her 3rd summer with us and is TIPS certified. Today I spoke with her and asked her if she remembered your party. Because it was one of our slower nights due to the weather, she instantly remembered your party of 6 adults and rattled off by memory most of what she served. The total bill came to $132.87, and you added a tip of $33.03 to the bill, totalling $166, and signed the slip to be added to your hotel bill. The next morning one of our front desk agents mentioned to me that you has disputed the amount of your bill. We located your signed slip and confirmed it was accurate. I am sorry but we do not negotiate at checkout the amounts of food & beverage bills with tips added and that are properly signed for by the registered guest. In regard to the folks who were sitting under the awnings up in the parking lot and drinking beer, believe me, if we could sell drinks to these people we would be doing so. They choose to sit in these areas of the parking lot near their motorcycles because the parking lot is considered an "unlicensed area" and they are permitted to drink their own beverages, almost like tail-gating at a professional sporting event. This would generally not be allowed, however we permit it to a certain extent only during Bike Week. We have opened our indoor bar many times in the past, but it does not make a difference. The indoor bar is far less popular than the beach bar, and when we do open it, it is not utilized as you would expect, and the bikers still sit outside in the tail-gating fashion. On the Wednesday of your stay, we did open our main lounge with an 18 piece big band, which was enjoyed by many locals. Again I am sorry if your experience here did not meet your expectations, however we continue to try our best and utilize the information and trends that we have observed over our 60 year history to always improve our products and services. Your review will also be read at this week's staff meeting to identify any areas of improvement. Thank you again.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Was my first time to Laconia and after doing some hotel research; decided to stay at the Margate Resort. Checked out the web page and everything looked very nice and booked on line, afterwards I checked out some of the reviews and was a little aprehensive about my stay...well I would just like to say that the Margate is everything you see on the web page...the staff extremely nice and helpfull...grounds and rooms immaculate and priced very reasonable. Would definately stay there again...now for a couple of suggestions...for bike week maybe put a couple of picnic tables and chairs in the center courtyard for bikers to congregate....oh and get that waffle machine going for the FREE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST....lol...thanks again for a great stay...R. Bulson N.J.

Room Tip: If I go again for bike week will ask for a ground floor room with courtyard entrance door right to t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post a 5-star review of our resort. Making a public statement such as this is very special to us because such a miniscule percentage of our satisfied customers actually take the time to thank us with an online review. Bike week is always one of the most challenging times of the year for us, but we are very thankful for the business, and we hope to continue to please our guests for years to come! We will also discuss your suggestions at our staff meeting next week. Thank you again for taking the time to thank us online!

Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband and I attened a beauitful wedding reception at this hotel.The flowers,food and the band were awsome.Except the ground and the dance floor ; we all had to walk and dance in at least one inch of rain water.Miss Renee said nobody got hurt...well I sliped while dancing and hurt my leg.To this day I am still in pain.I too would like to know who is responsible for the water removal. Because, I never saw any staff trying to assist us while we were sinking!

Room Tip: Don't know about the rooms but I wouldn't plan a wedding there
Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Thank you for posting another negative review in relation to the previous review about the wedding on the 1st weekend of June 2012. Although your review is referencing the same issue as the previous one, we respond to all reviews, and will respond in the same way. -- The weekend of your stay was a complete washout, with heavy rains producing up to 6" of rainfall in the area. Flood warnings were issued for the entire area. The Margate is in the business of renting event space for weddings, for which the wedding you attended had rented our lakeside West Lawn area. It is the responsibility of the clients to arrange for tent rental and all other accessories to be assembled on the lawn, for which we recommend a local party & tent vendor. Tent heaters were offered in advance, however they were declined by the client. With the amount of rainfall landing on top of the tent and running off the edges, the water had to go somewhere. With the ground completely saturated, the excess water naturally flowed wherever it could, some of it inside the tent. Even so, the amount of water was not disastrous to the wedding. You claim that you saw no staff members addressing the situation, however our experienced staff immediately worked to provide a solution to the problem. We used large 2' x 2' beautiful bluestone pavers to build stone walkways through areas where water was pooling (in roughly 5% to 10% of the area under the tent). The walkways we built were actually very elegant and natural looking, and looked like they were built there intentionally. Considering the forces of nature at work that night, we strongly believe that our hotel staff rose up and met the challenges presented to us, which is a mark of any great business. We were also disappointed that the weather forced us to cancel the bonfire and spectacular fireworks show that was planned for your wedding group. I hope that our lengthy response has adequately explained how we operate this resort, and although we know we cannot satisfy every single guest, the dedication of our staff will always prove to the majority of our guests that we are here to serve no matter if it is pouring rain...or snow...or sleet...or hail...or hurricanes.... Thank you again for posting.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I spent a long weekend at the Margate to attend a wedding reception. Unfortunately for everyone the weekend was a washout with a torrential downpour that hinderered most of the wedding festivites. Not sure if the Margate is responsible for the tents however who is should be completely ashamed at the turnout. Although the tents kept us mostly dry overhead, the ground was saturated to the point where women had to remove their shoes to walk back and forth. The weather was not a surprise to anyone, as it had been forcasted for days prior to the weekend, so with this knowledge and from what I assume is past experience, a floor should have been put down. Several poeple fell due to the soacked slick dance floor. The Margate is lucky no one got hurt.

The most disappointing thing for me, was that when I made the reservation, I thought I was staying on lakefront property. I have never been to Winnepesaukee before and was looking forward to the scenery. Unfortunately, I was given a room across the street in a building that looked more like a motel than a resort building. I had no idea when I made the reservation that the Inn Bulding was so separated from everything else. With everything being in the main building I was forced to go back and forth in the rain ad since I didn't have a car this was a major inconvenience for me. Very upset with the parking attendant who made friends of mine that I was riding with park across the street and walk over in the rain in their formal clothes because they were giving me a ride and I was staying across the street in the Inn building. Also important to note, cars behind us were allowed to park on site in event parking and they were not paying to stay at the Margate. Since when do wedding guests not staying at the Margate get better treatment than guests who are?

There are some good points -The room as very clean, the staff (besides the parking attendant) was very nice. Besides the tv, which was a dinosaur compared to the flat screen tv's of today, the ammentities in the room were acceptable. Unfortunately from my experience, I will never stay at the Margate again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you for posting a review, however besides the fact that we have not yet upgraded to flat screen TV's in our rooms (which is true), we respectfully disagree with the remainder of your review. The weekend of your stay was a complete washout, with heavy rains producing up to 6" of rainfall in the area. Flood warnings were issued for the entire area. The Margate is in the business of renting event space for weddings, for which the wedding you attended had rented our lakeside West Lawn area. It is the responsibility of the clients to arrange for tent rental and all other accessories to be assembled on the lawn, for which we recommend a local party & tent vendor. Tent heaters were offered in advance, however they were declined by the client. Your suggestion of installing a hard floor over the entire surface area under the 3000 sq ft tent, is a reasonable idea and well intentioned, but something like that would have cost the client over $6000 and would have had to be arranged in advance. With the amount of rainfall landing on top of the tent and running off the edges, the water had to go somewhere. With the ground completely saturated, the excess water naturally flowed wherever it could, some of it inside the tent. Even so, the amount of water was not disastrous to the wedding. Our experienced staff immediately worked to provide a solution to the problem. We used large 2' x 2' beautiful bluestone pavers to build stone walkways through areas where water was pooling (in roughly 5% to 10% of the area under the tent). The walkways we built were actually very elegant and natural looking, and looked like they were built there intentionally. Considering the forces of nature at work that night, we strongly believe that our hotel staff rose up and met the challenges presented to us, which is a mark of any great business. We were also disappointed that the weather forced us to cancel the bonfire and spectacular fireworks show that was planned for your wedding group. In regards to the location of your hotel room, I researched the situation and found that you had made the reservation online through our website. Rooms are not "given" to guests randomly. By making the reservation online you had access to the wealth of information on our website that clearly describes the Inn building as being across the street. A visual property map is also provided on the website. Our Inn building rooms are the lowest cost rooms precisely because of their inconvenient location to the rest of the hotel amenities. Most guests understand that the lack of convenience is what allows for a bit of savings on the hotel rate. On busy weekends like this one, when we have 3 weddings occurring simultaneously, we employ a parking lot attendant who protects the Lake and West building parking lots from non-overnight guests, wedding guests who may be staying at other hotels, and those Inn building guests who should be parking across the street in the Inn parking lot. It is only fair that if a Lake or West building guest pays a higher rate for their room to be on the lake side of the street, they should also be guaranteed a parking space on the lake side of the street. I hope that our lengthy response has adequately explained how we operate this resort, and although we know we cannot satisfy every single guest, the dedication of our staff will always prove to the majority of our guests that we are here to serve no matter if it is pouring rain...or snow...or sleet...or hail...or hurricanes.... Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have been travelling to bike week from Nova Scotia for the past 3 years, this will be the 4th. We have always stayed at the margate and it has become sort of a tradition. The staff have been very helpful and polite in our experience, rooms have been very clean and the breakfast has been decent. We look forward to bike week 2012 and the margate for many more years to come.

Room Tip: Book early for bike week
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for posting a review. We are glad that you enjoy our property and continue to come stay with us year after year. We look forwarding to seeing you next week and in the years to come!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

When booking a stay, I think it is best to know exactly what you are getting. I believe that this hotel may receive low ratings because the reviewers had much different expectations of their rooms based on the grounds of the hotel. The grounds are exceptional! The Lakefront property where I stayed had fabulous lake views. There is a sauna, Jacuzzi, large pool, beach bar in the summer and a spa on premises. It truly is wonderful and well-kept. The rooms, although they are clean and recently updated are not luxurious. If they were, then the hotel could certainly charge $350 or more per night for their rooms. As it stands, the rooms are reasonably priced for all of the amenities (including a well-equipped game room and nicely equipped work-out room) the hotel has to offer. The rooms are certainly adequate, but this is not the Ritz, ceramic tiles are used instead of stone; beds are firm, but have plenty of give; and linens are of average quality. Again, this is not stated to take away from the hotel. I loved my stay, and certainly plan to be a guest in the future. However, if you are looking for luxury, you may be disappointed. But if you are looking for a clean, renovated room, with amenities other hotels in the Meredith/Laconia area charge almost $400 a night for then you will love this place. If you are looking for a hotel the same amenities and opulent rooms, then be prepared to pay for it. This is a great hotel with wonderful customer service and I highly recommend it. I would also like to address some of the other reviews that almost caused me to steer clear of this establishment. Regarding the "smell" that supposedly overpowers you when you walk in the entrance, that is the chemicals from the pool that is right next to the front desk. I am glad I decided to pay attention to the more positive reviews and decided to write as detailed review so that future guests know exactly what to expect so that they can enjoy this wonderful little gem by the lake.

Room Tip: Stay in the Lakefront property as it has been recently renovated
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank WeekendGetawayJunkie

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We greatly appreciate your honesty and opinion of our property, and we believe that you hit the nail right on the head with your assessment of our resort. We continually strive to exceed the expectations of all our guests, without going too overboard with unnecessary opulence that would cause our rates to become too greatly elevated. We want everyone to be able to enjoy our beautiful lakeside atmosphere, which is why we offer tiered pricing for over 15 different room types throughout the resort. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We are proud of all we have to offer our guests. We also just updated the linens to beautiful 3-sheet duvet bedding systems in several of our buildings so hopefully you will stay with us again soon and enjoy our newly improved rooms!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Wolfeboro Inn
9 mi away
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton
Church Landing at Mill Falls
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to The Margate Resort? Share your experiences!