The Margate Resort
$133
Weirs Beach Motel and Cottages(Weirs Beach)(Great Value!)
$242
Travelocity
Bay Top Motel(Laconia)(Great Value!)
$205
Lazy E Motor Inn(Weirs Beach)(Great Value!)
$169
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford(Gilford)(Great Value!)
$249
$179
Steele Hill Resorts(Sanbornton)(Great Value!)
$159
Orbitz.com
$219
$199
$172
HIExpress.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbeach baracross the streetindoor poolmain buildingharry potterhot breakfastfamily suitelakeside buildingrainy dayfree continental breakfasthot tuboff seasonbagelsfood and drinkslake viewlounge chairshousekeeping staff
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband and I attened a beauitful wedding reception at this hotel.The flowers,food and the band were awsome.Except the ground and the dance floor ; we all had to walk and dance in at least one inch of rain water.Miss Renee said nobody got hurt...well I sliped while dancing and hurt my leg.To this day I am still in pain.I too would like to know who is responsible for the water removal. Because, I never saw any staff trying to assist us while we were sinking!

Room Tip: Don't know about the rooms but I wouldn't plan a wedding there
Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Thank you for posting another negative review in relation to the previous review about the wedding on the 1st weekend of June 2012. Although your review is referencing the same issue as the previous one, we respond to all reviews, and will respond in the same way. -- The weekend of your stay was a complete washout, with heavy rains producing up to 6" of rainfall in the area. Flood warnings were issued for the entire area. The Margate is in the business of renting event space for weddings, for which the wedding you attended had rented our lakeside West Lawn area. It is the responsibility of the clients to arrange for tent rental and all other accessories to be assembled on the lawn, for which we recommend a local party & tent vendor. Tent heaters were offered in advance, however they were declined by the client. With the amount of rainfall landing on top of the tent and running off the edges, the water had to go somewhere. With the ground completely saturated, the excess water naturally flowed wherever it could, some of it inside the tent. Even so, the amount of water was not disastrous to the wedding. You claim that you saw no staff members addressing the situation, however our experienced staff immediately worked to provide a solution to the problem. We used large 2' x 2' beautiful bluestone pavers to build stone walkways through areas where water was pooling (in roughly 5% to 10% of the area under the tent). The walkways we built were actually very elegant and natural looking, and looked like they were built there intentionally. Considering the forces of nature at work that night, we strongly believe that our hotel staff rose up and met the challenges presented to us, which is a mark of any great business. We were also disappointed that the weather forced us to cancel the bonfire and spectacular fireworks show that was planned for your wedding group. I hope that our lengthy response has adequately explained how we operate this resort, and although we know we cannot satisfy every single guest, the dedication of our staff will always prove to the majority of our guests that we are here to serve no matter if it is pouring rain...or snow...or sleet...or hail...or hurricanes.... Thank you again for posting.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I spent a long weekend at the Margate to attend a wedding reception. Unfortunately for everyone the weekend was a washout with a torrential downpour that hinderered most of the wedding festivites. Not sure if the Margate is responsible for the tents however who is should be completely ashamed at the turnout. Although the tents kept us mostly dry overhead, the ground was saturated to the point where women had to remove their shoes to walk back and forth. The weather was not a surprise to anyone, as it had been forcasted for days prior to the weekend, so with this knowledge and from what I assume is past experience, a floor should have been put down. Several poeple fell due to the soacked slick dance floor. The Margate is lucky no one got hurt.

The most disappointing thing for me, was that when I made the reservation, I thought I was staying on lakefront property. I have never been to Winnepesaukee before and was looking forward to the scenery. Unfortunately, I was given a room across the street in a building that looked more like a motel than a resort building. I had no idea when I made the reservation that the Inn Bulding was so separated from everything else. With everything being in the main building I was forced to go back and forth in the rain ad since I didn't have a car this was a major inconvenience for me. Very upset with the parking attendant who made friends of mine that I was riding with park across the street and walk over in the rain in their formal clothes because they were giving me a ride and I was staying across the street in the Inn building. Also important to note, cars behind us were allowed to park on site in event parking and they were not paying to stay at the Margate. Since when do wedding guests not staying at the Margate get better treatment than guests who are?

There are some good points -The room as very clean, the staff (besides the parking attendant) was very nice. Besides the tv, which was a dinosaur compared to the flat screen tv's of today, the ammentities in the room were acceptable. Unfortunately from my experience, I will never stay at the Margate again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you for posting a review, however besides the fact that we have not yet upgraded to flat screen TV's in our rooms (which is true), we respectfully disagree with the remainder of your review. The weekend of your stay was a complete washout, with heavy rains producing up to 6" of rainfall in the area. Flood warnings were issued for the entire area. The Margate is in the business of renting event space for weddings, for which the wedding you attended had rented our lakeside West Lawn area. It is the responsibility of the clients to arrange for tent rental and all other accessories to be assembled on the lawn, for which we recommend a local party & tent vendor. Tent heaters were offered in advance, however they were declined by the client. Your suggestion of installing a hard floor over the entire surface area under the 3000 sq ft tent, is a reasonable idea and well intentioned, but something like that would have cost the client over $6000 and would have had to be arranged in advance. With the amount of rainfall landing on top of the tent and running off the edges, the water had to go somewhere. With the ground completely saturated, the excess water naturally flowed wherever it could, some of it inside the tent. Even so, the amount of water was not disastrous to the wedding. Our experienced staff immediately worked to provide a solution to the problem. We used large 2' x 2' beautiful bluestone pavers to build stone walkways through areas where water was pooling (in roughly 5% to 10% of the area under the tent). The walkways we built were actually very elegant and natural looking, and looked like they were built there intentionally. Considering the forces of nature at work that night, we strongly believe that our hotel staff rose up and met the challenges presented to us, which is a mark of any great business. We were also disappointed that the weather forced us to cancel the bonfire and spectacular fireworks show that was planned for your wedding group. In regards to the location of your hotel room, I researched the situation and found that you had made the reservation online through our website. Rooms are not "given" to guests randomly. By making the reservation online you had access to the wealth of information on our website that clearly describes the Inn building as being across the street. A visual property map is also provided on the website. Our Inn building rooms are the lowest cost rooms precisely because of their inconvenient location to the rest of the hotel amenities. Most guests understand that the lack of convenience is what allows for a bit of savings on the hotel rate. On busy weekends like this one, when we have 3 weddings occurring simultaneously, we employ a parking lot attendant who protects the Lake and West building parking lots from non-overnight guests, wedding guests who may be staying at other hotels, and those Inn building guests who should be parking across the street in the Inn parking lot. It is only fair that if a Lake or West building guest pays a higher rate for their room to be on the lake side of the street, they should also be guaranteed a parking space on the lake side of the street. I hope that our lengthy response has adequately explained how we operate this resort, and although we know we cannot satisfy every single guest, the dedication of our staff will always prove to the majority of our guests that we are here to serve no matter if it is pouring rain...or snow...or sleet...or hail...or hurricanes.... Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have been travelling to bike week from Nova Scotia for the past 3 years, this will be the 4th. We have always stayed at the margate and it has become sort of a tradition. The staff have been very helpful and polite in our experience, rooms have been very clean and the breakfast has been decent. We look forward to bike week 2012 and the margate for many more years to come.

Room Tip: Book early for bike week
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for posting a review. We are glad that you enjoy our property and continue to come stay with us year after year. We look forwarding to seeing you next week and in the years to come!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

When booking a stay, I think it is best to know exactly what you are getting. I believe that this hotel may receive low ratings because the reviewers had much different expectations of their rooms based on the grounds of the hotel. The grounds are exceptional! The Lakefront property where I stayed had fabulous lake views. There is a sauna, Jacuzzi, large pool, beach bar in the summer and a spa on premises. It truly is wonderful and well-kept. The rooms, although they are clean and recently updated are not luxurious. If they were, then the hotel could certainly charge $350 or more per night for their rooms. As it stands, the rooms are reasonably priced for all of the amenities (including a well-equipped game room and nicely equipped work-out room) the hotel has to offer. The rooms are certainly adequate, but this is not the Ritz, ceramic tiles are used instead of stone; beds are firm, but have plenty of give; and linens are of average quality. Again, this is not stated to take away from the hotel. I loved my stay, and certainly plan to be a guest in the future. However, if you are looking for luxury, you may be disappointed. But if you are looking for a clean, renovated room, with amenities other hotels in the Meredith/Laconia area charge almost $400 a night for then you will love this place. If you are looking for a hotel the same amenities and opulent rooms, then be prepared to pay for it. This is a great hotel with wonderful customer service and I highly recommend it. I would also like to address some of the other reviews that almost caused me to steer clear of this establishment. Regarding the "smell" that supposedly overpowers you when you walk in the entrance, that is the chemicals from the pool that is right next to the front desk. I am glad I decided to pay attention to the more positive reviews and decided to write as detailed review so that future guests know exactly what to expect so that they can enjoy this wonderful little gem by the lake.

Room Tip: Stay in the Lakefront property as it has been recently renovated
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank WeekendGetawayJunkie

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We greatly appreciate your honesty and opinion of our property, and we believe that you hit the nail right on the head with your assessment of our resort. We continually strive to exceed the expectations of all our guests, without going too overboard with unnecessary opulence that would cause our rates to become too greatly elevated. We want everyone to be able to enjoy our beautiful lakeside atmosphere, which is why we offer tiered pricing for over 15 different room types throughout the resort. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We are proud of all we have to offer our guests. We also just updated the linens to beautiful 3-sheet duvet bedding systems in several of our buildings so hopefully you will stay with us again soon and enjoy our newly improved rooms!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Well, we went here for a little "honeymoon" June of last year and honestly, I was a little disappointed. I KNOW I shouldn't have booked a room for Motorcycle Week, so that wasn't their fault that it was full of Motorcycle People, but the pool was cold, and the gym...the gym was sub-par. They need to improve upon these areas. To their credit, I will say that they allowed us to cancel our last night and not charge us for it. The free breakfast was good, and it was nice they had a computer with internet in the lounge.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathleen_R517
margate76, General Manager at The Margate Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Thank you for your review. You are correct in stating that a typical vacationer will have a totally different perception about our property, and most other properties in the area when visiting during Bike Week in June. Bike Week is an annual city-wide event that has taken place for an entire week mid-June for the past 90 years. During this week long event, the entire area is flooded with hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists who come to Laconia to enjoy the area and the motorcycle rally in Weirs Beach. Hotels in the area have significantly elevated rates during this time, and for a typical vacationer, the elevated rates may not match the kind of experience they are expecting to have. We advise anyone traveling into the Laconia area in June to make sure they are aware of the Motorcycle Rally Week that always ends on Fathers Day weekend. In response to some of your other comments, our indoor pool is kept at a steady 84 degrees, and our whirpool is kept at 104 degrees. These temperatures are checked twice per day. We agree that our workout room is on the smaller side, but it still contains a stairstepper, two treadmills, two exercise bikes, a multi-weight station, and a set of Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells. We feel this equipment is sufficient for a casual workout. Thank you again for your post, and we hope you will give us another try perhaps during the summer when you may enjoy our beach and other outdoor amenities. Thank you again.