“Don't stay anywhere else!”
Review of The Naswa Resort

The Naswa Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Providence, Rhode Island
“Don't stay anywhere else!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

While I have used TripAdvisor many times and actually found the NASWA through their site I had never been pleasantly surprised enough by a hotel or resort to actually rate them - all that changed with our stay at the NASWA! Having traveled NH before I know that most resorts can be a little run down and website pictures outdated even if they are well maintained but not the NASWA, it was immaculate and exactly as pictured on their website. Sarah was great to deal with prior to booking, explaining the rooms and deposit process, and even nicer meeting her in person upon check in. Our room was a bit small but very clean and well appointed (mini-fridge, coffee pot, flat screen tv) with a wonderful view of the bay from our private deck. A short trip down a flight of stairs brought us right to the beach which was neat and clean with chairs and umbrellas set up for guest use. We went to the NazBar for dinner (great drinks, good food) and Blue Bistro for breakfast the next morning (delicious pancakes and complimentary mimosas) with polite, friendly service at both places despite what some other reviews here say. Since I based my reservation on these reviews I felt it was only fair to return the favor and tell you that if you're debating where to stay on Lake Winni the NASWA is your best bet!!

Room Tip: The aquavista beachfront rooms are well worth it - both for the view and the ease of walking down to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Naswa, Owner at The Naswa Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thanks for reviewing the NASWA Resort on Trip Advisor. Reviews really help others to plan their time away from home. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the NASWA Resort and all that is offered. My family and our staff do our best to make sure our guests have a wonderful visit to the Lakes Region. Hope to see you again at the NASWA!

Owner
NASWA Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Took the family here for a few days of R&R. Growing up my parents would take me to the area, so some 30 years later I wanted to do the same for mine. We got one of the rooms with a full kitchen. As soon as we walked in it was like being a kid again. In a good way. The room had "that feel", but not in a "oh god this place is old" feel. It was nice. Comforting. And best of all, it was clean. The beds were a tad bit small, but firm enough. We got a view of the water, and it was great sitting on the front porch in the morning, drinking coffee. Full kitchen with everything you need. Couch. TV for the kids and free wi-fi.

The beach area was nice enough. Only thing that was odd was the sand didn't actually go into the water. The beach was stopped by a small wall. I can only assume it's there to stop erosion. The NASWA bar and grill offered up a full array of drinks and bar food. A little pricey but convenient and right on the beach. We did find that the sign at the entrance advertised drink specials but when we ordered them we weren't charged a "drink special" price. Oh, and lots of ducks to watch.

The Blue Bistro located in the main building is a gem. The food was absolutely delicious. Again, a little pricey, but damn good food. I recommend the calamari.

The NASWA is also conveniently located near Weirs Beach. Bringing kids? Weirs Beach has go-carts and a large arcade. Parents, you'll get nostalgic seeing all the old fashion arcade games. Plus bowling and a bar.

The only problem we found with this place, was the road noise. Our room was only 30' or so from rt3 (the main road) and we heard all the big rigs (and motorcycles).

All in all though, an enjoyable stay and I recommend it.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Naswa, Owner at The Naswa Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed review which helps other travelers make their vacationing decisions. My family has operated the NASWA for 78 years. Our old lakefront charm is important to our guests. The NazBar is a fun place for food and drinks. During the fall the NazBar is open Thursday - Sunday weather permitting. On Sundays we feature our Burgers n' Brew special for $7 which includes a $5 Angus Burger and $2 domestic draft. The Blue Bistro is open for dinner at 5 pm Thursday - Sunday and breakfast on Saturday and Sunday during the fall. Calamari is one of our specialities and we are glad to hear it is a favorite of yours. Thanks again for your kind words. It is our pleasure.

Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We arrived to our 2 bedroom cottage with another couple for a weeks stay. The cottage was clean, but tiny, the kitchen so old we were afraid to turn the stove on. The bathroom (off the tiny living room) was so small when one of us took a shower, he could not raise his arms to wash his hair. The bathroom door was 3 boards nailed together with a hook and eye closing. The air conditioners were old, falling out of the windows and noisy. The porch had 4 old wobbly plastic chairs. We were right behind the kitchen for the downstairs bar and grill. The only thing we got on the porch was the fumes from the ejector right outside. There was not even room for 4 adults to sit in the living room/dining room. It had a sofa and a wooden table with chairs. Period. The beds were about the worse we have ever slept on. I had called ahead a time to ask if that unit was right behind the bar as the pictures show and was told no, the pictures were from bike week and the tents come down afterwards, not true in our case. We complained and were moved to a 3 bedroom motel unit on the opposite side of the street, at an additional charge. It was clean, old and decrepit. One toilet only flushed about a quarter of the time. The kitchen sinks smelled. The dishwasher door was broken and slammed onto the floor almost breaking my husbands foot. One bedroom and one bath had lots of ugly mold growing on the ceiling. The coffee pot has the previous renters moldy grinds in it. The food in the restaurant was very good and the staff was very well trained and pleasant. However, don't stay overnight.

Room Tip: there is no good room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Naswa, Owner at The Naswa Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
It is disheartening whenever a guest is disappointed. The NASWA celebrated it's 78th birthday this season and is a third generation family operated resort. Each year rooms, suites and cottages are updated. Refurbishment of the rooms and buildings is ongoing and an endless project. The Suite these folks stayed in is slated for refurbishment this winter. This being said, the suite should have been clean and in good working order during their stay. We have apologized to this guest and invited them to return for a complimentary stay.

Owner
Haverhill, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I just got back from the Naswa Resort and all I can say is Awesome! From the time we checked in to the time we checked out(unfortunately we had to go home). We arrived early the day we got there and our room was not available since check in is at 3pm and we got there at 11 lol, but they took my cell number and called as soon as they had my room ready which was still a couple hours earlier then 3pm so we were able to start vacation right away..The room we got was a terrace room with 2 doubles, room was a great size very comfortable and decorated nicely..the most important thing in the room was that it was immaculate no dust no stains bathroom looked brand new and the shower had fantastic shower head with great water pressure. Housekeeping came in everyday and really cleaned and fresh towels.
The staff was very friendly and helpful, I enjoyed the fact that they had waitstaff on the beach were you could order food and beverage and have it served right at the lounge chair. The NazBar has a great menu and a kids menu with great drink and food specials daily..
Down on the beach they have free use of Kayaks and Peddleboats, the hotel also has a beautiful boat cruise they offer Its just about 45 minutes to an hour but so so nice Captain Dennis was very knowledgeable about the lake during the cruise, Its a free cruise the Captain does take a tip if offered, it doesnt go everyday and doe not hold alot of people I think may about 10 to 12 people but was so nice.
I have to say that the "crew" was constantly cleaning something from cleaning spiderwebs off signs down at the dock (which if you stay at hotel and have a boat you dock for FREE) iI even watched one clean each and every leaf on a Fake tree. They were always washing windows or vacumming or raking the beach but no matter how busy they took a minute to say hello and have a nice day.
Naswa is close to lots of other attractions but honestly being 2 adults on vacation with no kids there was not alot of reason to leave the Naswa when they had everything we could possibly need.
I cant say enough how awesome this place was from room to food and service. We have only been home a day and we have already called to check on a room for September or October. We also checked out a cabin for a week next summer to actually bring the kids because my kids deserve the BEST. I have been a travel consultant for years and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a fantastic hotel at a great price.

Room Tip: ask for beach front worth the extra money when it comes to sunset
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cilla2424
Naswa, Owner at The Naswa Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us this summer and intend to join us again this fall! The Lakes Region is alot of fun during fall foliage with a variety of beautiful colors defining the shoreline. Area restaurants and attractions remain open but are less crowded. Please make your reservations early for the 2014 summer season. Our reservation lines are open year round.

Leland, North Carolina
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We recently stayed at the Naswa Resort while in town for the Winnipesaukee Antique Boat Show just up the road in Meredith NH. Whenever traveling the country with an Antique boat in tow there are always potential issues: where to park the boat, where to park the trailer, negotiating parking lots and small spaces. Cynthia (the owner), Patty (GM) and the security folks, and maintenance people couldn't have been more understanding and helpful. A place at their dock, a spot on the employees parking lot for the trailer, and later the trailer and boat combo, etc. They also allowed us to store the boat with them for a few days so we didn't have to take the boat with us while we visited Maine following the show.
The room we had was certainly nice enough. One issue was no king beds. The view from our room which was in a building "across" the street was great. Especially the magnificent sunset. The restaurant was very good and discounts were offered for guests of the hotel. Cell service and internet were a little "iffy" but overall workable. "People" really do go further than just the accommodations, so overall, it would be a pleasure to stay with them again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Naswa, Owner at The Naswa Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thanks for staying with us for the Antique Boat Show just down the road a few miles in Meredith. The NASWA has long been known as a Boater's Paradise -- offering guest's with boats complimentary dock space and trailer parking. It was our pleasure to store you boat for a couple of days while you toured Maine.

We have a limited amount of rooms with King size beds. Please be sure to request a King room for your next stay.

Ogunquit, Maine
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Not a bad stay, am a hotel owner myself, and enjoy sampling other providers when I can manage a trip away! Hotel is a bit dated, but very nice location, the restaurant food was average, but location, location, location! Really enjoyed the bar area, swimming with my daughter in the lake and fishing off the dock. The hotel can use some updating across the entire property, can't we all, but they did a good job of keeping it clean and as presentable as possible! Am blessed myself with a very energetic and enthusiastic front desk staff and was really put off by the attitude of what appered to be the supervisor / owner of the property and her less than helpful demeanor. Perhaps she has lost the joy of helping others-it does happen, but seemed offended when I inquired as to why my room hadn't been cleaned at 4:15 on one day, and was quick to point out that check ins/arrivals are their priority-Hmmmm-My priority would be all my guests, especially my stay overs!
A pleasant experience overall, would return based on cleanliness, location and family friendly amenities!

Room Tip: Lakeview rooms would be the choice but a lot of extra money considering you spend most of your time...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Naswa, Owner at The Naswa Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thanks for the critique of your recent visit to the NASWA. It is unfortunate that we did not have the opportunity to meet since you are a fellow innkeeper. We pride ourselves on exceptional guest service and were dissappointed to hear that you felt someone at the front desk had lost their joy of helping others. As Owner of the NASWA, all of our guests and their experiences while staying or dining with us are of the utmost importance to my family and our staff.

Check in is 3 pm for the rooms and 4 pm for the suites and cottages. While our housekeeping staff does their best to have all rooms ready by check in occasionally a room will not be ready on time because it is not cleaned to our high standards. Guests are welcome to enjoy our facilities and amenities while waiting for their rooms and their cell phone number is called as soon as the room is available.

We hope to see you at the NASWA again. Please introduce yourself on your next visit.

Killingworth, Connecticut, USA
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I recently had a great time at the NASWA resort and certainly will return. As far as the hotel personel and housekeeping, they were excellent. However, there are two key points that I need to make for future travelers that have to do with the facility itself. We stayed in a one room studio equipped with a full kitchen. The first issue I had is that the place is lit up like a Christmas tree at night, and there is no way for guests to turn off their porch lights. The shades in the room were not sufficient enough to block out the light. The lights were turned off automatically by the resort between the hours of midnight and 2:30AM. It varied each night. If the resort is not going to give guests the choice of turning off the outside lighting, they should install blackout curtains and shades. We had to hang towels over the windows in order to fall asleep. The other issue I had is that the oven door could not be opened because it came in contact with the knob on the cabinete by the sink (the kitchens are very compact). My husband had to shimmy the oven out of place so that it was usable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Naswa, Owner at The Naswa Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay. Because of your comments we intend to take a closer look at our outdoor lighting once the NASWA closes for the season and will determine what may be done to make our guests more comfortable in the evenings. Evening lighting is for safety and security reasons but we do not want to sacrifice our guests' comfort. Your concern with the oven has been addressed and resolved. Thanks again for your valuable input. It helps to make us better!

NASWA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
The Margate Resort
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
Grand View Motel and Cottages
Grand View Motel and Cottages
#2 of 5 in Weirs Beach

Been to The Naswa Resort? Share your experiences!