“Waterfront, Affordable and Comfortable”
Review of The Naswa Resort

The Naswa Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Laconia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

If you want an affordable, comfortable, waterfront location at Lake Winnipesaukee, this is it! There are several lodging options available at the resort, ranging from cabins right at the edge of the lake to efficiency suites and motel rooms with great views. A big benefit is the on-site indoor restaurant with views,or the "feet in the sand" bar and restaurant that is under a canopy for warmer days. The location is fantastic -- close to Weir's Beach, but away from the honky tonk and noise. You can dock your boat or jet ski and enjoy the music in the summertime. The family that runs it is so hospitable you'll feel like you know them when you leave. You can't beat the service or the value!

Room Tip: Ask the hotel for recommendations for rooms and locations to suit your needs. There can be noise fr...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 23, 2012

What I absolutely loved was that we could dock our boat on the Naswa docks while we stayed here! The staff was friendly and helpful. Their customer service is wonderful. The restaurant was a little pricey but the food was superb! There are many conveniences and other attractions very close by. We will definitely be going back next year! My only heads up is that if you do book here and dock your boat when it's not super busy, the ducks take over the docks and are extremely messy. I also hope they update the beds in the cabin we stayed in. For the kids to complain that they didn't sleep means they are really bad!

Room Tip: If you are allergic to animals, tell them when you book. Some of the cabins are pet friendly!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband, son and I were joined by our friends for a great extended weekend. For anyone looking for a place they can bring their own boat and enjoy full dock priveledges on Lake Winnepesauki look no further. The NASWA is a family owned business that may have dated accomodations but they more than make up for it in cleanliness and hospitality. For 99 per night and a 2 night minimum we more than enjoyed a room with a balcony overlooking the lake on Sunday & Monday night. The staff is always visible sweeping sand from the walkways, raking the beachfront and primping the property..ready to serve but never in your way. They offer a beach bar with a full run of pub food, mixed drinks and beer. If you want a sit down dinner they offer that as well in their restaurant. Prices are reasonable for a hotel but there are plenty of other dining options in the area if you want to pay more or less for something different. Although the rooms are dated they are kept very clean and well maintained. Quite possibly the best shower I have ever had.

Room Tip: The beach front rooms offer a great view of the lake and are nice place to have a morning cup of tea...
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We (myself and two kids 7 & 10) stayed at the Naswa last week for two nights. We stayed in the motel section of the resort and really liked it. We typically stay in units with kitchens but since we were only going to be there for 2 nights I decided on the motel. It was a little dated, but VERY clean, probably the cleanest motel I have been in. And the thing I loved about it is that it's right on the the beach.

This is probably the closest you are going to get to a "caribbean" feel in NH. They have a beach grill/bar with waitresses that serve you right in your beach chair. The food was good, maybe a little on the pricey side, but we enjoyed everything we ate. Kids eat for free with paying adult in the restaurant (not on the beach). We ate breakfast there both mornings and it was excellent.

The Naswa has peddle boats and kayaks for their guests to use at no cost. This was a huge hit with my kids. The swimming area is not very deep, which my kids were a little bummed at, but it's great for families with young kids.

The staff at this resort is wonderful. They are attentive and helpful at every turn. We even had the maintenance crew holding doors for us. We will definitely go back. I told the kids this is going to be our annual getaway from now on.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

On the morning following a local celebration , my wife and I were whisked by car by our daughter from Brunswick, Maine to a surprise destination. We had been forewarned to pack just about everything you can imagine to go "somewhere", including passports. After 2 1/2 hours of driving southwest and west across Maine, we arrived at Lake Winnipesaukee, N. H. And after passing through Meredith and Weirs Beach, we saw the Welcome sign in front of NASWA saying, "Happy 60th Wedding Anniversary to Chuck and Sally". And then we saw a few familiar faces that began an additional 3 day anniversary celebration. Over the next 24 hours a total of 25 family and extended family members arrived "from away"! My daughter's coordination was superb and the resort was most accommodating for the entire period of our stay. Meals in the dining room were excellent as were those in the Beach bar where younger people's musical entertainment was also usually present. The rooms were excellent too, many with balcony and lake view. I believe just under 100 rooms are available, some across the street in a separate building. Prominently displayed in the front desk reception area I noted a State Proclamation presented by the governor that recognized the 75th anniversary of NASWA 's noteworthy contributions to the state of New Hampshire and the Lake Winnipesaukee region in 2010. NASWA stands for "Natural Spring Water", named after a spring that existed at the higher elevation of the resort in its early days. Boats can be rented nearby, lake day and evening dinner cruises with music and dancing aboard the steamer Mt. Washington, excellent beach swimming on the resort property with sunbathing beachchairs, et al. A wonderful place to spend a few days relaxing and enjoying the beauty of the 72 square miles of Lake Winnipesaukee. We will never forget this memorable experience!!!

Room Tip: Second deck room with balcony overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee, away from the evening noises of the Be...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My wife & I, our kids, my sister and her kids recently returned to the Naswa Resort located on the shores of beautiful Lake Winnipesaukee after a very long hiatus of nearly 35 years. It was incredible reliving the great family vacations of our youth. LIke a time-warp back to a more innocent and pure period, the facilities and charm of the place, the Lake and surroundings have not changed much at all. The Naswa Resort is truly one of a kind. Founded in 1935, it has been family owned and operated by the Makris family - now in their fourth generation - and it retains the same genuinely warm, friendly and very comfortable feel, I remember so vividly from my childhood.

My family - parents, grand parents, aunts, uncles and cousins have been vacationing at the Naswa Resort since the 1950s. Growing up in the 1970s, my sister and I loved our vacation traditions at Naswa on Lake Winnipesaukee - it was a real family affair as we shared adjoining cabins with aunts, uncles and cousins - swimming & boating on the lake by day and campfires at night. Peter and Hope Makris became friends with my grand parents and parents - they treated us like family and we returned year after year until our college years.
We recently returned to the Naswa Resort and it was very special for us. My sister and I were surprised at how little has changed - the great cabins at Naswa now painted in fun colors are essentially the same. Just as my Mom used to do, I sat early each morning on my front porch with a hot cup of coffee watching the sun come up and the lake come alive for the day. Lake Winnipesaukee remains pristine over these many years. The whole experience is wonderful for sharing timeless and pure family experiences.

Naswa Resort owns prime real estate. The resort sits perfectly on a channel which connects Paugus Bay to the larger lake - the largest in New Hamphire. Lake Winniepesaukee is amazingly clean with easy visibility down 20 feet. Naswa's many cottages and hotel rooms are right on the beach with many amenities for swimming, kayaking, boating, docking and fishing, The beach facilities are divided in two with an extensive dock extending out into the channel in the middle. One side is great for families with lawn chairs, picnic tables, adirondack chairs and a fire pit for relaxing fun evenings. The other side is comprised of the beach front NazBar and Grille with live music most days or nights. Both are pretty separate, so if you want quiet family time on the beach as we did, you will not be disappointed. The staff are incredibly kind, friendly and very accomodating. Although we did not eat at it, the Blue Bistro restaurant at the resort is suppose to be very good. People we met on the beach said both the NazBar & Grille and Blue Bistro were excellent. Also, Naswa is within walking distance to the Wiers Beach - where there is a small water park, amusement center, ice cream & candy shops, access to the Mt Washington cruise ship around the lake or the old time railroad along the shores of the lake. Naswa Resort boasts a luxurious 38ft yacht with twin turbo 750hp engines for scenic cruising of the lake - at no additional expense to your stay. Peter Makris, second generation owner who passed away in 2007, was a big outdoorsman and boater. I have great childhood memories of him at the helm of his boat with his trademark cigar and scotch & water, entertaining the passengers with jokes, stories and facts about the lake. There is a nice picture of him on his boat in the main lobby. The lobby has become an interesting memorial to the history of the Naswa Resort - full of pictures of the original 1935 cabins, a large ariel photo from 1964 (as I remember it) to a more recent photo with the multi colored cabins and NazBar on the beach. There are great family photos of Peter & Hope Makris with their daughters Karen, Cynthia and Victoria. It's a unique place full of a proud family history of hospitality and community service to town of Laconia and the larger lake community.

A highlight of our visit was a reconnection with Cynthia and Victoria, Peter & Hope's daughters who now operate the Naswa Resort - representing the third generation of the Makris family. Victoria, who manages the grounds and facilities, was so kind to us. We were singularly thrilled to meet Victoria's young daughter - who now represents the fourth generation of the Makris family! This coincided with our kids, who represent the fourth generation of our family of vacationers of the Naswa Resort! We talked and laughed - sharing a remarkable experience and unique bond.

Our stay at Naswa was remarkable and we've already booked our adjoining cabins for next summer! As my son said, in recognition of the historical significance, "Best vacation ever!" Thank you Victoria, Cynthia, Karen, Peter and Hope Makris and all your predecessors for establishing the Naswa Resort and for keeping the tradition alive and well for generations of families to enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Cabins on the south side of the dock are best for families. Cabins on the north side of the dock ar...
1  Thank Fran R
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I travel a fair amount, particularly in the last few years. Only once - in West Glacier, MT, in 1995 - have I felt more overcharged for a room. The NASWA charges well over $300/night for a "two-bedroom" cottage that has 1 roughly 6000 btu window A/C unit, a small TV, very small bathroom, and very, very dated furnishings. Between the other units proximity, the foot traffic by your window, and the noise/music from the beach bar, you can forget going to bed early.

2  Thank Matthew F
Naswa, Owner at The Naswa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

We are terribly sorry you were disappointed with the NASWA Resort. We call ourselves a Classic N.H. Boutique Resort. Our Cottages are quant lakestyle. You may call them outdated. We offer our houseguests free kayaks and paddleboats. Also a free one hour guided ride around Lake Winnipesaukee on the SS NASWA, 34ft Sea Ray. We also offer our house guests free mimosas at breakfast and 15% off dinner in the Blue Bistro and kids always Stay and Eat Free. The NASWA has Camp Naz for Kids which includes a campfire with s'mores complimentary and Tie-Dye for a nominal fee. We try to offer a value added vacation for families. We apologize to you if we did not live up to your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laconia
12 mi away
#5 of 5 in Weirs Beach
Grand View Motel and Cottages
Grand View Motel and Cottages
#1 of 5 in Weirs Beach

Been to The Naswa Resort? Share your experiences!