“Is age discrimination possible....”

Twenty One Bar & Grill
Ranked #33 of 98 Restaurants in Keene
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Many of my women friends and I have gone to 21 for several years, due to the fact that the drinks and appetizers are great. The barkeeper, Jamie, treated us with good humor and respect. The nice thing about having gray hair is that young men are very gallant. However, Jamie was replaced a couple of years or so ago, with a young woman (4:00 barkeeper). From this point on, when I have gone there, I usually come home "spitting nickels"! She has rolled her eyes at us and has been generally unfriendly. On a frigid winter evening, we (myself and two other women) were sitting towards the back, close to the bar. There was a small opened window, when we asked if she would close it as cold air was blowing onto us, she refused. Her unpleasantness has lead our group of women to take our business to the Stage on Central Square. The waitresses and bartender are very accommodating and make a point of good, friendly service. By the way, we are excellent tippers, so that can't be the case.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Bar 21 is a small neighborhood bar in Keene NH that has excellent food, great prices and a friendly atmosphere. They have specials most nights from 4 to 6 during Happy Hour. Last night my husband and I went and had 2 drinks each and 4 appetizers (which was WAY too much food for the two of us! I had a small salad which wasn't all that small and we each had chicken wrapped in bacon and 'loaded waffle fries'. Remember these were appetizers and we had to bring home half of the fries and half of the chicken! We will know to order less next time. We've also had their entrees and lunch (in summer they have a back deck) and the food is always really good. The only bad thing about 21 is that it is noisy. This is a drawback for us because my husband has a hearing problem but it is social, friendly with good drinks and food for reasonable prices. Last night cost us $32! We met nice people on both sides of us to talk to as well.

1  Thank dfuller
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is the first bar I went to when I moved to Keene 5 years ago, and I've loved it ever since! Great martinis and tapas, relaxed atmosphere, and usually a better crowd than the "dive" bars. Pat is an awesome bartender!

1  Thank Mandy T
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Went with some friends to 21 to have drinks and appetizers. The food was ok but the portions seemed small. The fried artichoke appetizer only had 4 artichokes. The smoke from the smokers outside came right into the restaurant and was gross. The service was fine until close to the end when the server came to see of our check was all set 5 times. Each time we said not yet. You need to wait until we leave or put it on the edge of the table or we hand it to you. Nothing fabulous.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had not been in "21" yet, so when I went with some friends, I did not have many expectations. I am not a drinker, but the prices seemed really high! The food was ok bar-ish food. I hope they don't try to sell themselves as a restaurant. The atmosphere was ok, it kind of smelled. The high tables with stools are ok but not really good for a party of more than 4.