“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Keene
Michigan
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I've stayed at Holiday Inn Express Hotels before and have always been satisfied. This one was no different. The beds are great, (no skanky bedspreads) and the room was clean. The free breakfast had a lot to offer including bacon and eggs. I do wish they had exhaust fans in the bathrooms and perhaps some better attention to the small area of peeling paint. I had no problem getting wireless for my laptop and the free use of the business center was great as I needed to check-in online and print out my boarding pass for my flight. Overall I wish the price was cheaper but when the selections are limited in a small town you have no choice. I'd definitely stay there again.

1 Thank Marin50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
US
Reviewed June 6, 2009

The hotel is terribly constructed. The walls and floors are unbelievably thin... the floor above us squeaks loudly, like a herd of elephants, when the customers above us walk normally on their carpeted floors. We can hear all the activity in the halls and front lobby. The plumbing can be easily and loudly heard throughout our room whenever anyone flushes or runs the shower above us as well. There's NO WAY we can sleep and will be finding a different hotel in either Keene or a nearby city.

It's a real shame... the front desk has been very kind and gracious. The location of the hotel itself is really great. And Keene is such a great town. But if you can't sleep in your hotel -- and you can't here at the Holiday Inn Express @ Keene -- then the rest of the time you're here will be groggy and grumpy.

If you must sleep here, bring sleeping pills to knock you out, ear plugs, and a noise machine of some kind to drown out everything else.

• Stayed June 2009
hiexpresskeene, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Keene, responded to this review, July 31, 2009
I understand your concerns. If you are extra sensitive to noise overhead, please request a second floor room. We also have ear plugs available for sale in our 24 mini-mart; but I will be happy to give them to any guest who needs them due to excessive noise overhead.
There is no excuse for the noise, but I believe this specific guest stayed on a weekend when we had a baseball tournament in town. This is not the norm. We are typically a nice, quiet family oriented hotel.
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2009

The parking lot was manageable and the front desk staff were terrific. The room was excellent. The broadband was fine; the bathroom was top notch; my bed was very comfortable; the heater worked well.

Several restaurants were nearby including a very good Pizzeria Uno.

I'll definitely go back on my next trip to Keene or Peterborough.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 22, 2009

A colleague and I were there for a business trip for approx. 2 weeks. We originally made a reservation at Best Western but the local management recommended the Holiday Inn so we switched the 2nd night...

Overall, I am disappointed. The bathroom and the vanity is small and the equipment in the fitness center is very old (compared to Best Western).

I had a reservation for 2 nights and after the first night, the hotel gave me a bill indicating I am checking out that morning. When I called to inquire the Front Desk, the rep was not the most helpful.

Nevertheless, the rate is cheap and the noise level is acceptable.

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
hiexpresskeene, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Keene, responded to this review, May 18, 2009
We appreciate your honest remarks and criticism. The billing issue and perception of poor service is inexcusable and it not the way complaints are normally handled. As for the facilities, we are constantly upgrading different areas of the hotel to make our guests more comfortable. We have new equipment ordered and will be on site within the month!
Oil City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 19, 2009

We've stayed in every hotel in Keene (except EF Lane - too pricey!) and the Holiday Inn Express is the best. Not sure what that says for Keene, but we were pleased with the hotel.

Front desk staff was friendly & professional -- booked the room through Priceline.com (price was the only factor - taking my stepdaughter back to college and needed a bed for the night) at only $45/night. The grounds were well kept and plowed -- major snowstorm on the day we arrived. The walkways and parking lots were kept clear all weekend in spite of non-stop snow.

The lobby was clean and spacious -- breakfast area was large. Our room was very clean (there was even a sign under the bed that said "yes, we clean here, too"!!). The carpets were clean, linens were very clean and comfortable, the bathroom was spotless. Definitely one of the cleanest hotel rooms we've ever been in.

The pool / spa area was clean, but small. We sat in the hot tub and it was good (not great, but it was made out of cement). The pool was clean, the water was clear, but there weren't enough towels in the pool area. I did like having a shower & rest rooms right in the pool area.

Breakfast was good and plentiful. We went down 30 minutes before breakfast ended and the attendant was still making sure everything was fully stocked. It was a better-than-continental breakfast -- pastries, english muffins, toast, french toast, waffles, biscuits, scrambled egg sandwich patties, yogurt, plenty of very good coffee, teas, hot chocolate, milk.

There was a small store next to the front desk with snacks, meals, toiletries, drinks -- convenience store stuff. A little more pricier than 7-11, but way more convenient ($1.75 for a 20 ounce Pepsi, for example).

Not sure I'd actually pay the rack rate -- when we go to Keene, we're only looking for a clean bed. We usually stay at Motel 6 in Brattleboro, but that's usually about $50 a night -- and is 15 miles away from Keene.

Overal, great value at the price we paid -- I actually feel like we got a pretty good deal.

• Liked — The cost and amenities, plus breakfast!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Stayed one night in late July while visiting friends in Keene. Top floor room at the end of the hall --#235. Two double beds.

Pros: The hotel is in good condition and is relatively clean and our room was comfortable. The included breakfast buffet was well-stocked and although there was a feeding frenzy of other guests, the staff managed to keep the food coming.

The walls are thin, as others have mentioned, but we didn't have problems at night--only in the morning did we hear other guests running off to get their cinnamon buns on the free buffet.

Cons: The bathroom floor wasn't as spotless as I would have liked, but the toilet and tub were perfectly clean--it was minor and my partner didn't even notice. I was probably being extra picky since the rate was $140!!! Granted, we did get $25 cash back as part of their manager's special (gas card promo), but this is Keene--not a major metropolis! Oh well--there aren't many other choices in the area, so I think that's how they get away with it. (We payed more here per night than we did at a high-end boutique hotel in D.C.)

• Liked — It was clean and the hotel seemed new.
  • Disliked — Overpriced for small town in New Hampshire.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Snow Country, Utah
Reviewed June 18, 2008

New hotel, very clean, but not great with the sound proofing.
I had a room with a door into the adjacent room and my neighbor had I Love Lucy interrupting my late afternoon nap.
I requested another room. Had to give up a King bed and a great internet connection, but at least they were willing to change it for me.
Since there's no Marriot nearby, I will probably stay there next time I'm in Keene.

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene
Best Western Plus Keene Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brattleboro
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Holiday Inn Express Keene? Share your experiences!