“Mixed Experience”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Keene
Bridgewater, New Hampshire
“Mixed Experience”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I recent stayed here for five nights. I was pleasantly greeted and the room was comfortably furnished. The television in my room was not working properly, very dark picture. The first morning i asked to have it replaced or fixed. When I returned that evening nothing had been done. I asked again the second morning and when I returned that evening it had been replaced. You shouldn't have to ask two days in a row for a tv that worked. I was gone all day each day so could not keep on the staff on this nor should I have to.

Separately, I dropped something behind the night stand so had to pull it out to retrieve the item. Behind the night stand was filthy with spilled food I hope, and a long accumulation of dust? Lets say it looked like raisins or similar and general filth.. It had clearly not been cleaned/vacuumed in months if not more. I left a note for the cleaning person to vacuum behind the stand which I left pulled out which she did. By the way I had tipped the cleaning person daily as I normally do. I did not dare to check behind the other night stand.

Breakfast was good and pleasant. The evening staff was pleasant and had cookies made. If not for the lack of responsiveness on the television and the filth behind the night stand. It had been untouched a mighty long time, I would say it was good value. IF I stay again I will move all the furniture out in the room to check for cleaning. However all in all it was a disappointment for needless reasons. This is a management problem. Someone does not care enough.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
James P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Keene, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear 235KenB,

Thank you for your review. I am very delighted to hear that your experience during check-in as well as your room presentation were pleasent. I am however, disappointed to hear the challanges that you faced while you stayed with us in regards to your television and cleanliness behind the nightstand. You can be rest assured that I will be following up with my staff with these matters. We take great pride with our excellent guest satisfaction reviews and when we have a review that is anything less, we make sure that the problem is handled appropriately. If you have any additional comments or concerns you can reach me at jprentiss@colwenhotels.com or 603-352-7616. We hope to have the opportunity to have you back with us again.

James Prentiss, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed March 9, 2014

While taking a trip to Syracuse New York my family and I Stayed here. The rooms were very clean and spacious and the hotel was in excellent condition. I attend college in Durham and accidenteft my ID at the hotel. The manager was so kind to contact the school and inform them that I had lost my ID and sent it in the mail to them. I didn't just get my ID in the envelope but it was wrapped in a kind letter from Amy the Office Manager. This hotel is absolutely one I would stay at again because they know how to treat their guests well.

• Stayed March 2014
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Keene, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the 5-star review on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your visit and that we were able to recover your ID for you. We're happy to help! Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Keene.

Yours in hospitality,
Saranac Lake, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

My family and I stay here a few times a year. (our eldest daughter attends school nearby)

While all of our visits have been pleasant - clean room, nice pool, great breakfast - our visit this past weekend was an example of exemplary customer service.

Our youngest daughter became ill during the night. The staff let us stay in our room until late afternoon, giving our daughter time to rest and recover before beginning a 4.5 hour car ride back home.

No additional fees, no hassle, just "how can we help."

What an example of compassion, empathy and kindness.

Kudos!

Stayed March 2014
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Keene, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for your repeat patronage of our hotel and for the 5-star review of your most recent visit. I'm happy to hear that our staff helped to make a difficult situation a little easier for you and your family. Our number one priority is to make you feel at home when you stay with us and to make sure your needs are met. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to hosting your next visit to Keene.

Rville
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This hotel was not only very clean and comfortable but the entire staff at the location was very helpful and friendly. The breakfast provided at this location by Judy was FABULOUS.... good fresh hot food, great selection and a very clean seating area despite it being so busy. She is one fantastic lady to keep the breakfast cooked, filled and the area cleaned! I would definitely use this hotel again and would recommend it to others. The location is on a dead-end road, thus there really is little to no traffic or noise. Rooms were clean and comfortable. WIFI worked fantastic.

Room Tip: Hotel is two floors. We were on 2nd floor and had no noise issues or elevator waiting time issues a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Keene, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Connie,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review your experience. I'm happy to hear that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable and our staff to be friendly and helpful. I will pass your compliments along to the staff (especially Judy) and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Keene.

Best,
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed here with my 16 year old daughter on from Feb. 27 to Feb 28. We came from out of state for my daughter to interview at a nearby boarding high school. In the morning, my daughter was getting ready to for us to leave for her interview and trying to make herself look her best. She has very long hair and was blow drying it with a too-thin round brush and "emergency" ensued when her hair became hopelessly tangled in knots around the brush. It seemed hopeless and I was going to have to cut her hair short to remove the brush and it would be a disaster, right before her interview. I went to the front desk and explained the situation and asked if I could borrow a scissor. The AMAZING woman working at the desk offered to help untangle the brush from my daughter's hair before having me resort to cutting the brush out and chopping off my daughter's hair, and she then came back to the room with me and spent a LONG time very carefully doing the tedious job of separating each hair from the brush and carefully snipping off parts of the brush. Eventually the problem was solved as the brush was removed and my daughter's long hair spared. This SAVED THE DAY and perhaps saved my daughter's future by allowing her to attend the interview on time and composed. Likewise all other staff we ran into in this hotel were incredibly nice and looking to do whatever they could to make the stay enjoyable. The room was clean and the value good in general, but totally INVALUABLE for the help we received in our situation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 978LisaC
James P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Keene, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear 978LisaC,

Thank you for sharing about your stay with us. I am very happy to hear how well the staff treated you during your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Keene. I did hear about the situation that Amy, from our front desk, was able to assist you with. I'm glad that everything worked out well and the interview went smooth! I will be sharing your review with all of our staff on property. Amy wanted me to share with you that, "she was glad she was able to help and save the day"! Hope to see you again the next time you visit the area.

James Prentiss
northeast
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed here for one night this past weekend. What a pleasant surprise! The staff was super friendly/helpful, the rooms were clean and roomy enough for 4 of us (2 adults/2 children), and despite the hotel being pretty full, the room was quiet . The pool, while small, was big enough to be fun for the kids. Breakfast in the morning was the biggest surprise - the food was hot, tasty and there was a wide variety. The desk clerk even offered to get food direct from packages for one of my children, who has food allergies, since the food is served buffet style. We would definitely stay here again. Great value for the price.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Keene, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. I'm happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your first stay at our hotel and that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to hosting your next visit.

Yours in hospitality,
Portland, Maine
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This hotel has been renovated since my last stay. -- It was clean and pleasant.
I have attached a photo of the rug in a corner of my room. As you can see, it is vacuumed and clean. I stay in so many hotel rooms where there is grime in the room corners or in the hallways where the rug meets the wall. This hotel was well maintained.
There were a few "cons:"
I unfortunately had a faulty heating system in my room. I could not read the screen on the wall monitor and the heat clanked. This was a big bummer.
Also, the internet was running slowly during my stay.
The exercise machines were old - one was rickety ... maybe those will be next in the round of renovations.
There were plenty of "pros" though and it was evident that the staff in this hotel are conscientious and working hard to run a good business.
The cleanliness alone showed great attention to detail.
There was plenty of towels and wash cloths.
The bed was relatively comfortable.
Also, good water pressure and hot water.
The parking lot was well lit and felt safe.
The location was good.
The front desk staff were pleasant.
There was an employee named Chyna who was busy, busy, busy taking care of everyone's needs. She should be commended. She was pleasant and professional and was running her butt off all night.
The hotel decor was nice ... I would stay here again.
: -)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
James P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Keene, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Eulalia_3,

Thank you for you review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you stay was a positive one and take all feedback very seriously. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire staff on property. I will also review with our maintenance team the short falls that you experienced with us in regards to the in-room heating and internet speed. We hope to see you again at the Holiday Inn Express Keene the next time you visit the area!

James Prentiss
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene
Best Western Plus Keene Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brattleboro
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Holiday Inn Express Keene? Share your experiences!