“Great Stay”

Holiday Inn Express Keene
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Keene
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just returned from a weekend stay in Keene for the annual Pumpkin Festival and had a great stay at the Holiday Inn Express.
We arrived 9PM on Friday night and were warmly greeted with free pumpkins and a carving station along with coffee, hot cocoa and cookies.
On Saturday, they provided a free shuttle to the festival, which was super with over 25,000 lit jack o’lanterns spread throughout the quaint downtown making for a stunning view.
The room was super clean and recently renovated with great beds, a big flat screen, microwave, frig, coffee machine and plenty of room for a family of four.
The free breakfast was great with fresh baked muffins/bagels, eggs, sausage, cereal and other goodies and on Sunday, they set up a free omelet station with two employees serving up excellent omelets with a huge choice of fillings.
The heated pool was small, but very clean and the Jacuzzi was also very nice.
We already have plans to make the festival a annual event and will be definitely staying again at the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We travel to Keene several times a year to see family and we always stay at this hotel. While it does not measure up to the newer Holiday Inn Expresses, it is clean, the staff is helpful, but not what I would call friendly, and the breakfast area is well stocked but a bit short on seating for the size of the hotel. Overall, probably one of the best choices in town for the price. You can find better accomodations at the Marriott if you want to pay the price...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This HIE is a good location to stay while visiting Keene. Just next door to a great TJ Maxx store if you need a few things. Close to the quaint downtown Central Square, which shouldn't be missed. We found the hotel staff very friendly and helpful once we got inside. Parking lot was awkward and small, but everything else was a hit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Upon checking in we noticed a few differences and later learned the hotel had been taken over by new management. Thank goodness Judy is still there doing breakfast. She is so efficient and friendly. I travel a lot and no one keeps a breakfast spread like Judy. Always looks fresh and as if no one has been there yet. This hotel will do well to keep her. The cleaning staff is pretty good as well. It's an older facilty, but very neat and clean. One thing I would recommend is changing the mattresses. They are too soft for my liking. Also, when checking in with my wife we were handed one bottle of water since I am a priority club member. Suggest you forget the water or give us two so as not to make my wife feel like some lessor being.

Room Tip: Tip: Ask for second floor and you won't hear anyone walking above you.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express was like new inside. Exterior just okay. Personnel and room were excellent. Nice large flat screen tv. Pool is small, but hot tub was hot and powerful. Downtown area and college is about a mile away. Be sure to visit the many great restaurants downtown. Would stay here if I ever come back to Keene. Compare various rates offered to get the best deal.

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing the main road.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was my first time to Keene and I only wish I t wasn't there on business and could have stayed longer. The hotel is nicely located. The evening was cool so I enjoyed a nice walk in the evening to the grocery in the strip mile nearby. I had work to do and found everything about the room to be great for both relaxing and getting work accomplished.

Room Tip: An upper floor near in the back of the building is the best.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I needed a room to attend a wedding near Keene, NH. We checked into local bed and breakfasts and discovered that they were full. We thought it was do to the "leaf peeping" season, so we tried the chain hotels and many were booked, so we reserved this hotel. After arriving I discovered the real problem. A NASCAR race was scheduled the same weekend.

The hotel is not easy to find, so if you go make sure your GPS shows its location or follow other directions.

The room was quite nice with a king bed and small sofa. Microwave, refrigerator and a wide screen tv were appreciated. The sink was plugged with what appeared to be tobacco, and I was about to call maintenance when my wife dug at it with a pen and unplugged it. Just as she did we got a knock on the door from housekeeping (ESP?). We told her of the problem, but it appeared to be fixed. A short time later we got a call from the front desk asking if everything was in order. This may have been generated by our talk to the housekeeping employee or just a courtesy call.

The breakfast was also nice with a number of hot items not usually found in other hotels (hot gravy, scrambled eggs, even a machine that made pancakes).

So what is my beef? It was just too expensive for this type of hotel in this area. Frankly speaking I would not spend $166 if I was not backed in a corner because of this wedding. I know that local events affect room prices, and frankly if the local Best Western or Days Inn were also charging these prices I would seek lodging out of town.

When I was checking out I told the front desk person about the tobacco in the sink experience and also that the tv remote needed batteries, and she apologize and seemed concerned about my minor inconvenience. She said that because my room was prepaid she could not give me a discount (I did not ask for one!), but she sad she would add some extra points to my Holiday Inn rewards program. I thought that was a nice touch and added to the experience.

Room Tip: My son booked a room with two double beds and it did not have a sofa. If you would like a sofa you...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene
Best Western Plus Keene Hotel
#1 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
#2 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Holiday Inn Express Keene? Share your experiences!