“Unclear on the concept”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This restaurant has quite good food, amateurish but enthusiastic service and a lack of understanding of their target market. It is the most expensive restaurant in the area but lacks finesse. It also does not accept Amex cards, probably a foolish, fatal mistake as its primary target market must surely be visiting and local business people. Too bad.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I was a little nervous going here considering some recent reviews. As soon as we walked in we were greeted warmly and offered our choice of seats although it was fairly busy for a Sunday evening. I had the burrata and my husband had the mussels for appetizers, both were delicious. Our entrees were very good as well although my cod was slightly over salted but still enjoyable.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Been to Nicola's almost a dozen times. The last few times it has been mediocre at best. Place is on the expensive side and one would expect better for the money. Have had chicken parm and veal parm........extremely overdone. Disappointed in the direction the restaurant is going

2  Thank DRhodesNewEngland
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Too busy and understaffed. Many people (including us) were complainig about their food taking too long to be served. After waiting over 45 minutes for our dinners to be served it was average at best.

2  Thank Smarkow314
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We ate here for my husband's birthday. We started off with the calamari which was average. I ordered a couple of appetizers instead of a main course. The scallops with the arugula salad was decent. There was no wow factor here. I also ordered another special, a pork and porcini risotto. It was bland. Nothing popped in this dish. It wasn't creamy or flavorful. I brought half of it home to see how I could improve on it. My husband ordered a seafood pasta rosa which was decent. It was tasty and a clear winner at our table. It had plenty of scallops and shrimp.
If our waitress had inquired about our dishes, I would have sent the risotto back. Our waitress started ou strong, but the service fell off from there. We waited 20 minutes for gelato, once they figured out what flavors were actually available. I wouldn't rush back here. If I were to return, I would steer clear of the specials which just were not that special.

2  Thank xatobunny