“Great Keene Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Keene
Walpole, Massachusetts
“Great Keene Hotel”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Beautiful boutique hotel set in a quaint town. Staff was friendly, room was beautiful and very quiet. They have a managers reception at 6 which was very nice. Also a continental breakfast which was typical but also ver nice. They have a restaurant next door which had great food and good atmosphere. I will definitely return to the Lane hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We recently stayed at the Lane Hotel and after checking in went up to our first room. I say first room because there was such a strange foul odor to the room that we decided to ask for a different one. Also the first room appeared to be cleaned very hastily with large bits of dirt on the floor and the bed seemed to be sloppily put together. To be honest it looked like someone else checked out the room and then left as well. We went downstairs and requested another room. The front desk staff was very polite and friendly and since there were no other king rooms available, offered to move us to a suite. Sounds great.... unfortunately suites are in the basement. Now...if the suite had been clean and not in the basement I would be incredibly impressed....unfortunately this was the case. First off since it is in the basement the windows are at low sidewalk level. While it is a side street with very little foot traffic it is still somewhat uncomfortable to know that anyone walking by can peer right in the window. The blinds being down make this much more difficult but not impossible. Second was the cleanliness.... there was something that appeared to be dry oatmeal...yes pieces of oats and such, all over the floor of our room. There was dark hair on the bathroom floor as well as in the shower. The door to the room as well as several spots in the bathroom were deeply marred through the paint leaving exposed wood. The entire base molding around the floor of the bathroom looks like it hasn't been cleaned in a very long time and had very visible dirt and spilled materials on it that looked like fruit punch.... at least I hope it was fruit punch. While the tub appeared dirty my girlfriend really wanted to use the whirlpool tub so she decided to clean it herself.... well after running a washcloth around the tub once and seeing the color of the washcloth change to dark brown she quickly abandoned that dream. It honestly appears that this room is used for parties. Also we must have had the same room as a previous reviewer since the light on the far side on our bed didn't work either no matter what combination of light switches or outlets we used. All this is not to say that hotel is without merit. There is a social hour from 6pm-7pm which includes two free drinks which was very nice and is run by the same gentleman that was running the front desk. The parking is a little inconvenient since its the second story of a parking garage not attached to the hotel but in a town where all parking is metered it is nice to have free parking included and if you're doing things around town there really isn't a need to use a car. Overall we were disappointed with the Lane. It has the potential to be a five star rated hotel if some real supervision were applied to the cleaning and maintenance staff. Perhaps if the management took the time to walk through the rooms as a guest would and make the appropriate corrections there would be fewer negative reviews. For a hotel that is this nice in outward appearance to be the 3rd or 4th out of 6 hotels in a small town is sad. Again I'd like to point out that the front desk staff was very helpful and polite and did what they could to make our stay enjoyable. Also if you are staying on the second or third floor as we almost did I would suggest a room facing the street since the room we originally checked into had a stunning view of the roof and a/c units.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Danville, Virginia
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at the Lane for 4 nights. We had a two floor suite. It was just wonderful. The two story brick wall and window were beautiful. There were so many great shops and restaurants right outside the doors of this restored hotel. It is my favorite place that I have stayed in. The staff was so friendly, helpful and efficient. I'd love to go back again and again.

Room Tip: The two story suite is quite a treat. You get two bathrooms too.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Westwood, New Jersey
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Large room with attracrive furnishings. It was a nice surprise to have 2 complimentary glasses of wine before we left for dinner. Breakfast was ok..cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
GeneralManagerAB, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Kateb,

Thank you so much for the review, I am glad you enjoyed your accommodations and attractive furnishings. I am also glad to hear that you took advantage of our nightly reception, where we serve complimentary drinks in our lobby-lounge, overlooking Main St. We hope to see you soon.

Area General Manager.
Roosevelt, New York, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2012

First off, I'd like to say that the hotel and the amenities are phenomenal. The ambiance and the presentation are great, and the rooms are very comfortable and inviting. I honestly cannot say enough about the hotel itself. The concierge staff is also very commendable, as they made our stay very enjoyable.

Now, the crux of my review and the reason for the 1 star rating is because unfortunately, the money out of my wallet was stolen by a member of the cleaning crew. I know this for a fact because I left my wallet in the room while we went down for the complimentary breakfast (about 15 to 20 minutes) and when I returned the room was cleaned and the wallet was empty, with a note on the nightstand imploring us to "enjoy our stay" signed by housekeeping. How can we enjoy our stay after I was robbed??!?

I filed a complaint with the hotel, put in a police report, and left a very negative comment card. What was supposed to be an awesome weekend at the Pumpkin Fest 2012, was marred by an unprofessional and unethical member of the Lane Hotel Staff. While I am thankful to the hotel for providing me some compensation for this incident, the fact remains that a thief works for the hotel and who is to say that this won't happen to another guest?

So for all future guests, please guard your stuff and don't let yourself become a victim!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gio M
Dear Gio M

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you found the hotel and amenities to be phenomenal; however I am shocked regarding your claim that property was stolen during your stay. We have a very strict screening process at the hotel, that includes a criminal back-ground check of ALL employees and we take our guests security & comfort extremely seriously. At this time we are working with the authorities, however neither their investigation or our own internal investigation has provided any evidence to suggest that anything was taken from your room by a member of staff.

Area General Manager
Tabernacle, New Jersey
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had a horrible experience with the manager, Tracey, and the general manager. I had pre-paid for the pumpkin fest but experienced a family tragedy. I called five different times and was promised a call back every time but never got one. I left several messages for the manager Tracey and even talked to the general manager and explained my very painful situation. He said he would consider a refund (as another employee had told me they consider offering refunds depending on the reason why). He promised me a call back to tell me his decision but I never heard from them again but was charged for a room we couldn't use on a weekend that I'm sure they could re-book it. Will never stay here and would not recommend based on how they handled my situation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Liz S
Dear Liz S,
I apologize that you had a negative experience dealing with the Lane hotel. We do pride ourselves on exceptional customer service and I am sorry you do not feel that you received this. As you noted, your reservation was an ‘advance purchase’ reservation for a special event, where cancellations and changes are not permitted. While I do understand your request, I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate this. The pumpkin fest is a very busy time for us and we therefore have to impose these restrictions on reservations during that time. I did speak with Ms. Shemchuk and she assures me that she did try on several occasions to reach out to you and explain this situation. I do understand your frustration, but do hope you will reconsider staying with us in the future and that we will be allowed an opportunity to deliver the level of exceptional service you would expect.

Area General Manager
Keene, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We have just finished a stay at the Lane Hotel and were a bit disappointed. The room was very spacious and clean and had no complaints there. But, since it is located in town, we experienced lots of traffic noise and police sirens many, many times in the night. The doors in the hallway are very loud when closed to each room which we heard too often. The staff was very nice and helpful though. Not sure we would go again, the parking was not convenient at all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Diana J,

Thank you for your review, I am glad you liked your room, that you found everything to be clean and the staff to be helpful. I am sorry that your stay was marred somewhat by the noise of downtown. We did upgrade many of the windows in the hotel to help with outside noise, but I do understand your situation. While many of our guests love overlooking Main St. and everything going on, we certainly understand that other guests would rather have a room further away from the Main St.; We will always do our best to accommodate any request for such. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again and we will do our very best to find you a room away from Main. St.

Area General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene
Courtyard Keene Downtown
Best Western Plus Keene Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Keene
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
#1 of 10 in Brattleboro
Chesterfield Inn
Chesterfield Inn
#1 of 2 in West Chesterfield

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown? Share your experiences!