“***PROPERTY STOLEN BY A STAFF MEMBER***”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Keene
Reviewed October 22, 2012

First off, I'd like to say that the hotel and the amenities are phenomenal. The ambiance and the presentation are great, and the rooms are very comfortable and inviting. I honestly cannot say enough about the hotel itself. The concierge staff is also very commendable, as they made our stay very enjoyable.

Now, the crux of my review and the reason for the 1 star rating is because unfortunately, the money out of my wallet was stolen by a member of the cleaning crew. I know this for a fact because I left my wallet in the room while we went down for the complimentary breakfast (about 15 to 20 minutes) and when I returned the room was cleaned and the wallet was empty, with a note on the nightstand imploring us to "enjoy our stay" signed by housekeeping. How can we enjoy our stay after I was robbed??!?

I filed a complaint with the hotel, put in a police report, and left a very negative comment card. What was supposed to be an awesome weekend at the Pumpkin Fest 2012, was marred by an unprofessional and unethical member of the Lane Hotel Staff. While I am thankful to the hotel for providing me some compensation for this incident, the fact remains that a thief works for the hotel and who is to say that this won't happen to another guest?

So for all future guests, please guard your stuff and don't let yourself become a victim!

1  Thank Gio M
GeneralManagerAB, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Gio M

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you found the hotel and amenities to be phenomenal; however I am shocked regarding your claim that property was stolen during your stay. We have a very strict screening process at the hotel, that includes a criminal back-ground check of ALL employees and we take our guests security & comfort extremely seriously. At this time we are working with the authorities, however neither their investigation or our own internal investigation has provided any evidence to suggest that anything was taken from your room by a member of staff.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had a horrible experience with the manager, Tracey, and the general manager. I had pre-paid for the pumpkin fest but experienced a family tragedy. I called five different times and was promised a call back every time but never got one. I left several messages for the manager Tracey and even talked to the general manager and explained my very painful situation. He said he would consider a refund (as another employee had told me they consider offering refunds depending on the reason why). He promised me a call back to tell me his decision but I never heard from them again but was charged for a room we couldn't use on a weekend that I'm sure they could re-book it. Will never stay here and would not recommend based on how they handled my situation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Liz S

Dear Liz S,
I apologize that you had a negative experience dealing with the Lane hotel. We do pride ourselves on exceptional customer service and I am sorry you do not feel that you received this. As you noted, your reservation was an ‘advance purchase’ reservation for a special event, where cancellations and changes are not permitted. While I do understand your request, I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate this. The pumpkin fest is a very busy time for us and we therefore have to impose these restrictions on reservations during that time. I did speak with Ms. Shemchuk and she assures me that she did try on several occasions to reach out to you and explain this situation. I do understand your frustration, but do hope you will reconsider staying with us in the future and that we will be allowed an opportunity to deliver the level of exceptional service you would expect.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We have just finished a stay at the Lane Hotel and were a bit disappointed. The room was very spacious and clean and had no complaints there. But, since it is located in town, we experienced lots of traffic noise and police sirens many, many times in the night. The doors in the hallway are very loud when closed to each room which we heard too often. The staff was very nice and helpful though. Not sure we would go again, the parking was not convenient at all.

Dear Diana J,

Thank you for your review, I am glad you liked your room, that you found everything to be clean and the staff to be helpful. I am sorry that your stay was marred somewhat by the noise of downtown. We did upgrade many of the windows in the hotel to help with outside noise, but I do understand your situation. While many of our guests love overlooking Main St. and everything going on, we certainly understand that other guests would rather have a room further away from the Main St.; We will always do our best to accommodate any request for such. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again and we will do our very best to find you a room away from Main. St.

Area General Manager.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Lane is a boutique hotel that we found to be immaculate with a clean, sophisticated ambiance. Staff very polished, helpful, and professional. So, why not excellent? Well, a few things.
(1) Wife thought that a shower cap for the ladies should be an automatic part of bath items not a matter of calling down to the desk on a Sunday evening.
(2) Combination heater/air conditioner simply did not work Chilly all night. No instructions on the unit and settings of 73+ simply did nothing. Management says repair man working on the units.
(3) One lamp wouldn't light. Thought bulb was out. No, replacement didn't help. Maybe switch with another lamp that did work. No, that wasn't it. Finally traced problem to a defective lower outlet of a duplex. Unusual occurence. Why didn't anyone else ever mention this? Management says they will make note of the problem.
(4) Finally, the Lane does mention that parking is in a garage behind the hotel. What is not said is that the garage is a block behind the hotel with a flight of concrete steps (no elevator) that must be managed. This is not a hotel for the disabled since hallways are narrow and there are occasional interior steps.
If you are agile, on a honeymoon or special trip then the Lane is a wonderful place considering its charming location. But, be careful if you are elderly or otherwise physically challenged.

Room Tip: Pack lightly. Rooms are a distance from your vehicle.
2  Thank Old_Tyme_Farmer

Dear Old_Tyme_Farmer,

Thank you for your review, first I am very happy to hear that you found the hotel to be immaculate, clean, with a sophisticated ambiance….. just what we love to hear. I am sorry you could not give us an ‘excellent rating’ and I appreciate your feedback in regards to areas that we could improve. Ultimately our goal is to continue improving and valuable feedback such as yours is always welcome. As far as our parking is concerned, I do understand that this is a short walk from the back of the property and that access to the upper deck is not the most convenient. At the same time I feel we are lucky to have our own dedicated parking while being located in the heart of downtown and we are always more than happy to offer assistance to anyone who may need some extra help. Again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Can't say enough about this hotel. Immaculate rooms, great location for walking through the village and to restaurants, shops. Rooms have been recently renovated and are roomy and comfortable, beds and pillow great! We were in a corner room on the 3rd floor and it was roomy and bright. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you don't want street noise, ask for a room off the main street side.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Srobins12

Thank you so much for the rave review! We very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Just stayed the weekend and loved the hotel. Was in Keene for the C Demar Marathon (which I also loved). Wife and I were in an upstairs king, interior view (requested a quiet room, which it was - hotel faces the main street in town, which is very cute, but might have been noisy on a Sat. night before the race, and I had to wake up at 5 a.m.). Standard size. Comfortable bed. AC not amazing but functional. Good bath. Staff was excellent - Tucker even called his sister hotel and brought me a driving map of the area when I asked for directions. Other ?s quickly answered. Nice continental breakfast. Great location. Eat at Luccas - 1 block away.

Room Tip: Wife saw the brick walled high ceilinged rooms downstairs - would have been nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Bill Berenson,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review and announcing us as "THE place to stay". I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your weekend stay with us and the C Demar Marathon. I am also delighted to hear that you found the staff to be excellent, I believe we have assembled a great team here! I do hope that if you are ever in the area again you will choose to stay with us and I will make sure we get you a room with the redbrick!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Wonderful, modern hotel alternative to the box hotels near the highway. I loved the location, step right down the sunny stairs and you are in center of the lovely town of Keene. Rooms were all recently renovated. Staff was helpful and friendly. Gave my stay a local at home feel but with privacy and convenience of hotel ammenities. I stayed in a basement suite, very spacious and not a lot of hotel noise; however, it is in center of town, so the lower level does get some street noise, but that is expected. I'd try an upstairs room as well. Complimentary drinks in the nice lobby starting at 6pm.

Room Tip: Corner basement suite roomy.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene
Courtyard Keene Downtown
Chesterfield Inn
#1 of 2 in West Chesterfield
15 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown? Share your experiences!