“Marriott's Keene winner” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Keene
Chatham, Massachusetts
“Marriott's Keene winner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

Budget hotels are usually just off an Interstate exit or in a mall and that makes walking for exercise or for slow sightseeing difficult if not impossible. Keene may have New Hampshire's prettiest Main Street so the location of this Courtyard just far enough off the main drag to be peaceful and quiet but close enough to stroll to is a big plus. It's in the middle of an old industrial area that's been cleaned up and repurposed. The rooms are better and bigger than you would expect at this price. The bed, small fridge and generously sized desk are all a cut above other chains that cater to business travelers looking for value. The breakfast room and lounge is pricey but comfortable and convenient. We used the workout room and found it well equipped and clean - a must - but there was only one floor mat; surely Marriott can do better than that.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south and looking over the parking lot as ours did, are probably a little quieter than...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bethdad
GeneralManagerAB, General Manager at Courtyard Keene Downtown, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear Bethdad,
Thank you so much for the review and great feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and your visit to Keene NH; it really is a great 'downtown' area. Also, as a direct consequence of your feedback, I ordered additional work-out mats today! (I hope you will be able to return soon and see for yourself). We truly appreciate all feedback as it helps us continuously improve.
Alex Bates

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
North Adams, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

This new hotel offers a pristine (and Green!) option for staying right off Main Street. The rooms are large, with good layouts (executive style). The cafe is run by Starbucks, and the offerings are limited and pricey. But, you are close to so much - go out and enjoy the town!

The only thing I really didn't like about this property is a pet peeve of mine - I booked the room and paid in advance. While everything was in MY name, the hotel staff allowed my boyfriend, who arrived ahead of me, to check into the room without me. Now, while I appreciate his comfort, it didn't make me feel very secure - and when I arrived, nobody asked to see my license for verification. Isn't this an industry standard? .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerAB, General Manager at Courtyard Keene Downtown, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Dear JessOnTheRoad,

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciate you 'communicating with me off line' regarding your stay. I am pleased you found the hotel to be pristine and 'green'; the hotel was just recently designated LEED certified as part of our commitment to the environment and our continued contributions in this regard.
I did look into the comment about your boyfriend checking into the room before you and unfortunately was not able to find out much, since so much time has elapsed since your stay in April. As you mention it is common practice for hotels to check ID's at check-in and this is certainly something we enforce here. I apologize that I could not find out more on the matter, but assure you I did review with all of our front desk team to reiterate the importance of this. Again, thank you for the feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again if you are ever in the area.
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

Our 6 yr olds enjoyed the very small indoor pool and the fact they could eat cereal next to it. Mom and dad enjoyed the complimentary coffee in the morning and the clean room. The workout facility also looked nice, although we did not use it. Don't bother with the breakfast package; breakfast is a la carte- not a buffet. The AAA rate was the best value for us. There were no cookies in the evening, there was free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Happy_twin_family,

Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear that your family enjoyed their stay with us, getting a chance to take advantage of the pool and the complimentary coffee. You are correct that we normally do not offer a buffet breakfast here; this is part of Marriott's new initiative and part of their "Refreshed" package. After lots of carefully analysis, it was determined that guests preferred to order food from a menu, rather than choose from a buffet and is expected to be implemented in all Marriott Courtyards by the end of this year. This package also includes the "Starbucks" component, which we offer 24 hours a day in our lobby. The overall intent at breakfast is to offer a wider variety of items to appeal to more guests, so you can have a full breakfast, grab a quick breakfast sandwich to go, or choose a lighter/healthier option, like a yogurt parfait.
I do like your idea of offering cookies in the evening and will certainly look into implementing this in the near future. Again, thank your for the feedback.
Middlebury, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed at this hotel one night on a trip to Connecticut because it cost much less than equivalent hotels along I-91 in Vermont and northern Massachusetts. Keene is a little out of the way of I-91, but it was interesting to see the home of Keene State and to view the active downtown area along Main Street. As for the hotel, it was quiet, the beds were comfortable and the room was clean. Staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful. Parking is about 200 feet from the building.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear BikersMom,
First of all, thank you for your review. I am glad you took the extra time to drive out of your way and visit us in Keene. As I have mentioned before Keene really is a fun, vibrant downtown and there is always something going on. I am pleased you found the hotel quiet, comfortable and clean and the staff to be friendly and helpful (I am very proud of the team we have here in Keene). I certainly hope that if you are ever making the trek down I-91, that you will consider staying with us again.
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

This hotel was GREAT! Everything is brand new...so nice! Loved it, could have stayed here for a week with the family!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Aquav,

Wow! what can I say? We wish you could have stayed for a week also! I do hope that maybe some time soon you can visit us again. Thanks for the fantastic review and happy travels!

Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

Myself and 7 girlfriends stayed here, we reserved 2 rooms. Upon arrival at 2:30pm only 1 room was ready. Check in is 3pm and they had previously said an early check in would 't be a problem. By 4:30pm our room still wasn't ready and they couldn't give any sense of when it might be. When we asked I they'd be discounting the room, etc. the manager very curtly told me "no".

When we asked what the delay was with the room they repeatedly told us it was "dirty", apparently they couldn't find a better choice of words. When we finally did get into the room at 6pm there was a bright red stain between the two beds. After all that waiting the room was still dirty!!

We paid full price for a room we barely used, we're not compensated in any way and found the staff to be terribly rude! I suggest finding another hotel if you want to enjoy your stay.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ashea21
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was a really nice experience. The place is very new (love that) and nicely designed. The one flaw was that we paid extra for a room with a Jacuzzi tub... and you could not make it fill up without the shower spraying on you at the same time. So that was a little bit of a bummer.

We were ready for bed at 10 after a long day of hiking, but upstairs neighbors were stomping around a lot. Thin floors?

It was nice to be able to bring along our dog. And when we discovered that we'd left behind the special dog dish... they were nice about taking a credit card number and sending it along.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keene
Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown
BEST WESTERN PLUS Keene Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Keene
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Chesterfield Inn
Chesterfield Inn
#1 of 2 in West Chesterfield
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
#1 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Courtyard Keene Downtown? Share your experiences!