“Breakfast, Homemade Fudge and More”
Review of The WaterWheel

The WaterWheel
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Jefferson
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We are known for our more than adequate portions at a very reasonable price. Our more popular menu choices include pancakes as big a dinner plate and Omelets made with 6 eggs. Along with a variety of New England made products we have maple syrup, 12 varieties of fudge, and whoopie pies in our Gift Shop.
Reviewed June 7, 2013

While travelling cross-country between the Maritmes and Ontario we were directed to the Waterwheel Restaurant alongside Route 2, just west of Gorham, New Hampshire for breakfast. If you are travelling from "down east" to the north central part of the continent, this is a wonderfully relaxing and scenic way to go. Crossing back into Canada was a breeze at the very quiet border crossing in Ogdensberh,NY/Prescott,On. The Waterwheel is a very popular local eatery with a quaint country decor and lots of things to see and do, including puzzles on the tables, and the room is dominated by a huge pot-bellied stove which really works. The staff are extremely friendly and breakfast was excellent. Good food, served in an unhurried but efficient manner. You pay for your meal in their gift shop which is crammed with local stuff. They make and sell their own very good tasting, home-made fudge at a very reasonable price. I got a sampler which included 1/2 pound each of mint chocolate, maple walnut and English toffee for $11.99. This is a highly recommended pit stop if you are travelling the Whilt Mountains area in New Hampshire.

There are newer reviews for The WaterWheel

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We went there on an october sunday morning, late at 1030am, maybe 11am, without a reservation: they immediately told us there will be one hour waiting.We decidet to wait for and, as they have a fantastic shop full of amazing gadgets, we spent one hour in a breeze. They served an excellent pancake breakfast, with supreme maple syrup, quickly and extremely kind, first class service. Really good prices (not only the strore).

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

It's been a year since our last visit and the quality of food is now lacking, and customer service.
When I asked if there was more lotion The waitress replies "um u would talk to Trish about that" and walks away. Who the hell is Trish like I'm suppose to know. She walks by again I show her I want to pay for an item she says "oh um..u can pay for that after u r dome eating just leave it
There" she walks away are you kidding me?! She couldn't take a second to ring me out when only 4 tables were full. I left the item and sat down to eat I did not buy it. They couldn't make an egg white
Omelet so they gave me
An "alternative" egg. It was gross tasted like a moist chewy sponge! When I told my waitress how gross it was she replies with "oh...." And walks away to bring us back out check! No sorry no let me take that off your bill, nothing! I didn't bother complaining to the manager bc seeing how ba the staff was I was about to lose to my temper so I left. Do not go here the lack of courtesy is not worth the low prices

1  Thank Leahb1089
waterwheelnh, Owner at The WaterWheel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

I am sorry for the lack of professionalism displayed by the waitress. I will review the areas she obviously needs to work on. One thing I do want you to know is that she did follow up with me regarding the lotion while you were here and I hope she informed you that I can reorder the Pumpkin in the Fall. I'm sorry you did not get a refund for the egg substitute that you didn't care for.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is not our first visit to The Waterwheel, and it definitely will not be our last! This restaurant NEVER has disappointed us. We live about twenty minutes away, and we have been there many, many times. Today was another pleasant dining experience.

My husband ordered one of the omelets, and I ordered one of the combo breakfasts. Our food was hot and delicious, and arrived in a very timely manner. Coffee was refilled as needed. Waitress was very pleasant and attentive.

Just a heads up for those who have not been to this restaurant: portions are very large! Each pancake is the size of a large dinner plate. If you order scrambled eggs, expect to receive twice the amount you ordered. I believe the regular omelets use somewhere between 6-8 eggs. So, select your menu items accordingly! Real maple syrup is included. Also, don't be shy: feel free to ask what options are available for meals that include toast, as they often have other choices. The grilled corn bread is excellent!

The restaurant is decorated with numerous local antiques and memorabilia. There is a choice of tables or booths. There is a separate section with higher quality gifts to browse in while waiting for a table. Pure maple syrup may be purchased in the shop, along with very yummy-looking fudge. Handmade soaps, pine scented gifts, jewelry, some clothing items, etc. also are available in the gift shop.

Sunday can be a very busy day at The Waterwheel. I would suggest going earlier in the morning versus later, as once the local church services let out, it can have a steady stream of people coming in. If you are pressed for time, just ask the hostess how long the wait might be. She is a very gracious and accommodating lady! Even if it may be a while before a table opens up, it definitely is worth the wait!

1  Thank Mary W
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My daughter and I found this by asking locals in Berlin, NH "where's the best breakfast served around here?" They said its a few miles outside town but its worth the drive. You can say that again, it was well worth the drive! It's a warm, friendly atmosphere with the wait staff informing us that their omelets are either 6 egg or 12 egg omelets, not to mention the other ingredients they fill them with! The pancakes were light and delicious with New Hampshire Maple syrup! The decor is total New England with a gift shop located in the back of the dining room if you would like to shop while your waiting for your tasty breakfast! The hostess who is the owner who with her husband is gracious and helpful with ideas of where to go for great pictures, local sight seeing or just thanking you for stopping in! We will be back,,call a head for their hours and days of operation!