“Five Stars for Charm and Lovely Owners”
Review of Monadnock Inn

Monadnock Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Jaffrey B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Monadnock Inn over Columbus Day Weekend. It is prime foliage season up in this part of New England and the Inn was busy. This is a true inn...In the sense that there is a full scale restaurant and bar.
We checked in around 10 PM and thought it would be great to have a nightcap at the bar. We sat and had a couple of really great glasses of Scotch, and had a lovely chat with Max, who is half of the brother/sister team who owns this establishment. He runs the front of the house with grace and ease. Noelle, his sister appeared later after finishing up her last of her evening duties in the kitchen. She is the chef, and runs her kitchen with great aplomb and authority. The Monadnock Inn caters all kinds of events and functions on and off premises. Impressive!
The included breakfast they offer was great. It was not the normal individual portioned out cereals, bad baked goods, etc....The Monadnock Inn offers a la carte cooked breakfast to order and the presentations were lovely and delicious.
Our daughter goes to a nearby boarding school and The Monadnock is definitely going to be our go to place to stay now.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Monadnock Inn

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Nice old place with extremely nice bar staff who provided great if not a bit spendy food and good variety of wine. (No draught beer) The stairs are steep and rooms we had very noisy due to traffic noise right outside the window. Expect better for $160 and $130 a night for the double rooms we stayed in. Shower in $160 room was lame. Overall a very nice place but much better values close by if $$ is the driver.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This INN has one of the most sophisticated, up-scale restaurants in the area. The food is absolutely divine and prepared in a creative, wonderful fashion. The webpage says: "...the Inn's menu brings bistro elegance to country fare, with a wine list to match this range." and it is totally true. I have never stayed overnight so I am not sure about the rooms but the restaurant is where we go when we want an elegant, delicious, beautifully prepared, extra-special dining experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Beautiful area the Inn is nice looking from the outside extremely dated on the inside. I know this is a historic building but there is a way with keeping in character owithout looking cheap. All the plants are fake and dusty. The rooms were clean looking but smelled dusty and of the last guest. We took all the covers off the bed and it still didn't help. Toilet took forever to flush so I peaked into the tank and found a plastic jug to conserve water which would make sense if we were not on the 3rd floor maybe not I'm not a plumber.
Lets get to the food. Food was pretty good but they made us sit at a small crappy table across from the kitchen. Basically we felt we were a inconvienance because we did not make a reservation even though when we checked in we asked for one. In house guests are a second thought and we defiantly shouldn't be at the price of the rooms. Would not return to stay or eat I work to hard for my money to give it to ungrateful people.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Naf1004
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Can we start with the room that the bed barely fits in. Then add the chair that has ripped arm rests (owners please note there is a difference between antiques and junk). Then add the stains on the ceiling (that you can't help but notice because they are right or the bed. Or the drooping window trimming (not in style with the room at all!). Add the coils pushing up through the bed, and the random bird cage decoration hanging from the sprinkler system (weird right!!). It was a very disappointing experience. Especially if you think your getting what they say on the webpage. The room is worth about 90 a night TOPS but off season they charged us 150.00. DO NOT stay here. No comment back either when I tried to contact owners (who do not live there... wonder last time they stayed in these rooms). Good note, and reason for any stars at all. The food was very good. Eat here but don't sleep here. I use to love this place and I am very sad to write this review. Wish the owner had at least acknowledged my email...

Room Tip: try to get a room off the front of the house. Do NOT pick 205 it is way over priced, small, lousy ma...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank votenochains
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I recently stayed at the Monadnock Inn (room 305) which is the smallest room in the inn. For the money we paid for the room, it was an average stay. If I were to have paid more money for another room, I would have been disappointed.

The Good: There is a cute bar downstairs that was nice to have a drink and the inn is located near the downtown and close to the mountain. Nice, friendly staff.

The Bad & Ugly: The room did not have a bathroom but we did have a private bathroom across the hall. There are no windows in the bathroom, so there was no ventilation! When showering, the door must stay shut or the fire alarm will go off and the fire department must arrive. It is difficult to shower in a steamy room and not have a window to air out. (Especially after someone has just showered before you!) There are specific instructions that the door must be closed at all times. Forget about doing your hair and makeup in there after showering!

I was DISGUSTED with the shower curtain!! It was made of a cotton/fiber like material that clings to your body! It also was way too long and actually laid at the bottom of the shower! You can imagine all of the germs of the prior guests whose dirty water that has seeped up in the shower curtain and then touches your body. Luckily, I showered before arriving and hiked the next day so I skipped the shower all together but my husband did shower and said the shower curtain kept clinging to him! The sign indicated that if the shower curtain was not left in the shower, then the shower would leak! I am sure this is a health code violation and is one of the most disgusting things I have seen at a hotel/inn. If I were to have showered there, NO WAY would I have let that shower curtain near my body or in the tub and the Inn would have had to deal with a leaky floor!

The public bathrooms in the Inns are not located in private places. The one downstairs is right next to the reception and bar. The one on the second floor is located directly across the office where an employee was working.

The doors would not open when the doorknob was turned so many times the door must be slammed opened and shut. In an old inn, this can be very noisy. Also, the floors creaked. We came home late from the dinner and as much as we tried, we couldn’t help but make noise so I am sure the people below us had a rough night’s sleep. While trying to sleep in, it was impossible because the room was not soundproof and you could hear talking and doors shutting. The room window was broken and needed a piece of wood to hold it open.

The breakfast was very disappointing. A CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST AT AN INN? We were waiting for the server to bring us a fresh meal . Finally, we realized, this is it: hard boiled eggs, muffins, fruit, coffee and orange juice? Quite a disappointment for an Inn to not put the energy into making a nice breakfast.

For the money we paid, we got what we paid for. If I were to have paid more money, I definitely would have had a major issue with my stay.

Room Tip: Probably a room on the third floor due to noise. Bring your own shower curtain or shower before arri...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelnh1
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were surprised when we first walked in at how shabby the inn was. The web page looked so bright and clean. Our room "Pauline's Room" was on the third floor. It was hot when we got in, but only one window stayed open. We were surprised at how much street noise there was, we thought it would be quiet and peaceful, based on it's small town location. The paint was peeling off the walls, there was no clock and only two, flat pillows on the bed. There were two pillows in shams which we didn't feel comfortable using. The floor sloped, so the head of the very uncomfortable bed was lower than the foot. It was freezing in the morning with no way to turn on the heat. We followed the posted instructions, but never did get any heat. We did not eat in the restaurant. We had to leave early in the morning so we went to breakfast at 7:30, the time we were told they started serving. No one was downstairs. When we finally got breakfast, it was adequate - scrambled eggs, two slices of bacon and a slice of standard white bread toast. The juice came from the bar. Compared to other B&Bs we have stayed in, this was one of the worst. We did not complain, we just laughed at the ridiculousness of the situation. I would not recommend this poorly maintained inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank westerne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaffrey
Best Western Plus Keene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Peterborough
Woodbound Inn
Woodbound Inn
#1 of 1 in Rindge

Been to Monadnock Inn? Share your experiences!