“Bathrooms needs a window and vinyl curtains, disappointing breakfast: (a continental breakfast at an inn?)”
Review of Monadnock Inn

Monadnock Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Jaffrey B&B and Inns
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I recently stayed at the Monadnock Inn (room 305) which is the smallest room in the inn. For the money we paid for the room, it was an average stay. If I were to have paid more money for another room, I would have been disappointed.

The Good: There is a cute bar downstairs that was nice to have a drink and the inn is located near the downtown and close to the mountain. Nice, friendly staff.

The Bad & Ugly: The room did not have a bathroom but we did have a private bathroom across the hall. There are no windows in the bathroom, so there was no ventilation! When showering, the door must stay shut or the fire alarm will go off and the fire department must arrive. It is difficult to shower in a steamy room and not have a window to air out. (Especially after someone has just showered before you!) There are specific instructions that the door must be closed at all times. Forget about doing your hair and makeup in there after showering!

I was DISGUSTED with the shower curtain!! It was made of a cotton/fiber like material that clings to your body! It also was way too long and actually laid at the bottom of the shower! You can imagine all of the germs of the prior guests whose dirty water that has seeped up in the shower curtain and then touches your body. Luckily, I showered before arriving and hiked the next day so I skipped the shower all together but my husband did shower and said the shower curtain kept clinging to him! The sign indicated that if the shower curtain was not left in the shower, then the shower would leak! I am sure this is a health code violation and is one of the most disgusting things I have seen at a hotel/inn. If I were to have showered there, NO WAY would I have let that shower curtain near my body or in the tub and the Inn would have had to deal with a leaky floor!

The public bathrooms in the Inns are not located in private places. The one downstairs is right next to the reception and bar. The one on the second floor is located directly across the office where an employee was working.

The doors would not open when the doorknob was turned so many times the door must be slammed opened and shut. In an old inn, this can be very noisy. Also, the floors creaked. We came home late from the dinner and as much as we tried, we couldn’t help but make noise so I am sure the people below us had a rough night’s sleep. While trying to sleep in, it was impossible because the room was not soundproof and you could hear talking and doors shutting. The room window was broken and needed a piece of wood to hold it open.

The breakfast was very disappointing. A CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST AT AN INN? We were waiting for the server to bring us a fresh meal . Finally, we realized, this is it: hard boiled eggs, muffins, fruit, coffee and orange juice? Quite a disappointment for an Inn to not put the energy into making a nice breakfast.

For the money we paid, we got what we paid for. If I were to have paid more money, I definitely would have had a major issue with my stay.

Room Tip: Probably a room on the third floor due to noise. Bring your own shower curtain or shower before arri...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelnh1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were surprised when we first walked in at how shabby the inn was. The web page looked so bright and clean. Our room "Pauline's Room" was on the third floor. It was hot when we got in, but only one window stayed open. We were surprised at how much street noise there was, we thought it would be quiet and peaceful, based on it's small town location. The paint was peeling off the walls, there was no clock and only two, flat pillows on the bed. There were two pillows in shams which we didn't feel comfortable using. The floor sloped, so the head of the very uncomfortable bed was lower than the foot. It was freezing in the morning with no way to turn on the heat. We followed the posted instructions, but never did get any heat. We did not eat in the restaurant. We had to leave early in the morning so we went to breakfast at 7:30, the time we were told they started serving. No one was downstairs. When we finally got breakfast, it was adequate - scrambled eggs, two slices of bacon and a slice of standard white bread toast. The juice came from the bar. Compared to other B&Bs we have stayed in, this was one of the worst. We did not complain, we just laughed at the ridiculousness of the situation. I would not recommend this poorly maintained inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank westerne

Travelers are raving about these Jaffrey hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Starting with the good points:

- Lovely setting
- Very helpful staff
- Good food in the restaurant and pub in the evenings

However, we chose this place as a B&B and it left a lot to be desired. We had a suite which had a separate room as sitting area with a sofa bed in. This would've been fine for a couple requiring a but more space, but for a family using both rooms as bedrooms, the rooms were so small that it was difficult to move around in. Also, the sofa bed was extremely unconmfortable. The bathroom, while clean, was in bad need of a redecoration. The paint on the ceiling was peeling away badly and throughout it could've done with a lick of paint. The window frames in particular were looking flaky and grubby, and the window itself had to be held open with a stick. The shower curtains were very clingy, and the whole smoke alarm issue is bewildering... It made it even worse that our door would only shut properly if you slammed it! Lastly, there were no tea and coffee making facilities.

The breakfast was adequate, but no choice was offered.

Overall, it felt as if all the energy was being put into the restaurant and pub, which meant the B&B was left lagging behind.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Hazel186364
Rindge, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Dinner at Thorndikes restaurant at the Monadnock Inn was a wonderful experience. Excellent drinks and excellent cooking, yet there is only one item on the menu that exceeds $20! This was our second experience at the Monadnock Inn and we were very pleased both times. They take reservations but porch seating is first come first serve. We were lucky enough to be seated on the porch on both occasions. The inside seating is in very tasteful, homey, classic New England style rooms, but the porch is a very pleasant atmosphere. The area is what you expect New England to be. Check the hours in the winter and spring when the restaurant is only open Thursday to Saturday. Summer and fall they run Monday to Saturday. Definitely a recommended choice.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Alachua, FL
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Just returned from a weekend at the Monadnock Inn in Jaffrey, NH. I'm not generally a B&B fan, but this place was great. A lovely inn, terrific restaurant, and a beautiful location. Inn keepers and staff were friendly and very helpful. We stayed in the Kelly room on the third floor. It was spacious and charming and had a nice patio just steps from our door. Beds were comfortable and the entire inn very clean and well maintained. Our room had television and wifi was available. Thorndike restaurant had a creative menu. Try the mussels. A lovely breakfast served each morning. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: An easy to use web site with good descriptions of all rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Lovely , wellcared- for inn in a pastoral setting. Thorndike's restaurant is exceptional. The novelty and quality of the menu selections are remarkable. It is what you would expect of a sophisticated restaurant in an urban setting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I found the Monadnock Inn at Jaffrey Centre an extremely hospitable second stay with a very friendly atmosphere, great food and charming company. I find the "We left hungry and cold" review very hard to believe as I experienced the complete opposite on both occasions.

There was an explanatory notice in the room to keep the connecting door between the ensuite bathroom and the bedroom closed when having a shower as the steam could set off the sprinkler sensor in the bedroom: An entirely reasonable request and one which was adhered to with no problem. I did have a slight difficulty with the shower head leaking water over the top of the shower curtain in the morning and leaving a puddle on the floor which was attended to by the Inn Keeper. Problem solved immediately.

Breakfast was served by a charming lady and nothing was too much trouble, even though I am a pescatarian (a vegetarian who eats fish) which can cause problems with some menu's. But not here at this Inn. The breakfast was very good and there was definitely no lack of commitment to the guest!

There was a restaurant for an evening meal on which I cannot comment as the bar menu was perfectly adequate for my requirements. I was not expecting haute cuisine. After all, this is a New England Inn and not Le Gavroche Restaurant with Michelin Three Star dining from Michel Roux Junior. You get what you pay for. But the seafood was absolutely delicious and cooked to perfection. And a thoroughly excellent recommendation for the chefs at this establishment.

Speaking of the English-style bar, it was the perfect place to relax and talk with friends over a drink or two and being the Inn for the locals, was a congenial way of realising just how friendly New England folk are, particularly if you originate from England! So a few pleasant evenings were experienced which added to the "family" atmosphere of the Inn. And the music played by a very competent couple on the keyboard during Friday and weekend evenings, accompanied by vocals, was delightful.

I cannot comment about the heating as there was no need for it during my stay.

All I can say is that is more prudent if there is a complaint to mention it during the stay, where it can be corrected, if found to be valid.

But I don't think I could give a better review than to say I will be staying at the Monadnock Inn again, given the opportunity ...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mike H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaffrey
Fairfield Inn & Suites Keene Downtown
#1 of 4 in Jaffrey
Jack Daniels Motor Inn
Jack Daniels Motor Inn
#1 of 1 in Peterborough

Been to Monadnock Inn? Share your experiences!