The Grand View Estate
Official Site
$116
$116
Fairfield Inn
Best Western Plus Keene Hotel(Keene)(Great Value!)
$93
BestWestern.com
$97
$80
$76
$130
$120
Colonial Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Took advantage of the Valentine's package that included a 1-night stay, dinner, and spa treatment. The owners were extremely friendly, helpful and fun! We went exploring during the day, using our snowshoes on their expansive trails on the property. Sunset views of the mountain were fabulous. Dinner on site was great and we ended our stay with a wonderful 60-minute massage. We will surely go back and try during the warm weather as well. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I was very disappointed with the Grand View Inn I'm sorry to stay. For $100 a night, I would have been ok - but not at $175. I understand it's peak season - but at that rate, a nicely cooked breakfast (which I've always had at B&Bs) would have been nice, soap in both the shower & sink, better furnished rooms... Well, I'll break it down:

Likes
- location was great - near Keene (we went to the Pumpkin Festival), Mt. Monadnock where we went hiking, Peterborough, Swanzey for the covered bridges. We found it to be very central.
- The staff seemed nice enough - although weren't as helpful at the front desk regarding things to do as people seemed to indicate.
- There was plenty of food at breakfast - bagels, cream cheese, jelly, instant oatmeal, boxed cereal, juices & coffee (but as I said you expect a bit more at that price).
- They didn't hesitate to give us a second portable heater when I asked for one because our heat wasn't working in the room & the one heater the first night didn't really do the job. Of course, it made me a bit nervous to have to use portable heaters, but oh well - I don't blame them for the furnace going - at least there was hot water in the shower (if not the sink).
- Grounds were very nice, and overall the inn was comfy & cozy
- Since we wouldn't be there by 7, we called to let them know we'd arrive by 10 & they were waiting in the office for us before closing

Dislikes
- There were wasps & flies in our room. My boyfriend killed several, and the staff had to kill a few. But being allergic to bees, I wasn't thrilled. They were there when you woke up, and there when you went to bed...
- We stayed in the Wheeler room & I can see why they don't show the picture on the web - definitely not as nicely furnished as the rest of the inn with cheap wicker furniture. And watch your head as the ceiling is low in places (like getting out of bed on one side)
- Not exactly a home-cooked breakfast as you would expect at an upscale B&B
- Room looked tired - peeling ceiling, stained carpet, mushy couch
- Lacking amenities - one small soap for both the shower & sink (which was fun when you go in the shower & realize there's no soap once you are wet). Used one of the two glasses & it wasn't replaced. Small bottle of cheap shampoo.
- No TV (guess I missed that in my readings - which I don't need, but BF would have liked it at end of long day)
- Kitchen fridge wasn't working well enough to put icepacks & champagne in - had to use wetbar small fridge

Overall, I couldn't recommend this place at this price. I'd rather stay at a motel or other B&B. I kind of feel like the best B&Bs are the ones where you feel like the owners still have a stake - they are there making breakfast when you get up & checking to make sure your stay is going well. I felt like the owners, wherever they were, just didn't care.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2010

We stayed two nights at the Grand View. The grounds surrounding the property are impeccable and the huge sweeping porch was fabulous! The restaurant was delicious and we highly recommend it. The entire staff was so cordial, gracious and helpful. We notice they had lots to do for families although we were a couple with no children on the trip. The room was a bit on the small size but nothing to complain about. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2010

The scenic view is grand, however, the main building that we stayed in needs some TLC.

Ripped wallpaper, torn screens, chipped paint, & stained carpeting can all be taken care of very easily.

I would have loved to have had curtains on my window in our room. Mini blinds do provide privacy but lacey curtains would have added some charm. Plus our "closet" only had 2 hangers in it. I would have liked more and could probably have asked the maid for them but shouldn't that feature be checked before showing the room to the guest?

Security was a main issue for us. Being in the main house with many entrance doors can be a bit scary at night when it's just 2 people in the entire house. When I spoke to the owner about this I was told that they do secure the house at night and that they live on site should there be an emergency.

I would have liked to have known this ahead of time. Perhaps a brochure or letter in our room stating that they live on site and that they do secure the house at night.

We did have a small note in our room listing an after hours phone number but no mention as to who's number it was (a name would have been nice).

I would also have loved to have seen a flower garden. With so much land they could easily plant zinnias or roses so that there would be fresh flowers throughout the house instead of the dusty silk ones that we had in our room.

To have ice tea or lemonade available in the afternoon would have been another nice touch. Perhaps with cookies or apples. They only thing we did have was an urn full of ice water!

With a litle TLC this place can be a real charmer.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I really don't even know where to start-
I got married here on New Years Eve [2009]
and it was one of the best experiences of my life.
I stayed at The Grandview with everyone in my wedding party [8 gals, their husbands and 6 children]. Everyone was SO flexible, hospitable and warm from the moment we arrived [stayed for 3 nights]. I was concerned about warmth [due to my NYC residence and the rural location & temperature]. Silly worries when I look back now. It was a truly cozy atmosphere-like a home away from home. All of the sitting rooms, piano, tvs, fireplaces, spacious kitchen for breakfast.

New Years Eve day I took advantage of the spa-EXACTLY what I needed.
Lots of the husbands and the kids took advantage of the great hills right there with some sledding......
After a ceremony at St. Patrick's [right down the road],
we had our wedding celebration in the barn.
Woweeeeeeee!
Guests raved about EVERYTHING-
Food was delicious!
Atmosphere was perfect.
Bonfire was the best!!!!!!
It was a dream to have our wedding at The Grandview.
DREAM.
I wish I could do it all over again THIS New Years Eve-:p
Kelly&Scott,
I feel truly lucky to have met you.
YOU BOTH ROCK!
xx
Caroline
*Also wrote a restaurant review with fotos of the wedding attached.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends