“best, finest restaurant in area”

Thorndike's Restaurant at The Monadnock Inn
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Jaffrey
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2013

... amazing food, elegantly prepared. Atmosphere very New Englandly - charming with class and good taste. Excellent service. soft jazz on Friday and Sat night. I always go here when I want an extra-special meal.

1  Thank riceflan

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Camp Monadnock on Thorndike Pond closed forty tree years ago, but there was a reunion for attendees here in the fall of 2012. The Inn has been there since at least the '40's and is just fine with a distinct country sophisticated feel. The restaurant was great for our event which included many people. I'd go back there to eat if the occasion called for it.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We decided to try the inn for dinner after visiting it in December during the Currier and Ives Cookie Tour. 6 adults and 1 baby. We ordered two different appetizers to share (crab & artichoke dip and a flatbread dish) and both were excellent and plenty to share. We also ordered 6 different entrees and everyone thought their dish was the BEST! Now that is satisfaction! The server was pleasant and attentive. The atmosphere was lovely and unhurried. We lingered over 3 desserts which were also excellent. We will definitely go back. It was a great experience. Thanks so much.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'll try to be positive...

What was good you ask?

The wine, caesar salad, Dessert, and the wait staff, realizing they needed to take three entrees off of the bill for the service we received.

What was not so good?

The hostess sat us and took our drink order because our server was busy with a large party of approx. 12 ppl. fine (no problem). She suggested a red wine (Cashmere) that was a big seller with great reviews ("great let's have that!"). Moments later she returns to say, "sorry I guess we are all out but let me assure you that this wine (Klinker Brick- Farrah Sarah) is just as good and only $2. more"... "yes, fine we'll try that." Wine comes out (poured by a different person who is not our server) and it is fantastic! Next, our server finally gets to us and takes our meal orders and prefaces her delivery of the "specials" by stating that, "there are no specials- we've run out." To our surprise and slight disappointment we assure the server its no big deal as the four of us have all decided on (carnivorous meat and potatoes) the strip steak dinner and all of us are also going to have the caesar salad (Two steaks ordered medium, and two ordered medium-rare). "Great," she says. Moments later, she returns- just like the hostess did and says, "I only have three steaks left and one special end-cut prime rib." I reply after the silence at the table and offer to take the "special." Salads come out and they are delightful looking and equally delicious! Then after a while (not too long) the meals come out but, they look different from what was described on the menu. Instead of buttery, horseradish mashed potatoes, there is a pile of wonderfully variably colored over-sized cous-cous on the plate. So my friend says, "umm, this is supposed to have mashed potatoes.." and the server replies, I know...we ran out, didn't the hostess tell you?"

Now I'm thinking to myself, "okay, I just had to pay more for wine suggested to me because you ran out and weren't aware, then there's no specials, plus you barely have time for our table, and now your passing the buck saying someone else should've told us there were no potatoes ANNND you only had three steaks left at 7:30 in the evening on a Saturday night! I will sooooo be getting a discount and if it wasn't so late and we weren't so hungry, I'd be changing venues."

"No no one told us you were out of potatoes...we wish we knew that before we ordered and envisioned what we'd be eating." Server, semi-kindly asks if we'd like something different like sweet potato hash or pasta and so in turn three plates are returned to the kitchen and replaced with new sides (odd) opposed to just bringing the sides separately. I, in turn am sitting alone with my huge cut of prime that's getting cold because I'm (the special that I'm not even aware of what it costs, but it looks great) waiting to eat with my friends. Finally the plates return and we all start eating. The prime rib is perfect and enormous, the guys medium-rare steaks are WELL DONE and not in the good sense of the word, and ALL the sides are not good or tasty. After a couple of disappointing bites, I waved down the server from 8ft. away who seemed to be ignoring us for the hopeful big tipping table of 12. I told her the sides were very undesirable and asked her to look at the steaks which the men were not about to send back AGAIN. She apologized and said, I'll see what I can do about getting some taken off the bill and maybe dessert.

We finished what we could, I shared my prime rib and we ordered desert- just because...now we were joking saying, hmmm do you think they've run out of brownies or ice cream yet?? Dessert was actually very good, but then again, how do you mess up brownies and ice cream--you can't!

When the saga was over we were handed a bill for $104. and change. The three strip steak entrees were taken off so we paid $36. wine, $36 for the salads, and $32 on the "special and dessert. Plus, we left the server a $25 tip. Still pricey for a not so good night but the company was priceless!

In the end of the evening we all decided that the Phantom got it wrong--we won't return!

4  Thank AGIO9890
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Guest have the option of eating in the dining room or pub, but with the option of the dining room menu in the pub we opted for that. Great choice as the atmosphere is fun and warm. Menu has great selection and we were not disappointed with ours: Rack of lamb and duck! Perfectly prepared and pleasantly presented. A very relaxing and delicous meal. We would happily return!