“A good walk, and a lovely view”

Mount Monadnock State Park
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Jaffrey
More attraction details
Owner description: The climb to the top of the 3,165-foot-peak is a popular activity in this picturesque park.
Durham, United Kingdom
181 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“A good walk, and a lovely view”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We naively started walking up Mount Monadnock without any water or other provisions, and were exhausted by the heat and humidity by the time we reached the summit. We placed our rock on the cairn, and enjoyed what there was of the view, as it was disappointedly misty. We appreciated the walk down better, and picked some blueberries along the way to accompany the long drinks of water that we all enjoyed once we had returned to our friend's home situated near at the start of the mountain trail. We didn't see anyone else on our walk - perhaps the heat and the haze had out others off. Probably wise, but we enjoyed our hike nonetheless!

1 Thank Robin H

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great views, terrible people”
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

The hike is only 4 miles round trip. The views from the top are great and you can see a long ways on a clear day. Unfortunately their are large crowds on the trail. People hiking this mountain do not know proper hiking etiquette like not standing in the middle of the trail for a break. Just get to the side. People hiking the trail were also inadequately prepared and you could hear people complains about hiking the whole way up. Besides the people the hike I would say was moderate. Going up the white dotted trail you have to scramble up a couple of rock faces and on the way down on the white cross trail there are many boulders you must navigate around. The trail up is not overly steep but for the people that are out of shape and not used to hiking probably 75% of the people on the trail it will be a tough climb. The only negative that I have about it were the crowds and people. I would recommend going on a day early November when the colder weather will keep people away.

5 Thank Kevin M
Boston, Massachusetts
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Intense workout and amazing experience ”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

A group of us did this hike for my birthday and it was a great experience. We enjoyed the challenge but be sure you are prepared with good shoes and my hiking stick saved me from tripping multiple times! A great experience/adventure for my birthday. Also, it had rained that morning making a our trek much more challenging but still possible. The

1 Thank CaitlinH300
Cincinnati, Ohio
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Not worth the effort”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Overrated!!! This hike was very difficult, more like rock climbing than hiking. I am in good shape and like to hike but I didn't enjoy this. We took the white dot trail to the top and the white cross trail back down. You have to be conscious of every single step so you can't enjoy the scenery. Once you get to the top, the view isn't anything spectacular. There are much nicer hikes in the area.

1 Thank Lee G
New Orleans, Louisiana
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“For outdoors-type travellers: Not to be missed”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

This is one of the most hiked mountains in the world for good reason (often claimed to be 2nd, after Mt. Fuji). Depending upon trail, weather, and time constraints, hike difficulty and grade can vary from easy to difficult. I generally prefer the White Dot Trail, but this can be a tougher, steeper, and more challenging at times. Overall, I would not judge this mountain to be a tough hike (I'm in my late 20's, in good shape, though I don't exercise regularly), and certainly family friendly. Take ten minutes time and read up on your trail options before driving out- it's worth it. As with any hike to be enjoyed, plan on breaks and move at a comfortable pace, regardless of trail. The views are truly incredible on clear days and the uniqueness of the bald peak at such a lower elevation gives one the impression of having done more climbing than you actually have. Certainly beautiful, best, and most stunning in the autumn foliage, but fantastic year-round.

2 Thank autumnomous