“For outdoors-type travellers: Not to be missed”

Mount Monadnock State Park
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Jaffrey
More attraction details
Owner description: The climb to the top of the 3,165-foot-peak is a popular activity in this picturesque park.
Reviewed July 25, 2014

This is one of the most hiked mountains in the world for good reason (often claimed to be 2nd, after Mt. Fuji). Depending upon trail, weather, and time constraints, hike difficulty and grade can vary from easy to difficult. I generally prefer the White Dot Trail, but this can be a tougher, steeper, and more challenging at times. Overall, I would not judge this mountain to be a tough hike (I'm in my late 20's, in good shape, though I don't exercise regularly), and certainly family friendly. Take ten minutes time and read up on your trail options before driving out- it's worth it. As with any hike to be enjoyed, plan on breaks and move at a comfortable pace, regardless of trail. The views are truly incredible on clear days and the uniqueness of the bald peak at such a lower elevation gives one the impression of having done more climbing than you actually have. Certainly beautiful, best, and most stunning in the autumn foliage, but fantastic year-round.

2  Thank autumnomous

Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is more of a rock climb than a hike. 3/4 of the trail is steep rock slide and it's wet. It's just not enjoyable. There is little variation and you are so focused on not breaking an ankle that you can't enjoy the experience or scenery. The climb down is treacherous with all the water running over smooth stone. It's also $5 per person. On the positive side the trails are well marked and the view from top is lovely if not as spectacular as other white mt. trails. If you do go, please wear boots not sneakers and bring water, jacket and snacks. But I suggest you go hike just about any other trail in the white mountains instead. You'll enjoy it more.

2  Thank woodswalk
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Each year we climb Mt Monadnock, going up the white dot trail and coming down the white cross trail. I do suggest getting an early start as the trails can get very busy. Bring a lunch and enjoy the views from the top while refueling.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

My husband and I consider ourselves fairly fit, but do not hike often. We went up the white dot trail and down the white cross trail. It took us 3 hours including spending about 20 minutes at the summit. My quads were on fire and I was panting heavily! We did not stop to rest more than a couple of minutes up total, but I saw many people sitting down to rest, so if you are not fit I would expect this would take around 5 hours total. You see the summit for quite some time and it's very frustrating how hard it is to reach the top, but reaching it felt so great! We went on a very warm day, but you would never know that once you are at the very top. Bring a long sleeve shirt or jacket even in the summer. We brought 3 bottles of water and I had wished we brought more. I actually can't believe the amount of small children and people in regular sneakers that do this hike/climb! We had hiking boots on and I can't imagine anything else to scale the rocks. I thought it was very challenging. If you run or bike I think you will be well prepared.

-If you come in sneakers or non-waterproof hiking boots I would throw an extra pair of socks in your pack. There was a bit of mud and some puddles around and the last thing you want are wet feet.
-pack plenty of energy snacks or even a light meal
-bring lots of water (they sell water in the store near the parking lot)
-wear sunblock, bring bug spray (I did not experience any mosquitos or anything else.)

We were very impressed by the cleanliness of the park/trail.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We hiked to the summit from the campground at Gilson Pond. Huge parking lot, friendly rangers, 5$ entry fee per person. We hiked the red dot trail first and then the other trails further uphill. In the woods were couple of mosquitoes and horse flies, which is pretty normal for this area, probably it gets worse the next months, so it was not so annoying all the time. Later on out of the woods it got better. 4-5h round trip at least, and we are pretty sporty and fit. A little climbing here and there slows down the pace, and it gets sweaty and pretty steep sometimes. We rather prefer normal hiking without watching where to step all the way. However it's a nice trail, challenging, good workout, with a nice overlook at the summit.