“Love climbing Mt. Monadnock”

Mount Monadnock State Park
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Jaffrey
More attraction details
Owner description: The climb to the top of the 3,165-foot-peak is a popular activity in this picturesque park.
Hillsborough, New Hampshire
“Love climbing Mt. Monadnock”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Climbing Mt. Monadnock is something that I do about 12 times a year. The Monadnock State Park is just a great place to hike!

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great climb & rewarding 360 degree view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I took the white dot trail to the summit of Mt Monadnock. It was basically what I had suspected to be, rocky, steep & an all around workout. I knew this prior to coming, I did my research & read up on the mountain to plan & pack properly for the trip. When I made it to the summit, I was rewarded with the best 360 degree view that I've seen off of any peak yet, now I know why its the most climbed mountain in america. I could see Mt Greylock on the Ma, Ny line & in the other direction I could see the city of Boston. Of course I was up there on a completly clear day, the weather couldn't have been any better. I took the white dot to the white cross trail back down the mountain. All in all I gave it a 5 on all 4 review options. This was a great adventure & well worth the $5.00 the park rangers charged to experience it. With how kept up the mountain is, it was worth the $5.00 plus the rangers were very nice & helpful right at the gate.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Surprisingly Awesome Hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

I've done this hike twice in the last few months (it was so good the first time around that we had to go back). The first time around we went to the top with a large group and were going very slowly (too slowly, actually). But this was my first hike in New England (most of my other hikes have been in the Alps and on the West Coast), and I had no idea what to expect.
And let me tell you, I did not expect a hike that awesome. It was way more challenging (in a very satisfying way) because the hike is fairly steep and involves a lot of scrambling across rocks. The views along the way and from the top are fantastic.
The first time we went we took the White Dot trail up, and the White Cross trail down. The second time we opted for the less busy and more off the beaten path (literally!) way up: Starting with the White Dot, then over on the Cascade Link, then the Red Dot, and finally to the summit on the Pumpelly trail. That was a great choice because the mountain does get a lot of traffic!!
But the fact that there are many different routes one can take up and down (tip: go down on a different path than the one you came up on) makes for a very satisfying and varied hike.

Massachusetts, USA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“More difficult than I expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hiked Mt Monadnock with my husband on Labor Day weekend. I was expecting trails through woods, with a few rocks and roots. I was not expecting the steep climbs that the shortest/most direct trails to the top (White Dot and White Cross) entailed. Many long sections of these two trails are steep and composed entirely of rock - either falls of mid-sized, irregularly shaped and somewhat jagged rocks that can be carefully climbed like stairs, or larger, smoother outcroppings of granite. We arrived late (3pm) and had to rush, because sunset was at 7:19 pm and the woods would be DARK by about 7:30. The rangers told us it takes the "average" hiker 4 hours round trip, not including time spent enjoying the views at the top. I am in moderately good shape - I walk and go to the gym several days each week - so my husband and I pretty much rushed to get to the top in 90 minutes without taking a break. I was exhausted when we arrived at the peak. Although it had been a beautiful day, we arrived above tree-line to discover an isolated rain cloud moving in. It only rained for 30 minutes, but it was enough to make all of the rocks slippery (especially the smooth outcroppings with lichens on them) and the little bit of dirt between the rocks turned to mud. It took us 2 hours to get back down without stopping at all. Frankly, I felt the hike back down was dangerous on the wet rocks - a slip and fall could easily lead to serious injuries (broken bones or worse) on the steep, jagged rocks. I went down most of the larger outcroppings by sliding on my butt, and I wasn't the only person doing that! Kids, with their lower center of gravity, actually seemed to manage better than the adults. That said, I wouldn't take a child younger than about 6 on Mt. Monadnock, and if carrying an infant I'd put them in a back-carrier (a front carrier will throw your weight off on the way down).

Bring plenty of water - there are NO water sources along the White Dot and White Cross trails after you leave the parking lot - and a jacket, because it's breezy and much chillier at the peak.

Overall, if you're an experienced hiker, you'll probably love Mt. Monadnock. The views from the top are fabulous. If you aren't used to mountain hiking, be prepared that this mountain is steep and rocky. Do not attempt it without hiking boots or at the very least, sturdy sneakers with good grip.

New England
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Ahhh, The View!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Mt. Monadnock is a wonderful hike. You can drive up to the top (for a fee) and park there which allows you to hike the summit trails, or you can park down off the road and hike up from there.

There are trails for everyone's hiking prowess from easy to fairly steep. And the views from the top are spectacular. On a clear day, you can see for miles and miles and miles. Watching a storm coming is amazing, and during fall foliage time the mountains light up with vibrant colors that will astound you.

Visited October 2011