“Great value”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Jackson
Kent
“Great value”
Reviewed November 2, 2008

My wife and I stayed here as part of our New England tour. We were surprised by some of the negative reviews so perhaps it depends which of the buildings you stay in, We were in the main building and while he room could not be described as spacious it was not really small and did have a large bed and was clean and comfortable
As someone else remarked dinner is a little slow which they sell to you as a leisurely dining experience! Menu is fine but a little fussy but it depends on your tastes. Breakfast was good,
Our only real criticism wasthe absence of tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Admittedly coffee is provided in the lobby from 6am but no tea or decaff coffee which my wife and I drink
We were on a room/dinner/breakfast package which at USD179 plus taxes per night for both of us was great value

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No in room tea/coffee making faciolities
1 Thank MuppetKent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 18, 2008

The Wentworth is a huge disappointment. We were rented a "superior" room, which to them merely means a room that has a queen size bed and a fireplace. We stayed in the Fairlawn and found many problems with this outdated and inferior room. The paint was peeling off the wall in chips, the gas fireplace only worked for two hours, the lights were on metal pull chains, the carpet was dirty with no padding, the bed uncomfortable, the pillows flat, there was spackle on celing that had never been painted or sanded.
The bathroom was nothing short of disgusting. The toilet had an orange ring around it and the shower appeared to be clean until you took a shower in it. The water would not drain and the water accumulated in the tub up to my ankles. When I shut the shower off, and the water finally drained clumps of black dirt were left in the tub. I'm not sure if the dirt came out of the drain or was in the bottom of the tub all along.
Five complaints were made to the front desk. The manager refused to come to the room to look at the condition of it. She also refused to contact the owner. She acknowledged that she was familiar with the condition of the rooms and still rented them out. As I spoke to her, another guest was in line behind me to register his complaints. We both told her that she should be upfront and honest with guests as to the condition of these rooms. She did not feel as if she had to let guests know the condition of the room and that the room, according to her, was a superior room because it had a queen size bed and a fireplace.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank r0adtrip08
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed October 13, 2008

I cannot understand the good reviews for this property. The only thing I can think of is that the guest with good experiences stayed in a different part of the hotel. I always use Trip Advisor to check on hotels before booking and I'm afraid it failed me on this stay. When we walked to our room (in the Fairlawn cottage), we thought we were entering the Bates Motel. Creepy, failing into disrepair, dim lighting, dingy bed, peeling paint, heater lying in pieces, balcony falling apart....I could go on and on. This was the farthest from an 'elegant country inn.'

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 808wings
NW England
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We stayed here for three nights in room 407, which would be a great room if the owner had not fitted ridicously large dark green awnings to every window of the hotel. This meant that in order to view the surrounding great countryside you had to bend over nearly double. Also, the awnings made the room very dark, necessitating the lights having to be on all the time.

We also had problems with air conditioning that wasn't working. It took three conversations with the front desk for the hotel to acknowledge there was a problem. It was not resolved before we left and so we endured three hot and stuffy nights.

Also, surprising when compared to New England inns, the Wentworth does not offer a laundry service. Instead, we were pointed in the direction of two coin operated laundrettes. Hardly great service I'd have thought.

The food and wine list were OK in the context of the 'fine dining' definition of New England inns but the breakfasts were not so good. They can fry eggs but ask for an omlette or scrambled and I could have produced something much less rubbery.

All in all not a great experience.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Dr Neil G
Munich
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I am usually not for exaggerations, but we had booked this hotel during a 4 week tour through the United States, and it was by far the best hotel we had stayed in.
Sure, it was after labour day, so you might expect some cheap rates; but the rate which included a 4 course dinner and a great breakfast in a huge luxurious room with 2 seperate chambers was just too good to be true. The hotel is an old building, so don't expect any elevators or modern showers.
The hotel is located right next to a golf course (I do not play golf, so I can't tell about it) and also located near a small park, which invites you to take a short walk.
The hotel personal was friendly and helpful at all times, even the waiter for the dinner was great. What was especially to my liking, is that the owner of the hotel joined the guests in the dinner room and introduced himself at every table and we had a nice small talk. I have not yet before in my life had an owner of a hotel personally introduce himself to me in a hotel.
The only downside I could possibly find, was that at the same time, there seemed to be a large group of so-called "business"-men and women staying in the hotel as well. Luckily, they had their own dinner room, because they were apparantly having quite some fun.
All in all a great experience, I'd definitely come again.

1 Thank dschamboumping
Medfield MA
Reviewed September 24, 2008

We recently returned from a stay at the Wentworth Inn and quite honestly I was so disappointed. I had read so many great reviews that I really felt like we were staying in an entirely different place. My husband reserved a room in the main building for a three night surprise anniversary excursion. The room was in pretty rough shape…from dirty windows, to stain marks on sheets and the wall, holes in the walls that were poorly patched. The worse part of the room was definitely the bed and the pillows. The bed was so uncomfortable that I ended up sleeping in a chair for the last 2 nights of our stay. We did complain to the front desk but they said there was nothing they could do for us except upgrade us for an additional $50 a night. They said they did not have any other mattresses available nor did they even have a foam pad or anything they could put on the bed to make it more bearable. In retrospect, we probably should have paid for an upgrade to have had a better experience but honestly we felt like why should we. The staff apologized and said there was nothing they could do. In my opinion, not great customer service at all. The inn was not full during our stay and most other establishments would provide you with a complimentary upgrade or at least move you to another comparable room. The lobby in the main building is lovely and if they just placed the additional TLC in the rooms in the main building, it would be terrific. Not sure who is performing their repairs in the main building but it is definitely shoddy work.

Our first night, we had dinner there and it was the most drawn out event. It took over 2.5 hours. First off they did not have adequate staff and the waitress admitted that they lost their summer help and the winter help had not started yet. The food was very mediocre..I had the pork which was extremely dry and overcooked. We also eat breakfast there two times and both times we were disappointed. The only good item at breakfast was the fresh fruit. Our last morning, we chose to go to Yesterdays and really enjoyed that breakfast.

The best meals during our stay was at the Christmas Farm Inn (lamb was absolutely delicious) and at the Inn at Thorn Hill. Both places gave us memorable meals for our anniversary.
Honestly, this place has left a bad taste in our mouths and in order to get better service at a higher price, we would stay at the Inn at Thorn Hill during our next visit.

• Liked — The Location was the only thing I liked
  • Disliked — The service
2 Thank kad1227
Central US
Reviewed September 24, 2008

Give your business to an honest establishment. While some rooms may be quaint, the owner has no hesitations in renting out their old unimproved rooms as "Superior" and for the same price as their nice rooms. In addition, the mattress was the only one I have ever slept on (or not slept, as the case was) that was so old or cheap you could feel the springs poking you. Everything about our room screamed cheap, from the pull-chain light fixtures and rusted baseboard heaters to the paper thin walls through which you could hear the upstairs neighbors snoring. The owner's response seemed to be canned because it was addressed to me,"Mrs. X", and then referred to "you and your wife" several times. Apparently this is a common issue they do not care about. Instead of waiting until the building is remodeled properly to rent it out, they slapped it together and are trying to milk every penny out of it. The reply actually stated “...believe me I know the Fairlawn rooms are not perfect, in fact I attempted to renovate that building a few years ago to bring it up to the standard of my deluxe rooms but my building permit was denied by the town due to the building currently being non-confirming...” It is dishonest of them to rent these out hoping people won't complain, and only putting them in decent rooms if they do complain. Is that the type of place you want to give your business to?

3 Thank HikerWanderer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Lodge at Jackson Village
Comfort Inn & Suites North Conway
Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club
White Mountain Hotel and Resort

Been to The Wentworth? Share your experiences!