“Lovely Inn” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Jackson
Massachusetts
“Lovely Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

The Wentworth is a lovely old inn that has been very well maintained. The rooms have been renovated but the old school character still exists. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent and dinner was very good.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you so much for your recent visit to our hotel and for taking the time to share your experience with the readers of Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and both your dinner and breakfast.
I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Owner and Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Our Weekend at the Wentworth was truly amazing! From the moment we walked in we immediately felt like everyone there was committed to make our weekend a memorable one. The accommodations were excellent especially the Jacuzzi and fireplace at the foot of our bed. The dinners included in our package far exceeded our expectations. The servers made our dinners that more enjoyable! They were excellent servers who were friendly and professional. The owners, Fritz and Eleanor, always made it a point to check in with us and make sure that everything was satisfactory. We enjoyed The Wentworth so much that we actually extended our stay! We will return for sure!

Room Tip: Highly recommend a deluxe room with the fireplace and Jacuzzi!
1 Thank scabral
Dear Steven:
Thank you so much for your nice review and for your continued loyalty to our hotel which we truly appreciate. It was great to see you both and to be able to spend some time, chat and catch up.
I hope that not too much time passes before we see you again.
Best wishes
Eleanor and Fritz Koeppel
Owners and Managers
Guilford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

First time visitors to the Wentworth Inn for Valentine's Day weekend. We had a very enjoyable stay. The accommodations were excellent and comfortable in the Fairlawn Cottage. We enjoyed a hearty delicious breakfast every morning before heading out for XC skiing. I hope the chef remembers to email me the delicious homemade granola served at breakfast made on site. The staff at all levels were super! Snowed for 3 days and the walkways were cleared promptly. Dinner in the restaurant was delicious. We enjoyed visiting with other guests we met in the pub and also were entertained by Reid the bar tender. Would definitely recommend the Wentworth and would stay here again without hesitation.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for your first visit to The Wentworth Hotel and we are very pleased to read that you plan to return. I did see your request this morning for the recipe for our homemade breakfast granola recipe, our breakfast Chef Alan is off today otherwise I would have it for you but for sure I will have it for you tomorrow.
I will also pass along your nice comments towards Reid our bartender so that he may be recognized for his efforts and thank you for recognizing him.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Plattsburgh, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in July for our one year anniversary. I bought a deal online through SniqueAway/Jetsetter, so we got a really good deal. I called to verify what kind of room we had as I saw online that they have many types of rooms/cottages, etc. I informed my husband that we were probably in one of the "worst" rooms of the resort because of the deal we received. I was right. While the property was really nice, we were placed in probably one of the oldest rooms right at the top of the stairs where all of the traffic was coming to/from. It was a cozy room, and we were going to make the best of it. After our first night of sleep, we were not convinced we were going to make the best of it. We slept horribly since the bed was a little hard, very few pillows were offered (my husband and I like a lot of pillows), and the noise with the traffic in and out at the top of the stairs was loud and frequent.
We walked into town the next morning to get a couples massage and when chatting with the ladies there, they asked if we were in the nice, big sleigh beds. We said unfortunately not, but they encouraged us to talk to the front desk, which we were planning on doing anyway. When we returned to the hotel, we talked to the sweet lady at the front and asked if there was anything she should do (we were just hoping to perhaps move down the hall so that it wouldn't be so loud early in the morning). She told us that they have a room across the street available for us and gave us a key to check it out in order to decide what we would like to do. When my husband and I checked the room out, we were blown away. It was a night and day difference - it was about four times the size of our other room, had a fireplace, a HUGE bed, big bathroom, sitting area, and access to a hot tub. It was amazing. We went back to tell the lady we would take it and asked how much the "upgrade" would be. We were prepared and willing to pay around $100 for the upgrade, but she said she knew it was a special weekend for us and that there would be no charge. We were blown away. She asked if we wanted help moving our belongings to the new room, and we said we were glad to do it ourselves. I cannot begin to express how much of a difference this made our stay. After transferring everything into the new room and getting settled there (which I didn't want to leave because it was so nice), we went over to the pool with some beverages and had a nice time relaxing there. The water was a little chilly, but we had fun chatting with other couples who were there. We went back toward our room and sat in the hot tub for a bit, which was great. Only four rooms had access to this hot tub in this area, so it was just us. We eventually got ready for dinner and had a lovely meal at the restaurant on-site. Everything was delicious and we enjoyed a bottle of wine as well. Our server seemed a little new because she forgot a few things, but we were in no hurry and just enjoying our time anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. After dinner, we enjoyed a drink or two in the lounge and listened to the piano player. It was lovely. We then had a night cap while back in the hot tub, before sleeping in one of the most comfortable beds I have ever been in. In the morning, we enjoyed their breakfast (again), which was an added bonus since it was included.
We had considered golfing at the resort, but decided not to. We heard great things from other visitors about it, though.
We were really reluctant to leave the great atmosphere, room, ambiance, nostalgia, etc.
If we ever travel back to the area, we will be sure to book a room in the area across the street - you can't go wrong! There were also what looked like more condo-type accommodations, but I don't know what those were like.
Prior reviews complained that this location was too busy with weddings and whatnot, but there was no wedding the weekend we stayed here. We were relieved because that meant we were able to get moved to the nice room, but wish more couples would have had that great anniversary date since it was ours! :)
I am only giving 4/5 for sleep quality because of our first night. If I could only review the second night, it would be 5+!
Thank you for making our stay so memorable - your generosity was appreciated more than you will ever know!

Room Tip: Be sure to book a larger room - it is worth so much more than having a standard room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Laura:
Thank you so much for your very comprehensive and complimentary review of our hotel and restaurant. I was very pleased to see that Pat at the front desk who recently retired after 28 years at our front desk was able to better accommodate you the second evening and that you ultimately ended up enjoying your stay more.
Thank you again and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.
Franklin, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

We've been visiting Jackson since the 80's and the Wentworth always draws us back. In a beautiful hamlet at the foot of a magnificent cascade, this grand old inn places you close to skiing, golf, outlet shopping & nightlife in North Conway, mountains, and tremendous hiking. Owners Fritz and Ellie Koeppel never fail to place customer satisfaction and quality at the top of their priorities. Their highly-rated dining room never disappoints, and their intimate lounge sports top-notch cocktail-slinging by Leon, and super entertainment by pianomeister Ronnie Chase. Keep up the great work folks, we'll be back soon!

Room Tip: Rooms inside the Inn proper are nice, but we always prefer one of the close outbuildings, such as th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you so much for such loyalty to our hotel and for taking the time to share your Wentworth experience with the readers of Trip Advisor. It is always lovely for us to welcome back guests such as yourselves and it makes our dedication to The Wentworth very worthwhile. I will be sure to pass along your kind words with both Leon and Ronnie so that they may be recognized for their efforts.
Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Windham, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and I stay in Jackson a few times a year, but this is the first time we chose to stay at the Wentworth. Our favorite inn was recently sold, so we thought we'd give it a try. It is in a picturesque location in Jackson, but it was extremely difficult to find our unit that was adjacent to the inn, as we arrived at dinner time, and there wasn't anyone willing to escort us. The outside lighting and signage was very poor.

After many phone conversations with Pat prior to booking at the Wentworth, we decided that the unit, boasts more luxurious amenities, was the place for us to celebrate our milestone anniversary. Immediately upon entering the building, and our room, which was well appointed, yet a little dated, we both noticed a very strong animal odor. We were completely taken back by this because we were assured that the Wentworth was a 'Pet Free' inn, as it stated on their website. However, as the night progressed, we were certain that we heard a dog barking as we were getting ready for dinner. Shortly after we had gone to bed, after a lovely late dinner, we heard a dog pacing back and forth above us, jumping from the bed to the floor, and again we heard barking, clear as day. It kept us up throughout the night, and as the night wore on I had to take my allergy medication. To clarify, I was more than persistent with Pat regarding their no pet policy before I booked this weekend as I am extremely allergic to animals, and cannot tolerate pet dander.

Low and behold on Saturday morning as were heading up the stairs into the building after just having had breakfast, were greeted by an older gentlemen who was coming down the stairs with his giant DOG! He was shushing the dog who pounced at us and began barking loudly as we passed. Of course now our inclination regarding all the noise and smell from the night before had been validated, and we were livid to say the least. We immediately called the front desk to ask if they were indeed a pet free facility and again Pat assured us they were. I told her about the man and dog and she said she would look into it. I even gave her the make, model and color of the car as I watched him and his DOG leave. I wanted to give the front desk all the details I could to support our accusations. Pat was pleasant enough, but didn't seem surprised really. She said she would look into it for and us. I explained how upset I was because we got little sleep the previous night because of all the barking, pacing/jumping that the dog was doing overhead, and my allergies were at their worst. We went out for the day to explore, and upon returning we literally bumped into this same man and his giant DOG again in the entry way near our room. My husband asked the man if he and the DOG were staying in our unit, and his reply was, "Why yes were are, on the top floor." Needless to say we were flabbergasted!

We immediately called down to the front desk and spoke to Charlie telling him what we had just encountered, and debriefing him about my earlier conversation with Pat regarding the man and his DOG. While he was nice enough, his only solution to this person breaking hotel policy, was for us to change our room (it's now 7pm and we are just about to go for dinner) and relocate to their only available accommodation which was a condo. Really? Our romantic anniversary weekend that we planned for so long, and he wants us to spend it in a family condo? It became very obvious to us that they knew full well that this man was in fact staying with his dog at the inn. And yet again, we had another sleepless night with the dog barking and pacing back and forth above us. What's even more exasperating than that, at no point did they apologize or attempt to move this man knowing that he was supposedly breaking policy.

Upon check out, and after much discussion with Pat, we were given a comp for one lousy night. After calling the next day and speaking with the manager, we were told that even though they list on their website that the inn is indeed pet free, they do in fact allow pets on a case by case basis. She stated that she would take the matter up with the owner when he returned from vacation and get back to me regarding a more comparable solution, which of course never happened. Bottom line, advertising that you are a PET FREE inn, when in actuality you are not, is deceptive. And the manner in which you dealt with this situation, was dishonest. We would never stay here again. We would caution anybody who has an aversion or allergy to pets to think twice before booking here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank A L
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for your review and just to address a few of your issues with the other readers of Trip Advisor. We do not accept pets in any of our guest rooms although we do have a lovely hotel dog named Annie who sometimes visits with our guests in our hotel lobby. The dog in question for this visit is Misty a beautiful, friendly border collie who belongs to the gentleman who plays our piano on Friday and Saturday nights. Unfortunately during this guests visit his normal staff room with a separate entrance was being worked on and he was moved temporally to a staff room on the third floor of this cottage – and not directly above this guest’s room. Due to their issues on Friday evening their room was given to them complimentary and on the Saturday night Misty spent the evening all by her lonesome in an office so as not to disturb these guests. At the time of their visit this solution seemed acceptable to them so it is upsetting for us after all of our efforts to accommodate these guests to see this review.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I just got home from spending a wonderful weekend at The Wentworth with my boyfriend. From the time we checked in until the time we checked out I felt like I was living in a fairytale. The inn is beautiful with a lot of charm and character, our room was very nice and cozy with the gas fireplace and the food was absolutely delicious. With the exception of having to call twice to have the maintenance man fix the fireplace I have absolutely no complaints. I can't even complain about that. The first time I called, I am pretty sure I hadn't even hung up the phone when there was a knock at the door. Overall our getaway was perfect and we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in Arden 404. I hope we can have that same room when we go back. It was perfect for us.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you so much for your nice review and for spending the weekend with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your nice review will be shared with all of my staff so that they can be recognized for their efforts. I apologize for the fireplace not working at first and pleased to read that it did get fixed for you.
Thank you again and room 404 will be waiting for you for your next visit.
Owner and Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,237 reviews
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#6 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to The Wentworth? Share your experiences!