“Pleasant stay, with public areas being nicer than rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wentworth

The Wentworth
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Jackson
Congers, New York
“Pleasant stay, with public areas being nicer than rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night recently during a stop over on our way home from Maine. Overall, this is a very nice and quaint country hotel, with friendly people and service.

LOCATION: Located within the very small town of Jackson, where once you cross over the red covered bridge you feel like you are transported to yesteryear, the hotel is an elegant old country inn. It's a good location for exploring the surrounding area, but there isn't much within Jackson per se, except the beautiful, cascading waterfalls, which are probably about 1 mile from the hotel. You can probably walk if you are willing to walk uphill.

ROOM: The room itself was clean and comfortable, albeit basic. We stayed on the second floor of the original inn building, and our bathroom (which must have been an addition to the original structure at some point) was clearly slanted and leaning, as old buildings tend to do. I guess that adds to the "charm" for some, but, for me, it's not my cup of tea. An interesting feature was the 3 or 4 deadbolts on our room door; although we didn't feel unsafe at all, all the locks left us wondering if we were in Vermont or Detroit - why the need for all the locks, one wonders?

SERVICE & AMENITIES: The main, public spaces of the hotel (lobby, dining room, etc.) are clearly more beautiful than the basic room that we got, so it may be beneficial to spend more time relaxing there rather than in your room. We didn't stay long enough to really experience the amenities, but the front desk staff was friendly and pleasant enough during our stay, and check-in and out were a breeze. The main corridors leading to the rooms were pretty nondescript and could use some attention.

BREAKFAST: Breakfast was included in our room rate, which was a nice feature. Breakfast is served in the downstairs dining room, and you have the option of the ample buffet spread or ordering something from the menu, or both. It's your standard fare -- eggs, pancakes, french toast and the like - but was a much appreciated start to the day. Also, once we informed our waitress that we needed to get going to make a reservation that we had at nearby Washington Cog Railway, she sped up the process and got us out of there in great time. The breakfast is a $12/per person value. Also, see my separate review for The Wentworth restaurant, where we ate dinner.

VALUE: We booked a special through Sniqueaway (now Jetsetter.com), for a total of $105 per night, which we thought was a great value. Look for specials to get a great deal at this hotel.

Overall, we would stay here again if in the area, especially for the price and the included breakfast. I'd like to see the rooms and public corridors upgraded a bit and given some character reminiscent of the time of the building. Of course, this could have simply been our choice of room level, or the particular room we were given.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you for your detailed and very pleasant review of our hotel. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and your breakfast. Just to note that we will be doing a major renovation this winter connecting the main inn to an adjacent building and adding twelve more suites, with this renovation all of the corridoors of the main inn will be redone so this will be a very exciting time for The Wentworth.
Thank you again for your nice review and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Owner and Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Epping Forest, Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed in one of the original cottages attached to this hotel, and our room was large and comfortable, with Jacuzzi bath and everything else you could want. Unfortunately some idiot had designed the air conditioning for the whole hotel with a bank of fans right outside our window, and we didn't sleep a wink. The breakfast here is good, but we didn't take dinner, as friends had booked for us elsewhere.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your nice review and for your recent visit with us. I will check into the outside condensers for the air-conditioning system to see if they are all working correctly. If working properly nothing should be heard from any guest room.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I hope you are enjoying the remainder of your New England trip.
MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Had a great time with my girlfriend at a 2 day retreat at The Wentworth. The staff was very professional, and our Arden suite was beautiful. The hot tub was arguably not worth it, I personally prefer fresh water from the jacuzzi, whereas the hot tub water had been sitting there and had some musty smells (all normal and typical for a hot tub). Breakfast was superb, and the local area is delightful. Pricey, but we really had a great time.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your nice review and I am so glad that you and your girlfriend had such a nice stay.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.
NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Wentworth ticks most of the boxes. The room is pleasant enough, the bathroom large, the fireplace is nice etc etc. It just didn't move beyond "good" for us. The service at the front desk was patchy. We were served by a nice lady upon check-out, but the gentleman on the desk at check-in was brisk indeed. There was no offer of help with our bags. There was no wifi in the Fairlawn suites where we stayed, and we had to walk across to the main lobby for access. No cell reception for us at all. While this may have been an issue in Jackson, and not at the hotel, I wish we had been warned of this before arrival.

Dinner and breakfast were included in our package. Both meals were excellent, especially dinner, where the food rivalled the White Barn Inn in Kennebunk. But once again, it fell down on the service. We waited a while to be seated, and the gentleman who led us to our table said, "sit here or sit there - it is a busy night!" Not exactly the welcome you would expect. Breakfast was very good value, and very nice.

I picked this hotel and this suite because it seemed like the best luxury option in Jackson. It was technically good, but fell short on service.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent visit and for this nice review but I am sorry to read that we fell short on a few items. Charlie at the front desk wants to pass along his apologies if he appeared brisk, usually we cannot stop him talking and Josh in the dining room also apologizes if he appeared too casual - I think he was just trying to give you a few choices of tables. We did check the WiFi in Fairlawn and it was down, that has since been rectified and my apologies again that it was not noticed in time for your stay. Cell phone reception here is spotty, especially if not on a Verizon network.
Thank you again for your visit and your review and we do hope to welcome you back with better service some day.
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days. We had booked a Fairlawn Suite, but when we got to the room, it was dark and depressing, it had creased bed linen ( almost like someone had already used it) Frayed towels and ripped bathrobes - totally unacceptable. The Hot Tub was on a tiny balcony, so you couldn't even walk around it, it was enclosed with one tiny window, encased in grubby net curtains with a plastic flower window basket. Awful.
So, we duly went back to reception and complained. We didn't get an apology once. First rule of excellent customer service - always apologise. And believe me, we were polite, having been in customer orientated industries for many years ourselves.
We were told we could move to room 406 in Arden. So it meant hauling our cases once more up flights of stairs, as there is no porter here! This room was slightly better, smaller, but it did have a few more windows,( and no net curtains!) still one bathrobe was torn, but hey ho, complaining doesn't really get you any where in this hotel, they just look at you amazed, that you have the audacity!!
The hotel itself is so depressing, in need a of a facelift, the bar area is so old fashioned and dismal and doesn't open until 4pm, so if you want a cup of tea, you are out of luck before 4pm!
Breakfast is fine, get there early or it slows right down, when it gets busy. There is a decent continental selection and a hot menu to choose from.
Dinner, is much raved about, so we had high expectations. The food is quite good but far from perfect. Every meal had issues, really simple things as well - Lumpy Whipped Potato, and I mean a whole potato sized lump! undercooked regular potato, Choice of wine not available etc.The main complaint for us, was that after finishing our appetiser, the server took my dirty knife off my plate and put it back on the table for me to re-use, it was covered in pureed parsnip! He did the same thing to my husbands plate as well. We were open mouthed with shock! Is there a knife shortage? "Did he really do that?" my husband asked in wonder!!!!!!
WOW!
The hotel has an air of depression, which I've never encountered before, it is poorly maintained and the lack of attention to detail is quite surprising, even down to, broken coat hangers in the wardrobe - is it too much trouble for housekeeping to keep on top of these things? Throw away frayed towels and ripped bathrobes???
We really would have checked out and gone somewhere else, but all of the good places were fully booked by this point. I cant understand how this hotel gets such good reviews - Jackson is lovely and the area and location are great, but thats it. Very disappointing.

2 Thank SWIFTYS
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent visit with us and for your review. I am very sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations. I was so surprised to read that you did not like your Fairlawn Hot Tub room, those are our most popular and most recently renovated rooms, but I was pleased that you were a bit more satisfied with your room in the Arden Cottage. I am also sorry that you did not like our recent renovations to our lounge area, new carpet, tables, light fixtures, glass bar countertop - so far I have only heard positive comments on the new look in there.
I will ask our Housekeeping Supervisor to go through her linen supply and keep an eye out for any older linen, to find this trend in both rooms is unacceptable and I apologize for that. I will also speak with our Dining Room Manager regarding the knife situation you experienced - again unacceptable. Thank you again for bringing these items to our attention and again I apologize for some of the shortfalls you experienced in our hotel.
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed at one of their gorgeous condos and were blown away at how nice it was. So clean and beautifully decorated. Awesome views and lovely grounds. Great location! We stayed in 6D, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent visit and I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our condominiums. They are all privately owned and we rent these out for the owners so I will be sure to pass along your nice comments with the owner of this particular unit.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Lancashire, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at the Wentworth for 3 nights as part of a 3 week trip to the New England area. This was by far the worst hotel of our trip. The public areas of the hotel were very nice but some needed a lick of paint. We were allocated rm 321 on the 2nd floor of the main inn. The stairway carpet was grotty, stained and in need of hoovering. The paintwork on the bannister was discoloured with dirt and dust. Our room wasn't overly clean and we were horrified to find black hairs on the pillows! We assume from previous occupants. The staff on reception rectified the pillow issue and room cleaning although it still wasn't to our standards. I was disappointed to note that when we checked out the stairway etc was still dirty with no attempt having been made despite our comments. I again mentioned it when we checked out and was assured it would be sorted. I'm afraid I had lost faith of it being sorted for the next guests.

Our room was a standard double with a tiny very dated bathroom, the carpet needed replacing in the room. The room looked out at the front of the hotel which was ok but we did get road and parking noise. The room was very hot so I rang reception to ask how to work the air conditioning to be told that it had been turned as it was out of season, I should mention that the weather was unseasonably warm in the mid 70's. I did ask for a fan which was provided.

The hotel definitely needs a full refurbishment if all the rooms were like ours.

We ate breakfast in the hotel and we found service to be very hit and miss constantly asking for tea, milk etc. On the first morning it was far from a relaxing experience as the bar adjacent to the dining room was having a new bar top fitted so lots of banging and drilling. Surely this could have been done after breakfast service?

The one positive thing about the hotel is dinner in the restaurant which was fabulous with great service from our waiter Leo. I think the success of the restaurant is due to the dining room manager Josh who was absolutely excellent.

We would not stay here again, nor would we recommend until the decor and cleanliness is brought up to standard of other quality establishments we have stayed on our trip.

Despite our issues, the inn seems popular although I did note a couple of other guests complaining and actually witnessed one couple who after seeing their room left.

It's a shame as the hotel is in a lovely village location with good access to the North Conway and white mountain area.

Room Tip: Do not have a room on the second floor of the main inn.