“If you are in need of some R&R this is the place!”
Review of The Wentworth

The Wentworth
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Jackson
northern new england
“If you are in need of some R&R this is the place!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The wentworth met our expectations and I read a ton of reviews before our stay!
My husband requested some R&R for his 50th birthday and THE WENTWORTH delivered! We had a suite and the amenities of our room (fireplace, steam shower and private hottub on the balcony with tv) plus a small sitting room off the bedroom really made a big impact on the relaxing part.
The dining plan was great as we enjoy treating ourselves to multiple course meals.
The food was very good, to excellent. It was interesting because our two nights Sunday & Monday were VERY different experiences in the dining room. Sunday was incredibly slow service, there appeared to be only one gentlemen handling the entire dining room and perhaps the bar as well(?) we waited a very long time for EVERYTHING. I understand waiting between courses and enjoy having some time to digest my food and visit with my husband between but 20-25 mins for a cocktail and to order is way too long. Also I had to ask the waiter to explain our meal plan to us as he didn't offer any information regarding this on his own.
The 1st course- mussels I didn't care for but the iceburg salad and the scallops were very good as well as the creme brule, not the best I've had but very good. I appreciated the multiple GF options and the chef's high level of understanding to this food allergy.
Monday night experience was entirely different, we were greeted by the dining room manager Josh who introduced himself and then the waitress (can't recall her name!) walked us through the meal plan, specials, explained the bill and what wasn't included (more on that in the cons list) etc. She was fabulous and brought us the pre- course tasting (though it was on the menu Sunday we didn't receive it) of fig and bleu cheese (awesome!) our food was incredible; perhaps one of our best ever! The crab salad was perfect, the feta watermelon salad was light and refreshing and the poached Maine lobster served over risotto (instead of pasta for the gluten allergy) was INCREDIBLE! (I have lived in coastal Maine all my life and know a good lobster and rarely order it in a restaraunt because of this.) Flourless chocolate torte was the perfect finish, not too sweet.
Breakfast both mornings was nice, they had small table with fresh fruits, pasteries (none gf) cereals and juices while you wait for your menu item. I had the omelette of the day each morning with, bacon, homefries, and gf toast (a real treat). Breakfast was a much faster pace and a really great way to start off each day.
The covered porch where smoking was allowed was a nice treat for those that enjoy an after dinner cigar or pipe. There was also a small covered porch at the enterance of our building with seats for the same purpose.
The town was really adorable, a side walk through the entire town makes it completely walkable, some cute little shops and Jackson Falls just a short walk up the street from the inn was in itself worth the trip to the white mountains.
The cons were: I understand the reviews that rate the service poorly. At check in I had to ask Michelle what room we were in and she didn't offer any details of our package or the grounds of the inn. At check out I waited 10 mins at the front desk, was sure there was someone in the back office as I could here someone on a keyboard but when I called out 3 seperate times, " Good morning!" "hello?" "Is there anyone here?" all went unanswered, so I went back to our room in the pouring rain and came back just before we drove out and was happy to see that the owner(?) was there with another customer.
Another con was that the price I was given on the internet and over the phone though it includeds breakfast, the room, and four course dinner does NOT include gratuities (which are expected on the menu price of each course.), meal tax or room tax. They added up to more than $65 each night additional to the price given at time of reservation, as well as alcohol- to be expected- but prices varied greatly $6.50/per drink the 1st night to $10 the 2nd for nearly the same cocktail.
The view from the dining room (who wants to sit and look at the parking lot?) and the room was disappointing, no view of the mountains.
Though the cons list is a little lengthy each one was minor and I list solely for the purpose for the owners to use as constructive critisim and not just to be negative.
We really enjoyed ourselves and I would recommend this to our family and friends that enjoy peace and quiet as well as good food.

2 Thank METT4
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and for posting such a detailed review on Trip Advisor which is truly appreciated. Your positive feedback will be shared with those involved so that they may be recognized for their efforts and your constructive criticism will be used to address the areas where we were not quite up to par.
We are really pleased that we provided you with much needed R&R and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Owner and Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Elegance in a country setting. Beautifully appointed suite with attention to detail. Very romantic and we had the addition of breakfast and dining. Both service and food were exceptional. We will be returning soon!

Room Tip: We stayed across the street from the main quarters in Fairview (?) I believe was the name. Beautifu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review and I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your Fairlawn Suite and your dinner and breafast with us. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back very soon.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

A warm welcome from Patricia at reception who helped us plan our two day stay advising on things to do, she gave exemplary service. We loved the hotel and our room and the only criticism was the restaurant where we ate on both nights. The first night the food was good the second night the main course of fish was under cooked and both our desserts of wam apple and ice cream were served cold. Jojo the waitress tried to resolve but we were disappointed that the chef would allow the warm apple to be served cold. Breakfast on our final morning was also a problem in as much as the cooked part for one of us came without toast and we waited ten minutes for it to arrive then chased the waiter who had simply forgotten that he was supposed to serve it after having said he would. This is a great place to stay so I hope that the above concerns over the restaurant are noted and don't put people off choosing the hotel. Once again full marks to Patricia at reception.

Room Tip: Pick at least a superior room you will not be disappointed
1 Thank Alan D
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at The Wentworth and for providing us with this very valuable feedback. Patricia is a gem and has worked at our Front Desk for 28 years. I have never seen her without a welcoming smile and a genuine need to be helpful. We nominated her for "Lodging Employee of the Year" for the State of NH a few years back which she deservedly won and we are so very proud to have her and also thankful every day to have her represent The Wentworth at our Front Desk. I also do appreciate the feedback on your dinners and breakfast and these issues will be addressed immediately.
Thank you again for your review and for travelling so far to visit us and we hope that should you ever find yourself in this area again we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at The Wentworth Inn. Built in the 1800's it is well cared for. Located in the White Mountains, the surroundings are beautiful. The staff was friendly and helpful. Dinner and breakfast were both delicious. Nice variety to select from.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review and for travelling from so far to visit us. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the readers of Trip Advisor.
We hope that should you ever find yourselves in New England again you will come and visit us again.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is a nice building in a nice setting; the rooms are reasonable; there's a pool; and the restaurant serves decent food. But our stay was spoiled by the lack of friendly, helpful service. The staff constantly made us feel as if we were in the wrong (when we weren't). Disappointing. If the staff do not change their attitudes I'm afraid that the Wentworth's popularity will undoubtedly diminish.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tim W
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your review and for your recent stay at our hotel. I could not agree with you more, a hotel can have the nicest rooms and amenities but if the service is not there a stay can be ruined. My management team and I have been trying for a few days to figure out what happened with your stay and we are unable to pinpoint any specific incident. If you would not mind contacting me directly at ellie@thewentworth.com and giving me any details I would appreciate it.
I have a wonderful staff, many that have been with the hotel for several years and I hear over and over again how friendly and helpful they are. I am very proud of them and I would hate to see their reputation tarnished by the actions of a few.
Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that I will hear from you.
Montréal
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 4 days - and three nights at the Wentworth. Everything about the hotel was great. Our room, a suite with our own outdoor hot tub was superb. Everything worked perfectly, including the steamer in the shower....The restaurant was first-class and the breakfasts were really great. The lobby area was perfect - cosy and comfortable. The beds in our room were super comfortable...It was also extremely quiet during the night and we slept very well. The whole White Mountain area was gorgeous. The outlet shops, 15 minutes away in North Conway were lots of fun. my wife and I heartily recommend the Wentworth.....

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Michael M
EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your three night stay with us and we are so pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay so much that you have taken the time to share your thoughts with the readers of TripAdvisor.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Athol, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 5, 2013

..into the quieter, less hectic post-Victorian era, perhaps. This old hotel is a gem, somewhat secluded from the beaten track of the commercial White Mountain region, but convenient to everything. In the little town of Jackson, it's a lovely location. Formerly a vacation community, the hotel has everything from basic rooms up to luxury suites. We chose a smaller, less ornate room,a and found it clean, comfortable, pleasant. There's a lovely huge porch across the front to relax on.

Breakfast is served daily, and it's delightful--continental or hungry-man style. Dinner is available also: the restaurant is small, elegant, and very good! The meal we ate there was definitely of the gourmet variety, interestingly cooked, beautifully presented. Many other options for eating are available in the are if you wis h to go out, however.

EllieKoeppel, Owner at The Wentworth, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your nice review and we are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your accommodations, dining and the village of Jackson itself.
Sharing your experience with the readers of Trip Advisor is very much appreciated and we look forward to your next visit.
Owner and Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Lodge at Jackson Village
Comfort Inn & Suites North Conway
Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club

Been to The Wentworth? Share your experiences!